Thursday 10 January 2019

Walks - Saturday Jan. 12 - Wednesday Jan. 16

Happy New Year - 1st Saturday Walk

Grab your woolies and join us on Saturday at Tim's at 8:00 am for a walk (yes, it may be a short one), a visit with friends and coffee. We look forward to seeing you.

Other walking options:
Sunday morning 8:30 am at the Running Room on Queen St.
Week nights at 6:30 pm Monday (Loblaws) and Wednesday (Occasions).
Wednesday morning at 9:00 am at Tim's Lakeshore - Charlotte sends a confirming email to the regular walkers.

This is the perfect time to start walking, or to return to walking especially if you have been missing in action, injured or ill. The distances are reasonable and the people are friendly.

Information from LouAnn - Lee Scott is offering a WOW refresher session - a great way to improve your walking. Intro/Refresh Workshop - SATURDAY, JANUARY 19 10AM-NOON
COACH: LEE.  LOCATION: High Park, meet in front of Grenadier Park Cafe @ 9:55am
$25.00 + HST

http://wowpowerwalking.com/walking/?fbclid=IwAR1TytL61tJFD4fEAYHTcYY3EB7GkfYR3dogyOOz7o5dHoJ1GcCCf08sSbA

from Olwyn: Found this interesting article on walking speed and thought it might be of some interest to the group. 

Here is the link - worth a read - Studies show that past the age of 65, your walking speed is a surprising reliable predictor of survival. Website is Very Well Fit.



20 comments:

Susan said...

Will be away this weekend so won't be out. See you next week. Have a good one.....

Charlotte said...

Wednesday morning walks are from Tim's, Lakeshore & Leslie, not Loblaw's as stated. We only walked from Loblaw's during the Tim's reno.

Helen said...

I'll be at a Master Gardener event all day on Saturday, so I'll miss *another* walk. Sigh. But Bob will probably be out.

And if you want to convert the speed cited in Olwyn's interesting article from minutes per mile to metric, just look at the speed conversion link under Walking Links on our website (lots of links there you might never have looked at before!). You'll see that the top speed of a 27-minute mile is a 16.78-minute kilometre. At that rate, we should all live forever.

Anonymous said...

I’ll e at Tims tomorrow. My speed is very slow these days so don’t know what that says about my survival?

Dawn

Olwyn said...

I'm planning on being out in the morning for a short walk and a long coffee. Unless it's way too cold....then I may not be out....:-)

Unknown said...

I'm with Olwyn. Short walk, long coffee. Digging out my extra thick woolies now. See you in the morning.

Lou-Ann said...

See you in the morning...not sure I like this article Olwyn...my speedometer is pretty slow these days...oh well, as long as we are walking! I like Helen's conversion though, so now I don't feel so bad...

Eva said...

I will try to be out tomorrow, Saturday; need to get back into shape after the holidays.

Anonymous said...

Sharon and I will be at Tim’s Saturday morning.

Barb S.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out - looking forward to the coffee!

Ruth

Jan said...

I plan to be out - hope it's not as cold as today though

Jan said...

Changed my mind - I think I need sleep as much as a walk. This cold has really knocked me out.

Jan said...

Anyone planning on walking tonight? I would like to.

Susan said...

I won’t be out tonight

Anonymous said...

Lynne and I will be out tonight
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I have a dentist appt tonight (Wed)
Leverne

Lynne said...

Just come in from a walk with the dog and decided I'm not going out again today. The wind is bitter out there.

Susan said...

I walked this morning so won't be out again tonight.
Enjoy the rest of your week. See you soon.

Jan said...

I was planning on going (not) but Helen talked me out of it....

Helen said...

What Jan said, except the opposite. ;^)

January 2019 will be a bit of a crazy-mixed-up month for us, with lots needing our attention on the family front. So our attendance might be spotty for a while. But we will be back on track soon, I hope!