Thursday 16 April 2015

Walks: April 18 to 22

Hopefully, this week's weather will make the attire seem out of date – but after last week's (and this week's) long walks, the sentiment might still be appropriate. 
I'm writing this in advance, because this week I'm on the road in California. Yes, you may be envious. So if I'm forgetful or get anything wrong, you'll have to fix it in the comments.

Saturday's training distances reflect the approaching ends of schedules and race days for our trainees. For Big Sur, one last 12K before the race – by lucky coincidence, also the distance for the Niagara gals. Goodlife begins taper with 16K, KW gets one long kick at the can with 20K. (Anyone not doing 16K on Saturday might be interested in walking with Helen on Sunday. At least, that's the plan. The red-eye flight might prompt other ideas. TBD.) Weeknight walks require 8-10K.

Here's a link from Bob to a Toronto Star article about the misunderstood sport of race walking that I forgot to post last week. Bob also wonders if we should try for tickets to the walking event at the PanAm Games. Interested? Talk to the man with the plan: Sport of race walking no walk in the Park

At Rosetta McClain a month ago – see how the weather has changed! I hope.

22 comments:

Lou-Ann said...

I will see you at Tim`s Saturday morning.

Trish said...

I won't be out Saturday morning as I am doing the Yonge St 10k plus on Sunday morning with Cheryl, Ralph and Olwyn. Eva and Eileen will be there in spirt.

Anonymous said...

I have another appointment this Saturday morning, so unable to join you.

Have a good walk,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I will not be joining the group tomorrow as I have volunteer training in the morning. Have a good walk.
Lynne

P Dawn said...

Great article, thanks Bob. Looks like they need more people for the PanAm games - especially MEN/

I'll be content to watch it on TV.

See you on Saturday morning, and good luck to the Yonge Street walkers on Sunday.

Bob said...

I hope they actually have the race walk on TV. In any case, tickets are $35 each, $22.50 for seniors.
As far as my walking goes, I won't be out tomorrow (Saturday) to recover from this cold and to walk with Helen on Sunday.

Sharon KJ said...

I be there this morning.

SKJ

Helen said...

If it isn't actually raining and the sky seems to clear, I'd be happy for a walk on Monday. Anyone?

Jan said...

I hope so - depends on traffic - I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting to see how it is around 6:20
Leverne

Helen said...

Radar map suggests we'll be safe for a walk. Hope to be there, if my compadres make it home in time.

Anonymous said...

Lynne and I will give it a shot - 7 at Loblaws
Leverne

Kim said...

Sorry. Got home too late to walk.

Helen said...

If it's raining tonight (Wednesday), I would prefer not to walk – well, to rephrase: I'd prefer to walk, just not in cold rain.

If it's snowing tonight, I might consider going back to California. Alternatively, I could bundle up and walk.

Occasions at 7 pm? Who's going?

Jan said...

I'm in if its not raining or snowing(!) Maybe I'll join you on a trip to California

Jan said...

Forecast looks pretty crummy - maybe if we walk at 1am - it'll be cold but not raining...

Anonymous said...

Won't be out tonight, going out for dinner where I won't get wet or cold.
Lynne

Kim said...

Is anyone walking tonight? Is tomorrow night better?

Helen said...

I can't walk Thursday night, unfortunately. I'm dressed and ready -- Bob just got home. So I'm willing to walk, unless it starts raining (I don't mind snow).

Kim said...

I'm in, then. I will see you at Occasions.

Anonymous said...

Don't wait for me,
Leverne

Jan said...

I'll be ready soon - looks like the rain is going to hold off????