Thursday 26 May 2016

Walks: Sat. May 28 to Wed. June 1

Lots of smiles (and a few gnats) at the 12K turnaround last Saturday
We're drawing to a close for spring race training. Margy (if she hasn't done it already) is scheduled for 12K this Saturday – the rest of us can take it easy. Or see Libby's suggestion below.

I'll wish myself luck, along with my companion in Toronto Women's Half-dom this Sunday. Let's hope for neither too much heat nor too much rain.

Monday (from Loblaws) and Wednesday (from Occasions) at 7 pm will be distances of your choosing. Those who walk in the daytime should contact Dawn for details. And I've heard a rumour that there's a group walking Sunday mornings from the Running Room on Queen East. Please sign in to tell us where you'll be – it really helps to know.

In case you want something to do after our walk, this suggestion comes from Ruth:
The Leslie Street streetcar barns will be part of Doors Open. The tour starts at 10:00 – more or less the time many of us have finished our coffee.

Doors Open Toronto - Leslie Barns
Get a behind the scenes tour of Leslie Barns as it will be open to the community for Doors Open Toronto. Visitors will be able to take a streetcar tour of the grounds and view a display of vintage streetcars.  See here for details.                                      

Saturday,  May 28
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Leslie Barns, 1165 Lakeshore Blvd East
A few race announcements:

From Libby:
Next training distances start up again in late June for the Montreal Half. Until then, let's aim for an 8 or 10K distance this Saturday.

The Shopper's Walk June 11th has a few of us signed up (see last week's blog for details and sign-up link).
Do let me know if you intend to to do this walk AND any other races you are signed up for as well!!
 From Ben Kong about the Ajax 10K on June 18 – remember, he has arranged a walking category:
I plan to meet you all next weekend, Saturday May 28 at the usual meeting spot. I will have entry forms and information on the race, and will accept paper registrations on the spot. Online registration is also available on the link provided on the website:
https://raceroster.com/events/2016/9132/brandon-hill-alumni-5k-10k-run-walk-for-education
From Rainer:
As promised here is the Cleveland Full/Half Marathon early-bird sign up info:

http://www.clevelandmarathon.com/
Special prices till May 31st: 10km for $40, half for $50, full for $65. Good deal for signing up early. Margy and I will do the 10km again.
The Marriott Downtown at Key Center 127 Public Square is a great Hotel for $159 a night (has a pool) and is walking distance to start and finish line. We usually park the car when we get there and have no need for it till we leave. Lots of stuff to do downtown, shopping, restaurants and brew pubs and of course a couple of Starbucks ... sorry no Timmie. [And Helen adds: the Rock and Roll Museum is in Cleveland – we had a great visit with the Shore Things back in 2007.]
We arrived in Cleveland on Friday this year so we could catch the Cleveland Indians game. They had special price tickets for Marathon participants, nice stadium with $4 and $10 beer as well as $1 hot dogs. I think we'll do that again next year (but no hot dog for Margy). Would be fun to have a group of Shore Things.

And here's a bouquet for reading through this long post – a memory of our brief spring.


22 comments:

Lou-Ann said...

I will be out on Saturday...good luck and fun to the Sunday race crew! My apologies Libby for not telling you about my intentions for the WCH race (Shoppers), thanks to whom ever passed the info to Libby.

P Dawn said...

I will be at Tims tomorrow morning, weather permitting...
Interesting idea to check out the new streetcar depot. Thanks Ruth.

Anonymous said...

I too hope to be at Tims tomorrow (weather permitting).

Barb Shand

Ruth said...

I'll be out tomorrow morning - as Dawn and Barb said, "weather permitting". And I plan to go to the Leslie Street Barns at 10 - I hope they are worth all of the disruptions to our walking!

Ruth

Trish said...

I won't be out this Saturday or next and then should be back on track for a bit. Have a wonderful weekend. Good luck to this weekends racers.

Libby said...

I plan to be out tomorrow. Best wishes to the Sunday racers!

Sharon KJ said...

Hope no more, Barb. I will be out tomorrow (I'll pick up Barb along the way) and I want to go check out the "barn" after our walk.


SKJ

Joan said...

Not out Saturday, see you next week.

Helen said...

Not sure about Bob on Monday night, but I think I'll take the evening off. It was only 12K yesterday, but it was a hot 12K. I'll see you on Wednesday -- the first day of June!

Jan said...

I'm thinking of walking if anyone else is.

Anonymous said...

If it's only Jan and me, we could stay local rather than go to Loblaws.

Bob

Anonymous said...

Lynne and Leverne will come out your way

Kim said...

I am sitting here waiting to meet someone for 6 p.m. I will hang in here. See you wednesday.

Jan said...

By that do you mean Earl Haig??

Anonymous said...

Yep

Jan said...

By that do you mean Earl Haig??

Jan said...

Ok

Anonymous said...

If there is enough interest, we could do tonight's walk from the Left Field Brewery on Wagstaff. Please respond to this if interested. I will confirm one way or the other by 6 at the latest.
Bob

Anonymous said...

fine with me
Leverne

Anonymous said...

OK. No strong feelings, so let's leave it at Occasions.

Bob

Jan said...

lost track of time - just realized it's after 6!

I will be out tonight for a walk.

Helen said...

I'll be walking from Occasions. No particular distance.