Thursday 4 July 2019

Walks - Saturday July 6 - Wednesday July 10


This, my friends, is the look of the newly retired - congratulations, Leverne

Oh my goodness, the heat, the humidity - yikes. 

I suggest an early start for Saturday's walk.  For those who are interested, let's start at 7:30 am and get some distance in before the heat cranks up. Others may start at 8:00 am, especially if your distance is modest - just let others know your start time - it is helpful. 

Other walking options:
Evenings at 6:30 pm, Monday (Loblaws or Taylor Creek-Dawes Road entrance); Wednesday (Occasions).

Daytime- If you want to walk on Monday or/and Wednesday mornings, please contact Lou-Ann.

Announcements and Information:
from Ruth - adapted from Lee Scott's newsletter: The wonderful race organizers of the Run for the Toad, Peggy and George Sarson, have just announced today that 2019 will be the last time the Run for the Toad is offered. I encourage ALL OF YOU to sign up for the 12.5k walk. The race is Saturday, October 5. This is by far one of the best local races…the course is a fun trail route. The post-race lunch is spectacular! The swag is good. The vibe is exceptional. George and Peggy are the BEST! Here is link to sign up. https://raceroster.com/events/2019/19611/run-for-the-toad 

from Libby Race training for two races begin. The Ottawa trio need distances of 10 K Saturday and  6 and 8 k during two weekdays. The Corning crowd start their schedule with an easy 3 and 5 K during the week. 
Remember to consider the Beaches Jazz Race at the end of the month. Choice of 5, 10 or 20K distances to entice you! A great local race in our home turf.

from Susan: Some inspiration in an article about health in Zoomer:  - Walking for one hour three times a week improved cognitive performance in seniors with vascular cognitive disorder — the second most common cause of dementia. And an international review found that one in three cases of dementia could be prevented by addressing nine factors, including lack of physical activity.




10 comments:

Lou-Ann said...

I will meet walkers at 8:00 tomorrow...(got to get one of my three walks in this week, after reading Susan's info.) Careful of this heat for you distancers. CONGRATULATIONS Leverne...exciting times ahead!!

Susan said...

I'm game to start at 7:30 am if I have company for my walk. Otherwise, 8:00 am.

Unknown said...

I'll be there for 8. Planning on only 5 or 6k.

Charlotte said...

I will be there for 8:00 unless it is raining.

Barbara Brown said...

Huge congratulations Leverne!

The heat and humidity are frightening me, so please don’t wait for me as I may not come. Have a good weekend everyone.

Sharon KJ said...

I'll be there for 8, with Barb and Laura.

SKJ

Anonymous said...

Some of us will be there for 7:30
Thanks for the good wishes all
Leverne

Helen said...

We'll be walking from Lou-Ann's on Monday morning.

Susan said...

I won't be out Monday or Wednesday this week - will be visiting with a friend in Prince Edward County. Enjoy your walks. See you Saturday.

Helen said...

It’s Wednesday, and Bob and I will be joining the morning walkers at Lou-Ann’s.