Friday 5 January 2018

Walks - Saturday January 6 - Wednesday January 10, 2018

Happy New Year to you and yours - may it be a happy, healthy and active one.
This week has me singing the song, Baby, its Cold Outside. I'm getting tired of the song and the cold weather - surely it will end soon.

A few suggestions for you to consider for the weekend walk.

1. Jan suggested option one:
Since it's going to be bitterly cold on Saturday how about meeting at Toronto City Hall parking lot and going via the Path through: Jan - where shall we meet in the parking lot -  it's huge?
  • Sheraton Centre
  • Richmond-Adelaide Centre
  • First Canadian Place
  • TD Centre
  • Royal Bank Plaza
  • Brookfield Place (formerly Bell Canada)
  • Commerce Court
  • Scotia Plaza
  • Hudson Bay
  • Eaton Centre
and back the way we came.  It's only about 4K but it will be warm!  And if we get lost a few times we will add a few kilometres!
There's a Tim's at Queen and Bay or I'm sure we can find something in the Sheraton Centre to meet up at the end - if we can stay underground we can leave coats in the car.What do you think?  Early in the morning there won't be a lot of foot traffic.

Here's a link to the PATH;

2. Option two - switch to Sunday morning for this week - supposed to be less frigid
Meet at Tim's at 8:00 am as usual on Sunday.

3. Option three - meet at Tim's on Saturday at 8:00 am.

Please sign the blog to let others know which option(s) you are doing.

Sunday walkers often meet at the Running Room on Queen St at 8:30 am
Weekday walks are coordinated by Nishe - she'll send an email - let us know if you want to be added to the list.
Evening walks have not been happening in this cold weather but weather permitting, we meet at 6:30 pm at Loblaws (Monday) and Occasions (Wednesday).

Announcements and Information:
from Dawn: Walk on Sat. Jan. 13th from Dawn's place followed by coffee and treats - sounds inviting to me - thanks, Dawn.  A private message will be sent with the details.

from Libby: Congrats to all the the Racers in the Hair of the Dog Race New Year's Day. Unfortunately the organizers seem to have recorded the results incorrectly but I understand fun was had by all- except for Norma. Our condolences go out to her after a nasty fall on the icy trail. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and full recovery Norma.

Just a reminder for any race enthusists- Robbie Burns Race Sunday Jan. 28 still has 8 walking spots available- It is only 8K . With luck the weather will be kind and warmer!

from Norma: who sustained an injury and is recouping well but will not be out for a few weeks.  A special thanks to an unidentified young man who came to her aid followed by Ruth and David who arrived shortly afterwards. We send our best, Norma.

from Lee Scott - check out her blog post - excellent tips on walking in frigid weather and a warm up routine that is bound to get you moving and get your heart rate up.

I will be away for a few weeks and Helen is once again going to be doing the blog - thanks, Helen.
Keep warm, stay active, keep well.  Safe travels to others who are also on the go this month.




30 comments:

Libby said...

I like Jan's suggestion for The Path. We could wven do the route twice. Interesting change!
I am also open to walking outside Sunday. Will go with concenssus!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Libby - my toes have still not warmed up after walking 2 blocks from the bus to my office. Sunday is also an option, particularly around noon, when it starts to "warm" up.

Ruth

Deanna said...

I will not be out this weekend.

Joan said...

Once again I will not be out, be safe everyone. Happy New Year!

Kim said...

The city hall option sounds interesting to me too. Also open to walking on Sunday. If we do, I would like to invite the Sunday morning walkers to join us.

Eva said...

I will not be able to walk tomorrow, Saturday. Bundle up and keep warm.
Norma, hoping for your quick recovery

Helen said...

PATH sounds good to us. We’d prefer to get it over with on Saturday. One option for coffee is the coffee shop in the basement of The Bay. Good coffee and fattening goodies, for those with calories to spare. Accessible to the PATH via the Sheraton Hotel.

Olwyn said...

Hi All, I won't be out Saturday morning. But make sure you bundle up and keep warm; or if you're walking inside, you can park underneath the Hilton Toronto and access the PATH from inside, so you don't have to bring your coats, mitts, etc. Have fun and see you soon!

Trish said...

I won't make it out Saturday morning. On Sunday going up to the Stephen Leacock Community centre to walk around the track. Indoors and free. Bundle up and stay warm.

Trish said...

Re: Walk from Dawn's next Saturday. How far would anyone like to walk. I'd be happy to map out a route. Let me know.

Lou-Ann said...

I am going to take advantage of the cold and stay home another Saturday...downtown sounds like a good plan who ever thought of that...I may do a walk around my block a couple of times a little later in the morning when it will be "much warmer"...hope to see you at Dawn's the following week...Trish didn't know the track was free...good idea! Wishing you well Norma...

Libby said...

For this doing the Path let,s meet at the entrance to the Sheraton Center from the parking lot at Queen and Bay...and plan the route from there. Please confirm

Jan said...

Sounds good to me Libby - maybe on the Sheraton Centre side of the entrance - it will be warmer!

See you there usual time? i.e. 8 am?

Not sure I'm up for 8k yet - still having toe problems - but I'll bring my crossword and wait for you in the coffee shop if you want to do 8k

Susan said...

Sounds good - see you at the Sheraton Centre at 8:00 - I don't think I've walked in 2-3 weeks so I'll be happy to stroll underground where it is sheltered from the cold.

Hope to see a few more folks there too.

Anonymous said...

I will not be out this weekend either.

Barb S.


Helen said...

Sounds good, Libby. And I agree with Jan’s suggestion.

Kim said...

I will meet you at the Sheraton centre at 8 am.

Anonymous said...

I will meet at 8 at the Sheraton Centre. Libby can you be more specific - do you mean the Sheraton Centre entrance on the level of the parking lot. That is, enter City Hall parking at Queen and Bay and then look for the Sheraton Centre entrance on that level?
Niki

Libby said...

niki..i do ean the sherton Center entrance from parking lot.. wait inside for warmth

Jan said...

That's what I thought.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Libby and Jan. Niki

Charlotte said...

I won't be walking inside or outside today. Visiting a friend in hospital.

Helen said...

Not sure about walking Monday night if the temperature drops and freezes up the melty snow. Anyone keen, or have alternative suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I will not be walking this evening or Wednesday evening. Hope the weather cooperates so that I can walk on Saturday.
Lynne

Leverne said...

I am not keen, so will pass tonight
Leverne

Helen said...

Okay, confirming that Bob and I will not be out on Monday night. Wednesday will be a wait-and-see night.

Jan said...

Ok talk me into staying home! I did a bit of snow shovelling for exercise.

Helen said...

Come to think of it, I did the same, Jan: three stretches of sidewalk, a driveway, and two front walks! I wonder how FitBit counts that?

Leverne said...

I walked to danforth tech and back, so I feel like I can opt out tonight 😃
Leverne

Helen said...

Was on a conference call, so am signing in a bit late. We have Doc Soup on Wednesday, so won't be out. Hoping (against hope) for good weather on Saturday.