Thursday 11 January 2018

Walks: Sat. Jan. 13 to Wed. Jan. 17

I think we'd all rather be with Sharon this week!
Unfortunately, our plan to walk from Dawn's on Saturday has to be cancelled. First, Dawn is now under the weather and can't host (get well soon, Dawn!). Second, the weather is under the weather and is predicted to be even more horrible than it has been – icy, which is the walker's worst friend.

Last week, those who tried it enjoyed walking the PATH downtown. This might be an option for us again. Other suggestions? If the ice is really slick, though, all bets are off. Watch this space and please leave your comments to say where you'll be.

This week is a 15th Anniversary for some of us. On Jan. 16, 2003, we went to our first Jean's Marines information night. And the rest, they say, is history – and the basis for this group. Think of all we've been through together, in every weather, and how we're still walking. Congratulations!

Weekday walks are from the usual places: Monday evening at Loblaws, Wednesday evening at Occasions, morning walks (email Nishe), Sunday mornings at the Running Room. Please do check the comments as the season has made attendance spotty. No one likes to show up to find no walking companions.

It's great that we have so many options. However, it also means we don't see each other and have the chance to bond as a group as often. It's that bonding that has helped the Shore Things thrive and survive for so long. Let's try to drop in on each other from time to time.

Be sure to let Libby know if you've signed up for any races or plan to do an alternative walk challenge in 2018. Check the Interests List in our sidebar to see what others have been tempted by. 

For those sidelined or travelling, we send you best wishes. Hope to have you back with us soon.

Note: I'm the blog gal for the next few weeks, so if you have any news or updates to mention please send them to me (Helen). Take care, friends.

Last week, some of us escaped the cold by walking the PATH system.

This is just one of the cool things we found. Any takers for a repeat?


19 comments:

Deanna said...

I am going to take a pass on walkingn& hitnthe gym instead. Safer inside as long as I can get there.

Anonymous said...

Ice skating was not on my agenda!

I'm planning to walk tomorrow and will watch the blog to see what the consensus is. I enjoyed the PATH last week and plan to let the TTC do the driving.

Ruth

Libby said...

like Ruth will wait to see the weather..Hopefully not too icy and can walk from Tim's. Envious of Susan and Sharon with their travel to warmer climes.

Anonymous said...

I think walking indoors is the safest and I enjoyed the PATH. So I vote for the PATH but will go with the consensus. Niki

Olwyn said...

I won't be out in the morning, as I'm also under the weather; think I've got the same cold that Dawn has! Stay well and stay safe, friends!

Charlotte said...

I would like to walk and am hoping for outside from Tim's. Anyone else? Not sure how to access the PATH and just where you all met up.

Jan said...

I like the PATH idea - it was warm and dry and safe!

We met at the Sheraton Hotel entrance to the City Hall Parking lot. If you park at City Hall on the first floor the entrance is on the south side of the lot. You're exposed to the outdoors for a second as you run between the parking lot and the mall, but we left our coats in our cars and walked the PATH warm and dry with no ice - ice is my biggest fear, especially with all of the rain and melting we have had over the last couple of days.

I vote for the PATH again - unless someone has another underground spot? We walked from the Sheraton Centre down to Union, up to the Bay, across to CBC then back to Union and ended in the Bay for coffee - about 5k. We could have gone on further at the end as the store was open by then but coffee beckoned!

Libby said...

Okay...Arlene and I will meet at the Sheraton (hotel) Center entrance from the City Hall parking lot as we did last week at 8 am. Entrance to parking lot for those who need to know is off Bay Street just north of Queen or off queen street north side between Bay and York.

Eileen said...

I won’t be walking for awhile but will join you at Tim’s for coffee when you’re there. Have a great walk in the Path!

Kim said...

I will meet you on the path for the walk tomorrow. I have gained some experience on the path since last week because I went to a Mirvish play (the Lorax) on King street last night and parked at the City Hall. Got lost a few times on the way back—not well marked.

May I respectfully suggest we stop for coffee at the Tim Horton’s at 65 Queen Street West after the walk? It is accessible via the path and we won’t have to worry about it not being open for food.

And Ruth, do you want a ride? I can pick you up at 7:30.

Leverne said...

Leverne and Lynne will do the path walk too
Leverne

Charlotte said...

OK, I will try and find you at the starting point. I may phone if I can't find you.

Anonymous said...

I will not be out Saturday morning.

Barb S

Helen said...

Anyone feel like walking on Monday evening? I have to admit to (once again) feeling wimpy because of the weather, but I'll go if anyone is gung-ho.

Jan said...

Just poked my nose out - it's cold and it is snowing a little so I'm not gung-ho!

Anonymous said...

I will not be leaving my warm and dry house this evening,
Lynne

Anonymous said...

I am going to the dentist, so that's my excuse
Leverne

Helen said...

Bob and I just walked back from the grocer, and it's windy and cold with slippery patches that I don't want to navigate in the dark. That's our excuse.

Jan said...

Walking home from Stan Wadlow was enough for me!