Friday 8 February 2019

Walks: Sat. Feb. 9 to Wed. Feb. 13

Not too many dark nights like these anymore!
Forgive the lateness of this week's post – Susan is having tech problems and I had schedule problems. But here we are at last!

Who knows what the weather will bring on Saturday! Our driveway is like a skating rink this morning. But hardy souls might choose to gather at Tim's at 8 am, dressed and equipped for anything. Those who have chosen to do the PATH over past weeks have managed to get in 6-8K in relative warmth and safety. Please sign in to say where you prefer to be. (The tropics might be nice.)

Sunday walkers meet at 8:30 am at the Running Room on Queen Street.Evening walkers meet at 6:30 pm at Loblaws (Monday) and Occasions (Wednesday). Always check the comments section before you head out, as evening walk times and destinations can change with the weather.Day time walkers meet on Wednesday mornings - Charlotte sends a confirming email.

A few things from our members:

First, Olwyn wants us to think about the Carrot app (some of us use it now with our Scene card to earn points towards free movies/popcorn):
If you sign up, you can actually earn points by walking! We already walk a lot; why not earn some points along the way?
 
Next, Helen was contacted by filmmaker Jeremy Workman about his new documentary, opening today:
My documentary THE WORLD BEFORE YOUR FEET s opening in Toronto on Friday and I think your group would really appreciate it. It's about walking! More specifically, it's about Matt Green's mission to walk every street of New York City . Matt is really inspiring. He lives off $10-$15/ day and has devoted his life to this walking project. More than a quirky stunt, his walk is about something a bit deeper: connecting with your world, discovering the wonder right in front of you, taking advantage of every day.
Anyways, the movie has been getting this amazing response in the US (the film is 100% on RottenTomatoes) and now we're opening in Toronto at the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema.
Here's info
https://bit.ly/2HQTjj8
Here's the film's trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xe4MT4YP8s


He adds: "Maybe this is something you can share with your group! I think they'd really like it. Perhaps there’s even an idea to do a group walk to the cinema!" Any takers, if the weather improves?

Finally, from Chief Motivator Libby:

Motivation alert for any interested in a half marathon along the sea wall in Vancouver in late August. Next week- February 13 the application for the draw for this race opens. You will be notified if you are successful in the draw. Cost is steep at 175 CDN but the loot bag is amazing...from Lululemon.
I could really do with some racers to train for half so I could post a training schedule...just saying.


That's it from me! Be safe, be warm, be well, be happy!

I'll share this via our internal email system.

24 comments:

Deanna said...

I won’t be out this weekend. Too sick with a cold/flu.

Anonymous said...

My sympathies to Deanna. I hope it is "just" a cold and not the flu.

I'll be out tomorrow, in the hopes that the ice has largely disappeared.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

I won’t be out tomorrow morning -still unpacking and trying to figure out what to get rid of!
That documentary looks very interesting and I’ll try to see it, but just don’t know if I’ll make it.

Dawn

Lynne said...

I'm interested in doing the PATH again tomorrow if I have company. Not interested in slipping on ice...

Barbara Brown said...

I am interested in the PATH also. Looking forward to joining the group again.

Olwyn said...

I won't be out tomorrow; working tonight and again tomorrow....the winter opera season will soon be over and then I can come out Saturdays again! Safe walking everyone!

Lou-Ann said...

I am interested in the path, but would like someone to come with me for the drive that know the way and where to park...I don't mind driving...let me know via my e-mail address please...

Susan said...

Most likely, I will walk from Tim's tomorrow (weather and ice dependent).

A few of us are planning to see the documentary (posted above) on Saturday at 2:00 pm. Want to join us? Looks really interesting to me, especially given that it takes place in my favourite city, NYC.

Helen said...

I have a feeling that today's weather had little impact on the ice, so I'm going to declare for the PATH. Perhaps those who want to do that can email me and we'll try to set up some car-pooling?

Eileen said...

I’m going to pass this weekend. In need of a good old fashioned sleep-in!

Sharon KJ said...

What time and where do we meet for the walk in the PATH?

SKJ

Unknown said...

I'll be walking on my treadmill tomorrow morning. Hopefully things will be good for next week. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Kim said...

I am interested in walking on the path tomorrow. Sorry for the late entry. I was entertaining tonight. Lou-Anne—I will drive you if I haven’t left it too late.

Jan said...

I'm out of town tomorrow so won't be out. Stay safe everyone.

Charlotte said...

Is anyone walking from Tim's?

Susan said...

Anyone walking Monday night? Hope so - or should I go now in the sunlight and daylight?

Jan said...

I won't be out - going a little nuts getting ready to go away.

Susan said...

I walked during the light hours so won't be out tonight. Not sure if anyone is walking anyway.....getting nippy now, btw.

Helen said...

If it's just Bob and I, we'll probably pass – he's up to his eyes in a construction project.

Kim said...

I’m not coming out either.

Jan said...

Just in case anyone is considering it I am def not walking tonight!! I think this qualifies as bad weather.

Susan said...

And, the same goes for Wednesday - I'm definitely not walking due to this weather AGAIN

Hope to see you Saturday.

Lynne said...

Won't be out tonight, in case anyone thought I would!

Helen said...

Well, normally, of course I'd be walking tonight. But in this case I have to give a presentation in Scarborough – and that's my excuse. :)