Thursday 24 December 2015

Walks - Sat. Dec. 26 - Wed. Dec. 30


 
Join us on Saturday at Tim's at 8:00 am (yes, Boxing Day). Trust me, a walk will feel so good. Come and walk off some calories, get some fresh air and enjoy time & coffee with friends.
 
Mid-week walks are Monday (Loblaws) & Wednesday (Occasions) at 7:00 pm usually. This week, some people may want to schedule day time walks, so please check the blog for time, day, and location.
 
Announcements: from Libby - Race reminders! Sign up soon if you want to do the KW Minds in Motion in May - price increases Dec. 31. We have a few committed to Robbie Burns in January. There may be a few walking spaces still open for any others who are interested.
 
Happy trails to those doing the Resolution Run or the Hair of the Dog.
 
Lynne - our thoughts are with you and your family.
 
To those travelling over the holidays, enjoy and keep safe.
 
Challenges:
There area few interested in both challenges this year. Susan has thrown the gauntlet out for an aggressive 2016 in 2016. That translates to committing to walk an average of 168 KM per month/ 42KM week. kudos to those committed to this!
A second challenge of 1550Km in 2016 is also proposed. This translated to an average of just over 129KM /month or 32/week and relates to the training schedule we would use in training for a half marathon over 3 months. If training for an actual half, you will rack up mileage in those three months and require somewhat less in other months. Although is great to keep up the monthly mileage, it is possible to achieve the yearly mileage with degrees of variability based on life’s commitments.
Libby has created two spreadsheets for those interested in tracking your progress - one for the 1550 challenge and one for the 2016 challenge. Ask Libby or Susan for a copy of it (I don't know how to attached it in the blog).
Submit your monthly mileage to myself (Libby) or Susan and we will keep track of progress. If you are required to submit your walking mileage totals, you are more likely to achieve the goal! We are looking for a reward of some sort both at six months and a year! The intent of these challenges is to encourage us to walk more and walk often.
 
Wishing you and yours the very best of the holidays.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



33 comments:

Olwyn said...

A lovely post! I'm going to pick up the gauntlet and commit to the 1550 for 2016! May I have a copy of the spreadsheet, please? And I also wish everyone a lovely Christmas and New Year's ~ good health, much happiness, and many more walks along the roads together!

Joan said...

I have committed to the 2016, looking forward to the challenge. Just put the stuffing in the oven, Christmas is here. Have a great one.

Ruth said...

Do the miles I put on today running around doing last minute shopping count towards the 2016 challenge?

Have a wonderful Christmas Day everyone. I'll be out Saturday morning.

Ruth

Charlotte S said...

Merry Christmas to all. I am not hosting Christmas this year so have a relaxed day planned and then out to dinner. Hope to be out tomorrow morning for possibly the last 2015 walk.

Susan said...

Merry Christmas to all and I hope to see many of you on Sat at Tim's at 8:00 am

Susan

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to all. Sharon and I will be out on Saturday morning.

Barb Shand

Helen said...

Last guest left about 20 minutes ago (it's 1 am), so I'm afraid we won't make it for 8 am at Tim's. Hope you all had a merry Christmas!

Jan said...

Just going to bed now so for sure I won't be out in the morning! Also I have done something to my knee so need to see someone about it soon - may sideline me for a while.

Susan said...

A few of us will walk Monday morning, from Loblaws, at 9:00 am. I'm posting this early with the thought that a few others may join us. Please lets us know if you are planning to come.


Susan

Deanna said...

I will walk from Loblaws Monday morning.

Anonymous said...

Sharon and I will be out Monday morning.

Barb Shand

Libby said...

I plan to walk Monday am

Stacey said...

I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas. We certainly did. I won't be out on Monday as we are visiting Peg's family out of town - Christmas continues! Peg and I are accepting the 2016 in 2016 challenge. Could I please have a copy of the schedule? Thanks and see you soon!

Charlotte S said...

I also plan to be out Monday morning at Loblaw's or is that Tim's at Gerrard and Vic Park?

Anonymous said...

For some unknown reason, we said Loblaws (at Gerrard & Vic Park) across the street from Tim's 2.....likely we said Loblaws because it is the typical Monday walk meeting spot.

See you at 9:00 am there.

Susan

Helen said...

With Jan off on the injured list and Lynne away, it will be hard for Bob and I to make it to Loblaws on Mondays. So we'll walk locally on Mondays, and hope that if you pick a Wednesday morning walk it will be from Occasions, which is an easy walk from home.

Anonymous said...

I will be out on Monday morning at Loblaws.
Leverne

Helen said...

We'll be out Monday morning after all. Thanks, Libby!

Charlotte S said...

Change of plans, I won't be out after all. Feeling really lazy...

Susan said...

Any interest in walking Wednesday morning? from Occasions at 9:00 am? I'd be there if others will join me.

That said, I could also do Wednesday evening - Just asking to see what the interest is....

Susan

Helen said...

As long as the streets are passable, I'd prefer to walk Wednesday morning at 9 am from Occasions. There are a few places nearby where we could stop for coffee – or perhaps even brunch at Occasions itself.

Deanna said...

Sounds like a plan. I will be at Occasions in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I will be at Occasions for 9:00 a.m.

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

OK, the weather site shows a smiling sun for tomorrow morning. I'll (try to) be at Occasions tomorrow morning at 9.

Ruth

Helen said...

I had my days mixed up, and our daughter is leaving Wednesday not Thursday morning. So we will come for a quick walk at 9, but won't be able to stop for coffee after.

Helen said...

Change of plans. I just realized that family sometimes trumps friends or fitness, especially at Christmas. So Bob and I are going to stay home and spend the last few hours this morning with our daughter rather than coming for a walk. I hope you'll understand.

Kim said...

I will be at Occasions at 9. Ruth, I can drive you. Just give me the number on your street. (I was going to suggest changing the location to Loblaws cuz Helen isn't coming, but I think it is too late for that).

Susan said...

Let's try to switch to Loblaw - I'll text Sylvia and Deanna.
Kim - can I text you?
Susan

Deanna said...

Loblaws is good for me.

Anonymous said...

Yes you can text me. I'll check. Can someone get in touch with Ruth? I'll be at Loblaws at 9.

Susan said...

it is ok with Sylvia too

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't make it this morning.
Leverne

Anonymous said...

Kim kindly called me - so I'll be at Loblaws at 9.

Ruth