Friday 15 January 2016

Walks: Sat. Jan. 16 to Wed. Jan. 20

Happy Birthday to the Big-0 Birthday Girls last weekend, including Olwyn and Jan
 (who each celebrated the occasion by swapping each other's birthday days).
Okay, we're doing a rain dance for Saturday, so come out and strut your stuff. Still in maintenance mode (though training schedules kick in shortly), so aim for whatever distance makes you happy.

By now, you've received the confirmation of our Shore Things brunch on Feb. 7th at TKO's. Some of us are switching that weekend's walk to Sunday before the brunch – let me know if you want to join us for 6-8K. We start from Helen's & Bob's (address in the brunch confirmation email). Please pay Charlotte if you haven't yet done so.

Libby has uploaded the training distance table for all races that anyone has talked about for 2016 (okay, mostly me – but you, too, soon, I hope) in the right column under 2016 Training Schedule.

More from Libby:

Robbie Burns 8 K is fast approaching on January 25th. Check out who is registered - we do have a few Shore Things carrying the flag for us. There are 8 walking spots remaining so feel free to sign up! (Note from Helen: 8 spots, last time anyone checked, so do.)

https://raceroster.com/events/2016/5332/robbie-burns-8k-road-race

(Comment from Rainer on Robbie Burns: Walking category .... Good event ... nice hot porridge ...)

Check out the race training on the blog for your upcoming schedules for races you have registered for. If there are other races, please do let me know.

Rainer should be doing 20K on Saturday if he is really planning on competing in the Sarnia Hypothermic race… Let us know if yu need company for a long walk Rainer!!


We should have a hotel picked out for the Montreal Rock 'n' Roll Half in September in the next week. You may wish to sign up soon if interested as I know this is a popular race.


Just for interest: January 20 the applications open for the lottery to walk the New York marathon November 6, 2016. Spots are by lottery only… just putting this out there for anyone interested in completing in a marathon. After three tries at the lottery, you automatically are awarded a spot. How interesting to consider??


Thanks, Libby – and see you all soon.

A little Year of the Monkey preview from my trip to Taiwan.
If you look veeeeeeery closely, you can see me.

17 comments:

Trish said...

Once again I have be relegated to the do not walk list. Hope it isn't much longer, pants are getting a bit tight. Hope to be back out in 3 to 4 weeks.

Helen said...

Bob and I will be out on Saturday. Only one other comment? Did no one receive the email?

Anonymous said...

I plan to be out Saturday morning too.

Barb Shand

Anonymous said...

Sharon will not be out this morning.

Barb Shand

Anonymous said...

I will be walking Saturday.

Sylvia

Charlotte S said...

I will be out today, but I did not receive the email. What happened?

Anonymous said...

well I signed up for the Montreal rock and roll and I've even booked my hotel, so Libby please add me to the confirmed race list :-)
Leverne

Anonymous said...

Helen, I also did not receive the email, and I have also signed up for the Montreal half marathon. I will not however be out this evening.

Lynne

Helen said...

I don't think anyone received the email this week, and I have no idea why. I've looked at all the settings on the blog and Google group, and nothing seems to have changed. Mysterious, but hopefully this will not happen again when I post this week.

We find Loblaws a little tricky to get to in time on Monday nights, so Bob and I will walk from home on Monday. Bundle up, and see you on Wednesday at Occasions!

Anonymous said...

I am wimping out of tonight's walk. I did walk today for my daily minimum, so feel justified taking the night off.
Leverne

Kim said...

I'm not walking tonight.

Helen said...

Will anyone be braving the cold at Occasions on Wednesday evening? I'd like to, if there's company.

Anonymous said...

I'm willing to give it a shot, and I can pick you up on the way down too.
Leverne

Helen said...

Great, Leverne, thanks. We'll see you at a few mins. before 7.

Anonymous said...

Is there somewhere to park nearby?

Carol

Anonymous said...

Carol,

Right behind Occasions is the Freshco parking lot which is where I normally park.
I walked home from work yesterday with Barb so am justifying that for putting my feet up and staying in tonight.

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I'm also prepared to walk tonight, as long as it's not toooooo far
Lynne