Thursday 3 August 2017

Walks: Sat. Aug. 5 to Wed. Aug. 9

Margy, Rainer and friend Heather rockin' the bling after the St. John's 10-Miler
Although I'm nominally writing the blog this week, it's handy having kind helpers that allow me to virtually cut and paste! Reminder, as if you needed it, that this week it's Saturday at Tim's at 8 am. There's a Sunday option, too – 8:30 am, Queen East Running Room.

Those taking a long weekend might want to do Monday in the morning from Tim's 2. I won't be here, so I'll suggest 9 am, but will let you decide whether or not that works for you. 

Wednesday, in theory, will be 6:30 pm from Occasions. But I know the summertime encourages people to walk in the morning instead.

As always, please check the blog comments to see who will be where, and when. Remember, that means you all need to actually sign in! It helps keep us organized and together.

Training deets from Libby:

Training starts this week for the Scotia Bank Half. Saturday (or Sunday) distance should be 10K. Twice during the week, walks are recommended. 
  • Although the schedule says 10 and 8K, doing 8K both days is sufficient if you add in a tempo walk and hills somewhere! 
  • Tempo walk can be as easy as fast walking between 2-3 lampposts or for a block, rest and then repeat at least 5-8 times. The endurance build up will assist on the long walks to come. 
  • Ruth and Libby will be starting at 6:30 am this Saturday for a long training walk of 26K.  Hands up if you wish to join them!!!
And race report and calls to action from Rainer:

What a great province Newfoundland is, lovely scenery, friendly people and of course a race. The Tely 10 (a 10 miler) race is an annual event that attracts close to 5,000 runners & walkers. Margy had agreed to do this with her friend who started jogging last year as a way to encourage her to stay with it. Her friend ended up beating Margy and I by 7 minutes. This was a fun race for us as we love St. John's.
  • The Owen Sound Bayshore race is August 27 a nice race with a 10km Powerwalk category.
  • Anyone up to do the Cavan Hill race ??? Put it on your calender for Saturday September 23 nice course in the country, great post race food and BUTTERTARTS to die for.
  • The Cleveland Marathon in May 2018 will open registration August 1 and they usually offer great deals for early sign up. There is a 10km and Half walking category. Cleveland is a nice city only about a 5-hour drive with lots to see and do. Would be fun to go as a group of Shore Things.
That's it for this week. Susan resumes her regularly scheduled programming next time. Be well, everyone – especially those who are sidelined! Safe travels (and fun aplenty) to our Nomadic Things.
Perfect walk, perfect weekend

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be in Boston for the long weekend.
Have fun everyone,
Val

Olwyn said...

I'm off to Halifax today for a week; see you next Saturday! Happy walking everyone!

Joan said...

I am off here and there for the next 3 weekends, see you the end of August. Have a great time everyone.

Unknown said...

I plan to be there Saturday at 8:00 and would like to do Tim's 2 Monday morning at 9

Jan said...

I will be out tomorrow morning for 10 - anyone else for 10??

Monday morning at Tim's 2 works for me too at 9 for an 8k.

Lou-ANN said...

I will not be out on Saturday or Monday...happy long weekend everyone!

Deanna said...

I will be out in the morning. Unless it's pouring.

Trish said...

I wil be out tomorrow morning. Should be doing 10k though it may be slow.

Anonymous said...

I will be out tomorrow morning, provided it isn't raining.

Barb S.

Trish said...

I won't be out Monday morning. Did an extra walk today. Hope everyone enjoys their long weekend and that the rain holds off.

Anonymous said...

I will be out this morning for a short distance.

Barb S.

Charlotte said...

I will not be out today because of back issues.

Jan said...

I am coming today

Helen said...

Bob walked this morning, but I'll be walking on Wednesday evening. Anyone else?

Jan said...

Crickets.....

Me!