Thursday 1 September 2016

Walks - Sat. Sept. 3 - Wed. Sept. 7

Enjoying our Pool Party

Join us on Saturday at Tim's (yes, it is Labour Day weekend). Looks like we'll have a bit cooler weather - greatly appreciated by those who have long distance walks scheduled for Saturday. If you are not training, I suggest an 8:00 am start for a distance of your choice.

Those training for Montreal need to complete 20 km - I suggest starting at 6:30 am (option two is a 7:00 am start) so be sure to sign in and state your preferred start time.

Those training for Scotiabank need to complete 14 km - again, sign in with your preferred start time or join the Montreal walkers.

Weekday distance are for Montreal walkers: 10 and 10 km. Scotiabank: 8 and 10 km.

Labour Monday, I suggest meeting at Tim's 2 at 8:30 am for our walk.
Wednesday evening meet at Occasion's at 7:00 pm.

Announcements: from Stacey - she is unable to go to Montreal. Is anyone interested in using her race registration?  Contact Stacey. She also has a reservation at the race hotel for Saturday night - let her know if you'd like the room (otherwise she will cancel it). I think the hotel is fully booked now.

from Rainer: Owen Sound Bayshore race: Sunday morning was mild with temperature of 21C, good race weather and a walker start of 7:30am. A scenic course along the Owen Sound inlet. They had a 10km PowerWalk category unfortunately a small turnout. Margy lost out on 3rd place by 24 seconds ... however she finished in good form and looking good even though we had rainfall during the race and were drenched. 
Post race food was limited to Bananas, Gatorade and Muffins. Definitely a race worth doing but not as good as our favorite the 'Buttertart Race' aka: Cavan Hills on Sept 24 where the food makes the race worth it. Home made Buttertarts, home made baked beans and other treats ... we can hardly wait.

from Susan: Is anyone interested in doing the Terry Fox Run on Ward's Island?- a lovely location for a 10 km walk. Wherever the location, the Terry Fox Run raises money for cancer research - a very worthwhile cause. Here is the Ward's Island information:
Registration: 9:00 am
Official Start: 10:15 am
Open Start: 10:15 am - 2:00 pm
Location: Ward's Island Association Clubhouse (WIA)
Take Toronto Island Ferry to Ward's Island And Terry Fox Champions Will Meet You at the Boat.
Ferries to the Toronto Islands leave from the Ferry docks at Queen's Quay W which is located south of Queen's Quay between Yonge Street and Bay Street.
The Ward's Ferry schedule is as follows: 8:45am ~ 9:45am ~ 10:45am ~ 11:45am ~ 12:45pm - boats leave promptly at scheduled times.






39 comments:

Libby said...

Love the photos!
Arlene and I will attempt to show up at 6:30 am tomorrow - perhaps with headlamps in the dark? for the 20K training walk.
I would be happy to join anyone interested in the Terry Fox walk on the Island. I have supported and walked the the run many times. We have a few in our Shore Things family who have been affected by the disease and the cause is a very worthwile charity.

Barbara Brown said...

Great photos and a lovely event!
I am away this weekend so wish everyone cool walking tomorrow. See you all next week...as we get closer to moving east! Have a good weekend.

Joan said...

I might be tempted to do 8-10k on Saturday at 8. Anyone up for that!! Don't make me go alone.
I thank you for the good wishes for a race last week, i actally was not racing i was looking after my 20 month old granddaughter, that was more like a half marathon. I am however in the Longboat race on the 11 th on the island. S nice, well organized 10 k. Maybe i will see some if you there.

Helen said...

We'll be there at 6:30 for 20K. Bob created an interesting 20K loop through the ravine system that we used last fall. Maybe it would be good to reprise it? Will look at an alternative, just in case.

Terry Fox on the island might be a fun outing, too, and for a good cause.

Anonymous said...

Will be out for 20k at 6.30am....looking forward to it....
Lynne

Susan said...

I'll be there at 6:30 for 20 km - and, to be honest, I'll be glad to have this walk/distance behind me. I'm assuming this is the last time that we need to leave so early.

I'm always interested in the Terry Fox event which I do every year - wherever - but the Island feels like a treat.

Charlotte S said...

I will be out at 8 for 6-8.

Joan said...

Yay!!

Anonymous said...

I also will be out at 8

Anonymous said...

I will be out at 8

Sylvia

Trish said...

I won't be at Tim's tomorrow morning but I will be doing my 20K. See you all at Tim's 2 on Monday.

Anonymous said...

I will be out at 8 for a 6k.

Barb Shand

Sharon KJ said...

I wish I could join everyone... anyone! Miss you all. Enjoy. SKJ

Anonymous said...

I/we will be out at 8.
Margy

Kim said...

I will be out at 6:30 for 20 k.

Unknown said...

Delayed getting back from Quebec...hope to join you Monday morning.
Sheila

Ruth said...

I'll be at Tim 2's tomorrow at 8:30.

Ruth

Unknown said...

Sorry cannot make it after all Monday....enjoy your walk.
Sheila

Susan said...

Most likely at Tim's 2 on Monday at 8:30 am - just a tad iffy, so don't wait for me.

Trish said...

I said I would be out in the morning but that is now dependent on whether or not I wake up in time. Last chance to not set the alarm!!!!!!! If I'm not there don't wait.

Anonymous said...

I'm taking my house guests to the airport for an early flight in the morning and may not make it back in time for the walk. If I'm not there don't wait for me.
Lynne

Kim said...

I will be at Tims 2 at 8:30.

Olwyn said...

I don't think I can make it out this morning; too much to do, Happy Labour Day everyone!

Helen said...

We will be at Tim's 2 for 10K.

Anonymous said...

I will be out at Tims 2 at this morning.

Barb Shand

Kim said...

I am not coming after all. Sorry.

Jan said...

Anybody walking tonight? Leverne and I need to walk (notice the "need" not "want")

Jan said...

Anybody walking tonight? Leverne and I need to walk (notice the "need" not "want")

Jan said...

Anybody walking tonight? Heat is brutal so I'm not looking forward to it. Better do the peanut and the boardwalk- stay close to the water. Unless we do Taylor Creek?? Leverne and I did on Mo day night and it was quite cool.

Helen said...

We have 10K on the schedule, and I'd originally suggested a shorter walk with hills. But hills don't have much appeal to me for tonight, given the heat. Peanut and boardwalk sound better.

Susan said...

I just checked the temperature - feels like 41 degrees - I don't want to walk, to be honest. I may wait for Thursday - supposed to be slightly cooler Thursday evening. I need the distance but the heat is too much for me.

If anyone wants to Thursday, please sign in so I'll know - I could meet you.

This weather gives me a chronic headache, it seems - my whine for the day.

Helen said...

Actually, walking Thursday sounds like an even better idea, Susan, if the temperature is really going to drop.

Jan said...

It's still going to be hot but cooler than today. I'm in for Thursday.

Anonymous said...

I'm fine with Thursday
Leverne

Jan said...

It's still warm out but not as bad as yesterday. Is everyone still in for tonight?

Helen said...

Sure, Jan, count me in. Not sure about Bob yet. Will you plan a 10K route?

Jan said...

If we start from Occasions and go around the outside of the peanut then the Boardwalk to Hammersmith (3 blocks past Lee) then make our way back that would be 10 - that's if we want to stay close to the water??

Helen said...

Sounds like a plan!

Susan said...

Against my better judgement, I'll walk tonight. I like Jan's route - think we need to stay near the water. That said, I did the peanut around 2:30 pm and just about died out there today.