Thursday 25 April 2019

Walks: Sat. April 27 to Wed. May 1

Time to get hoppin'
Only a few more walks in April – the month has gone so quickly! – let's hope we can make the most of them. Come join us at Tim Horton's on Lake Shore at Leslie, 8 am Saturday, for walking and talking. You choose the distance. At the moment, no one seems to be training for races.

The route planners have been talking about an alternative Saturday route sometime soon, for those who like to mix it up. Stay tuned for details!

Our weekly schedule also includes:

  • Sunday morning at 8:30 am at the Running Room on Queen Street.
  • Monday (Loblaws, Gerrard/Vic Park) and Wednesday (Occasions) at 6:30 pm – as usual, weather permitting. It's especially useful if you sign in for weeknight walks!
  • Wednesday at 9:00 am at Tim's – usually Charlotte sends a confirming email to the regulars in this morning group. Let her know if you want to be added to the list.

Race news from Libby:

Congratulations to Ruth (and Dianne) as they braved the rain in the Good Friday Race in Burlington. Here is Ruth's report. Maybe more will try this out next year. The 5K is likely more walker friendly.

Well, the medal is really cute.  And the volunteers were the nicest I’ve ever experienced – friendly, supportive, smiling.  And they stuck it out to the bitter end without glaring at us for making them stand in the rain.  Also they had a pretty nice selection of food afterwards.  I think much of the difference was that the volunteers were “real” volunteers, rather than high school kids coerced into doing it.  But even the Halton police were friendly. Dianne and I were certain we’d fulfilled Arlene’s goal of finishing DFL, but it turns out one woman came in after us.  So we’re going to try for DFL again next year. Very few people do 10K, and the rest were all runners, so we really were out there alone (good thing I had Dianne).  I’d say it would be a nice race for a sunny day. It really does make a difference when the race is put on by people who care.

Keep on training and let Libby know of any races you choose to enter. Beaches Jazz festival and Shakespeare's Run the Night are open for summer consideration!

Hope to see you all soon out on the trails.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, spring IS on its way.

16 comments:

Barbara Brown said...

I will not be out this weekend as I am away with work. Hopefully back on track next weekend. Hope the weather co-operates and that everyone has a good weekend.

Libby said...

Arlene and I will be back at Tim’s this week. Look forward to catching up

Olwyn said...

I won't be out Saturday morning as I have to work; hope to be back out again next week ~
Beautiful photo of the crocuses...croci?!? have a great week everyone!

Lou-Ann said...

I plan on walking Saturday...let's make a few extra bows to the Blue Sky Gods for Saturday...

Unknown said...

My mind says yes, my body says no. Hopefully I can get both on the same page by morning. Need to get moving.

Sharon KJ said...

Weather report says 0% chance of rain during the day but high winds. I'll take my chances and come out for a walk. I'll bring Barb along, too.

SKJ

Anonymous said...

I hope to be out. Wind is fine, but I had enough rain today to last me for a while. So I'll join Lou-Ann in praying to the Blue Sky Gods.

Ruth

Helen said...

Planning to be there on Saturday, dressed for the weather.

Anonymous said...

I will be out this morning, appropriately dressed for winter
Leverne

Kim said...

Are we walking tonight?

Helen said...

Bob and I will be at the Hot Docs festival on Monday, walking between films. Weather permitting, we should be out on Wednesday.

Jan said...

Working tonight ( deadline tomorrow)

Helen said...

I'd be willing to do a short walk on Wednesday, with the usual "weather permitting" caveat. For example, if the wind dies down and it isn't raining…

Jan said...

Ditto - on my way home now.

Helen said...

I predict an 80% chance of not walking tonight. Unfortunately.

Jan said...

Make that 100% for me!