Thursday 28 January 2016

Walks: Sat. Jan. 30 to Wed. Feb. 3

Shore Thing Cheryl at the Robbie Burns 8K, with friends Julie and Anita
doing their first official race. Well done, gals!
Congratulations to our Shore Things finishers at Sunday's Robbie Burns 8K. Rainer's race report:
A perfect day, as it was cold (-6C at the start) but not windy .... the postrace porridge was perfect. We had Rainer, Margy, Sheila and Cheryl finish 5, 20, 34 and 51 overall.
And Libby adds:
Congratulations to all the Robbie Burns racers. It seems the weather cooperated and you were not faced with blistering cold this year! Rainer came in like the wind as third Male walker with a time of 0:58 and Margy wasn't far behind at 1:04. "Olwyn," Cheryl and Elaine all finished with respectable times! Well Done!
Cheryl brought out two first-time racers, friends Julie and Anita. And I quote, "I may have two new converts."  We hope so, Cheryl. As always, we welcome new walkers to the Shore Things.

Walks: 

Please join us on Saturday at Tim's for our last walk of January 2016 and our last weekend before the training schedule for our first race, the GoodLife Half Marathon, begins. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate. Libby suggests aiming for 8-10K on Saturday and 5-6K on weeknights this week. But let's call it do-as-you-please. AnyK is better than NoK, isn't it?

Monday and Wednesday evenings, please sign in to say where you'll be. This Wednesday is a Doc Soup night for many of our regulars – but don't let that stop you from meeting others for a walk.

Race Tidbits from Libby:

We have a nice contingent signed up for both the GoodLife Half in May and the Montreal Rock and Roll in September. Registration for both races increases in price after January 31st so if you want to join the crowd, please register this week. For Montreal, some are taking the train Saturday morning and some are driving down Friday. It will be a fun weekend race away so please consider coming!

Remember to sign up before fees go up and save some $$.


From Helen:

You might be interested in reading this story about our group at Danforth East Online:

Make your New Year's resolution a Shore Thing

The rolling waves on Saturday had many of us stopping to capture them in pictures. Here's one.

Shooting into the sun gave some of these shots a preternatually "dawn of time" feel. Can't you almost
imagine the first prehistoric lungfish starting to haul itself onto dry land here?
Next week, I hand the baton back to our globetrotter, Susan. Looking forward to hearing about NZ!

We send our get-well wishes out to our sidelined Shore Things. Hope you're back with us soon.

P.S. Blogger (possibly along with Google) is still giving us grief – and we're in sad company with many blogs around the world. You'll hear my loud cheer when we're back to normal. Till then, I'll have to email you a separate link to every new blog post via our Google Group. Stay tuned.

15 comments:

Olwyn said...

Congrats to the Robbie Burns'ers! I likely won't be out Saturday morning, as I have another very late night on Friday, so will get my walk in later in the day. I've tried to print the 'race training schedule', but can get 'read only' - Helen or Libby, can you let me know how to get access to it? Thanks!

Helen said...

For anyone wanting to print the race schedule, just open the file in your browser and print it in landscape format. Let me know if you have any trouble doing this.

I plan to be out on Saturday, and if weather permits would like to do 10K. My January kilometerage deficit needs chopping. See you at Tim's.

Susan said...

I'll be out on Saturday and look forward to seeing everyone then. I'm back from vacation, or at least, my body is in Toronto now.

Susan

Deanna said...

I will be at Tim's Saturday.

Sharon KJ said...

I won't be out tomorrow.

SKJ

Anonymous said...

I will be out tomorrow.

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I hope to be out Saturday too.

Barb Shand

Lou-Ann said...

Dawn and I will be out...sorry I didn't see the "comment" space.

Susan said...

Is anyone walking from Loblaws on Monday night? I'll join if others are walking.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Lynne and Leverne will walk tonight from Loblaws
Leverne

Helen said...

Bob and I will be there.

Susan said...

See you there! Thanks for confirming.

Susan

Susan said...

Doc Soup on Wednesday night so I won't be walking (again).

Susan

Kim said...

Is anyone walking from Occasions tonight? I am going to sleep for an hour but will check back at 6:30.

Anonymous said...

I will not be out tonight, too much to get ready for Saturday. Lynne will not be walking either.
Leverne