Thursday 25 October 2018

Walks - Saturday Oct. 27 - Wednesday Oct. 31

And they're off!

Woo Hoo - congratulations to the Scotia racing crew - making us proud once again. Norma, Margy, Rainer, Olwyn, Cheryl, Arlene and Elaine had very impressive half marathon races. Helen and Bob were happy to complete the 5 km race. And Libby cheered the racers on with frozen hands a clapping. Let's acknowledge their accomplishments first...

Updates - from Rainer: A good day for the Scotia race .... Lots of runners and walkers (6,749) in the 5km. In the half walking section there were 194 entrants, we had a total of 6 Shore Things who all did well.
Margy crossed the finish line first from our group under 3 hours she was 33rd overall. As in previous races Margy broke ahead of Rainer at the finish line to cross ahead of him (no mercy in a race) Norma also broke the 3 hour barrier and Arlene and Elaine were a blistering 3:02:48. Olwyn and Cheryl finished with a very respectable 3:30:00 .... a good day for the Shore Things.

- from Helen:  it was cold but pretty watching the sun rise near Ontario Place where the race started. Helen finished with a “personal worst” for the 5K at 44 minutes. Of course that went double for Bob who chose to stick by her. But it was all worth it for the medal and the t-shirt.

Looking good

Now for the regular info:
Join us on Saturday at 8:00 am at Tim's for a walk and coffee with friends. No more training so I suspect there will not be any folks starting earlier.
Sunday walkers meet at the Running Room on Queen St. at 8:30 am.
Weekday walkers meet on Wednesday at Tim's at 9:00 or 9:15 am - Charlotte will confirm.
Weeknight walkers meet at 6:30 pm at Loblaws (Monday) and Occasions (Wednesday)

Sign in - Join in - get outside 

Announcements: from Libby - This brings an end to our race interest list for 2018. Just in case- Angus Glen 10K is on for next weekend should you wish to use your training.
The ever stalwart Olwyn will represent us while walking in the Santa Claus Parade! Look forward to seeing her costume.

The Resolution Run is always an option. This year the race is on December 30. Registration is $60 and gives you a training jacket in light purple and grey (for women).
Time to plan for next year. The blog sidebar is in process of updating for 2019 with races we have shown interest in in the past. As always, please let Libby know of any races may wish to consider.

Reminder - ShoreThings Year End Party - Sat. Nov. 10th - RSVP required.  Many thanks to Trish for hosting again this year.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to all the Scotia racers. Hope you have all thawed out and blisters are healed. I am away for the weekend. Have a good walk. See you all next week.

Jan said...

Hi all - back on this side of the pond but away for the weekend so I won't be out Saturday. Def need a walk on Monday though!! Got a lot if calories to walk off.
Congrats to the Scotiabank walkers - I hear it was pretty cold Sunday.

See (some of you) Monday.

Susan said...

Welcome home, Jan.

I won't be out on Saturday - taking a day trip to enjoy Frank Lloyd Wright's brilliant work - enjoy your walk and looking forward to seeing everyone next week.

Joan said...

Very impressed Shore Things, you are an inspiration.

Libby said...

Arlene and I will be out Saturday. Distance TBD - likely in the rain!

Anonymous said...

wont be out on Saturday as I'm away for the weekend
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I will not be out Saturday morning.

Barb Shand

Lynne said...

If it is raining or s****** I will not be walking in the morning. If it's not, then I will be out.
Lynne

Lou-Ann said...

Well done Shore Things' walkers in the Scotia, you always make us proud!!!
I will not be out tomorrow morning, time to re-arrange my house for baking which starts November 1st...the next time I see you, will be at the Shore Things' Party...looking forward to it!

Sharon KJ said...

I will not be out tomorrow. Congratulations to all the Scotia racers!

SKJ

Helen said...

What Lynne said -- heavy precipitation will stop us coming to Tim's. But we'll check in early on Saturday to confirm.

Anonymous said...

Yay - congratulations to the Scotia racers. Well done. I and my raincoat will be out tomorrow morning.

Ruth

Helen said...

Too wet for us, I’m afraid! Stay safe friends.

Susan said...

Anyone planning to walk tonight? Dreary day so I'm asking early with the hope that some will say "yes" and be able to commit early. I know, I know - working folks have competing priorities - just asking.

Helen said...

I'm hoping to walk tonight, Susan, unless bad weather interferes.

Anonymous said...

I should be out
Leverne

Kim said...

Still at work right now, so I am unlikely to get there on time.

Jan said...

I hope to be out - should be working but I need the exercise.

Helen said...

I won't be walking tonight – except to the front door to shell out hopefully all our treats. See you on Saturday, weather permitting.

Kim said...

My respectful submission is that the walk should be postponed til tomorrow, a non-Halloween night.

Susan said...

Shitty weather - if anyone is going out, sign in and I may join you - thought the rain was supposed to clear this afternoon but doesn't seem likely now.

Also, if anyone is game for Thursday night - I may join .....

Will check back later today and tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I won't be out tonight
Leverne