Thursday 21 April 2016

Walks - Sat. April 23 - Wed. April 27, 2016

Walking the tunnel to the island

Join us Saturday at Tim's - there will be two starting times this week.  Most will likely gather at 8:00 am for a distance of their choice. Those training (a few are starting at 7:30 am so that they will be back for coffee with the gang) are scheduled for the following distances:
Good Life tapers at a mere 12K. 
KW and Toronto Women's Half are 16K 
Niagara Women’s walk 14K.

If you want to join those starting at 7:30, be sure to sign in on the blog so the others will know.

Weekday distances are really your choice but Women’s Half and Niagara ladies should attempt to walk 10 K at least one day - the other day could be 6 or 8 km.

Finally, I think spring has arrived. It is the perfect time to get out and walk.

Announcements / updates: from Rainer & Margy  Greetings from the UK ... we are training ... not walking training but bakery tastings ...Great trip so far .... back May 4 just in time to do the K-W Classic ... Anyone interested in joining them for the K-W Classic?

from Ben: Ben spoke to a number of you last Saturday about a possible walking race.  Ben is in the preliminary stages of speaking with the organizer of the Brandon Hill 10k & 5k Sat June 18, Ajax Waterfront. Details: https://events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=12891
Registration fee is $55 for 10k and $45 for 5k.  If there is enough interest, Ben will work with the organizer to get distinctive race numbers/bibs for walkers, advertise a separate walking race and request volunteers whom Ben will train as marshalls to catch any walkers who run. I think Helen has added a poll to the Shorethings website - please respond to Ben via the poll - as soon as possible.

About the Toronto Women's Half: Anyone else interested in signing up?  Kick off the 2016 race season with the Toronto Women's Half Marathon/5k on Sunday, May 29th.
Now is the perfect time to set your race goals for the next few months. Goal setting is important, as it gives you something to strive for throughout the year.  When setting a goal, you must ensure that it is challenging, yet attainable. The route through Sunnybrook Park is primarily flat, and ideal for reaching your goal! To make the morning even more memorable, you'll be running in a fun and friendly environment with more than 2,000 other women all setting their own pace. 

Best wishes to anyone who is struggling with illness or injury - we look forward to your return.





22 comments:

Trish said...

Hoping to be out for a short walk Saturday morning!

Lou-Ann said...

Trish I will join you for the short walk Saturday...let's think sunshine!

Anonymous said...

I'll be hiking with "Bruce Trail" on Saturday.
Have fun!
Valerie

Libby said...

Arlene, Ruth, Dianne Broad and I will head out from Tim's at 7:30 for our last longish training walk- yeh!!! Hope to catch some of you at coffee. I'll be the one trailing behind as my long legged companions speed on!!!
looking forward to an easier pace once May 1st is over!

Susan said...

I"ll be at Tim's at 8:00 for a distance yet to be determined. Hope to see some of you there.

Enjoy the Bruce Trail, Val - one of my favourite places.

Susan

Sharon KJ said...

Val, I am jealous! Enjoy! I'll be out tomorrow. I'll see you in the morning Barb.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will be out too. Thanks Sharon

Barb Shand

Olwyn said...

I'll be out at 8am for a 12k; tapering for next week's Goodlife Half; thank goodness!

P Dawn said...

I'll be at Tim's in the morning.

Joan said...

Not coming, sigh! Hope to see you next week. Walk well!

Helen said...

Bob and I will try to make the 7:30 group. And, Libby, I can guarantee you won't be the slow one. I've had to miss so many walks, I'll practically be crawling! If our plans change, we'll sign in in the morning.

Helen said...

As I see that Olwyn will be doing her 12K alone, we'll wait for her and start at 8 am after all.

Susan said...

I'll be out this evening - looking for some company - hope to see you there.

Susan

Jan said...

I plan to be out if it's not raining.

Anonymous said...

Don't wait for me tonight, or Lynne.
Leverne

Helen said...

If Jan is walking, we will be walking, too. Looks like the rain might just give us a window.

Jan said...

I won't be out tonight - tax deadline looming and I'm in a bit of a panic! I could use the walk but I am going to meet with a client tonight (hopefully) to get one more off my plate!

Susan said...

Anyone walking Wed. night? I can be at Occasions by 7:00 pm - looks like a nice evening for a walk.

I'll check back until 6:30 pm to see if anyone will be out.

Susan

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Leverne and Lynne are walking, do Helen and bob need a ride?
Leverne

Helen said...

Bob is certainly interested in a walk and would appreciate a ride, thanks, Leverne. Helen is trying to figure out whether it would be better to keep working. TBD.

Susan said...

I'll be there - thanks for the update.