Wednesday 6 January 2016

Walks 2016: Sat., Jan. 9 to Wed., Jan. 13

Shore Things start 2016 with a win on January 1 at the Hair of the Dog 9K
Congratulations to Rainer (1st place male walker in the 9K) and Deanna (3rd place female walker, 9K) at the Balmy Beach Hair of the Dog on New Year's Day. Way to represent the Shore Things, kids! And a great start to the year for you both.

Weekly Walks:

Greetings from Taichung, Taiwan – you're probably walking on Wednesday evening as I write this.

We're in winter maintenance mode, so come on out and burn off that eggnog and stuffing with a walk or three. Monday 7 pm at Loblaws and Wednesday 7 pm at Occasions, we'll aim for about 6K. Saturday could be 6-8-10K – set your own distance, but the most important thing is just to join us.

Races and Challenges:

Remember to sign up for races while early-bird rates apply. Please also declare your commitment to participate in any of the challenges. Email Libby to add your name to the Interests List under your challenge or race(s). You should have received emails with a link to the record-keeping spreadsheet kindly created by Libby, plus rules and tips for doing the challenges. Let's get those fields filled in.

Info from Bob rain transport to the Montreal Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon on Sept. 25th:

Libby, Helen and Bob have already registered for this race (see the link above). Best deal on VIA Rail to Montreal means leaving early Saturday and returning Sunday afternoon:

• Train 60 from Union leaves at 6:40 am, arrives Montreal at 11:50.
• Train 67 from Montreal leaves at 3:45 pm, arrives in Toronto at 8:34.

We paid $95/pp return with 60+ pricing (and we also got a 10% AutoShare discount). This is the fixed price, with no changes possible. Heading out on Saturday morning also saves us one hotel night.

Bob is researching hotels near the race finish. Check with him for the latest update.

From Helen:

I'm committing to four half marathons this year, which would bring my total up to 40. Except for Montreal, they're all local races. One already has some interest from the group. Would love company:

Goodlife Half, May 1 (Next fee deadline Jan. 31) – there's a walk category
Toronto Women's Half, May 29 (Next fee deadline Jan. 31)
• Montreal Half, Sept. 25
Scotiabank Half, Oct. 16 (Early-bird deadline Jan. 26)

In 2017, for my big 65, I have one more full marathon in me. Would like it to be a special one (not in Toronto). Stay tuned – or send me your ideas. One possibility is the Dublin Marathon in October (has a 7-hour time limit, and walkers welcome). But I'm open to suggestions.

Walking under the twinkle lights on our first group walk of the New Year.

20 comments:

Libby said...

Great photos Helen and congratulations on committing to four Half marathons this year!
Just to let everyone know, there are 10 spots left for Robbie Burns Walk division Sunday January 24th. A few have registered already.
I will not be out this Saturday as I am taking Lee Scott's hill class every so often through the winter.
Those who have not, please let me know if you are doing either of the challenges

Anonymous said...

Thank you to all those who sent condolence cards with lovely thoughts and wishes. It's always nice to know people are thinking of you. Twice in 2 years! My sister and I now have the onerous task of applying for probate, or at least she does. I'm her back up and sounding board!
I hope to be out on Saturday and would like to say I am interested in doing the lesser of the 2 challenges....
Lynne

Olwyn said...

Lovely photos Helen, and congrats on your 4 half marathons in a year! And welcome back Lynne; hope to see you soon. I'm planning on being out Saturday morning for an amusing walk ~ and I think I'll sign up for the Goodlife Half next week.

Trish said...

I am hoping to be our for a walk Saturday morning although the distance will be short and the speed will be slow.

P Dawn said...

I am hoping to be out on Saturday morning at tim's.

I had several positive responses to the Brunch at TKO's suggestion so I am confirming that it is ON! Sunday 7th February,, 1030, $18.00 to be paid to Charlotte as soon as possible. I think she prefers cash as I pay Mary in cash. However, some of you may not be see her before that so I believe she will accept your cheque. I will ask Helen to post this confirmation notice inner next blog.

Helen said...

Unfortunately, I'll be at a Master Gardener conference on Saturday, so will miss the long walk. Hope to be back on track next week, though. Bob will probably represent us at Tim's though. Happy walking!

Anonymous said...

I plan to be out Saturday and am in for the brunch at TKO's, also Doug will be in for the brunch too. I'm already falling behind on my challenge, so need to make up kilometres.
Leverne

Deanna said...

I will be there Saturday at Tims

gingerbread lady said...

Surprise, surprise... I plan on walking on Saturday, much like Trish... probably slow and who know how far... from your friendly "gingerbread lady"!

Anonymous said...

Sharon and I will be out Saturday morning, provided it isn't raining.

Barb Shand

Trish said...

Can't get my little feet wet -planning on staying indoors this morning.

Charlotte S said...

I was planning to be out for a short walk, but now will just come for the coffee and company (and to collect).

Anonymous said...

I will not be walking in the rain (come on snow) this morning.

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Sharon and I may not walk in the rain, but will come for the tea and the company and pay Charlotte.

Barb Shand

Helen said...

By the time Bob gets home, it's too late for us to TTC to Loblaws. So we'll walk from home on Monday. Hope to see you at Occasions on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Anyone walking from Loblaws?
Leverne

Helen said...

I'd like to bundle up and walk from Occasions tonight (Wednesday). 6K would make me happy. I need to get the lead out. Anyone else?

Helen said...

If no one signs in by 6:30, Bob and I will just walk from home.

Anonymous said...

Lynne and I are both under the weather, so won't be out tonight
Leverne

Helen said...

Nobody coming out? Okay, we'll do our 6K from home.