Friday 11 August 2017

Walks - Saturday Aug. 12 - Wednesday Aug. 16

Bottoms Up

Yikes - still in vacation mode - forgot to do this post in a timely manner - my apologies.

Option one:
Join us on Saturday at Tim's at 8:00 am for a distance of your choosing - main thing is to show up and walk and enjoy the company of friends.

Option two:
I'm going to suggest that those training for the Scotia Half may want to start at 7:15 - sign in on the blog to state your intended start time. Training this weekend is starting to ramp up for the Scotia Half with 12K recommended. 

Other options:
Dianne, Ruth and Susan will head out on Sunday for their long walk - scheduled training - 16 km & 26 km - maybe we could find a compromise?

Our regular Sunday walkers meet at the Running Room on Queen St. at 8:30 am. Consider joining them.

Mid-week walks
Weeknights/days for "Half" racers should be 10K both days. I do recommend trying to add hills and interval training. Both help build endurance for the race. We are scheduled for Monday (7:00 pm) at Loblaws; Wednesday (6:30 pm) at Occasions. Please join this dwindling group - we'd welcome you, I promise.

Announcements & Information: from Libby - It is great to see some new names and race interests on the blog. Congrats to Eileen and Eva for committing to race in Halifax in September. . 
Weeknights/days for "Half" racers should be 10K both days. I do recommend trying to add hills and interval training. Both help build endurance for the race.  Happy training all!

from Ruth: Article of interest:
https://theconversation.com/health-check-in-terms-of-exercise-is-walking-enough-78604

My thanks to Helen for doing the blog while I was away - thanks, as always, Helen.


18 comments:

Olwyn said...

I'll be out for the Scotiabank half 12km training walk; could we compromise for a 7:30am start? Looking forward to seeing everyone, and starting to 'detox' from my east coast taste-testing travels! (!)

Stacey said...

Okay Olwyn - you and Cora won. I've registered for the Scotia half 😳. But I can't walk tomorrow morning. I'll do the 12k either later in the day or on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out tomorrow morning. I'll check back later today to see if anyone is walking at 8:00, otherwise I'll join the Scotia half group at 7:30.

Stacey, I have a set of ear plugs you can use when people try to talk you into races. Not that this approach has ever worked for me :-)

Ruth

Unknown said...

I won't be there for the next two Saturdays but will join the gang later in the month. Enjoy your walks!

Olwyn said...

Stacey, welcome to the race! We saw Cora at Firkin last week and we put together a plan to get you to sign up...glad that it worked! (!) Ruth, your ear plugs don't have a chance...! See you tomorrow...

P Dawn said...

The Russians are still misbehaving!!

I will be at Tim's tomorrow morning. Not training for anything......

Jan said...

I will be MIA for this week, back next Saturday. I am going to try to do the 10k by myself tomorrow morning - hope the weather is good.

Eva said...

Enjoy your walk. Welcome back Susan.
I am still in Winnipeg enjoying the 2017 Canada Games. Being a volunteer is giving me a first hand look of these young athletes' commitment and discipline. Ontario is leading the medal standings. Yay... See you soon.

Libby said...

I'll be driving down for 7;30 am tomorrow with Arlene. Arlene will do the 12K. As I did my 26 K yesterday my feet are undecided!

Barbara Brown said...

I will be there for 7:30, attempting to do 12km! I am hoping for a dry morning.

Susan said...

I'll be there for 7:30 am because I desperately need to get some distance in. Having trouble remembering why I signed up for NYC - whose idea was it anyway?

Trish said...

I will be out Saturday for about 6 to 8 k. Doing my 12k on Sunday morning.

Trish said...

I will be there for 8am

Anonymous said...

I will be out Saturday morning at 8 for a short distance walk.

Barb S.

Helen said...

Bob and I will be out at 7:30 for 12.

Lou-Ann said...

I will not be out for the next 2 Saturdays...Stacy, don't cave to those eager beavers! Happy walking my friends...welcome back Olwyn, we need to see pictures of that beautiful grand-daughter of yours!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the company and walks last couple of weeks but off to PEI for a few days so will miss Saturday August 19. Hope to make it out the following week.
Frances

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone! You may not remember me so let's call me a "newbie"....My name is Alexis and I used to walk as fast and long as I could in an attempt to keep up to my "former walking group". I'm going to join you all at 8 am on Sat. at Tim's and attempt to do a couple of slower walks behind you all. Then I look forward to the meet and greet at Tim's afterward.
Alexis