Thursday 9 April 2015

Walks: April 11 to 16, 2015

What a great team we are: Shore Things Walking for Ian and cheering us on at the Harry's Spring "Run"-Off 8K (MIA here are Val and Margy doing the 5K, and Rainer handing out much needed sustenance. AKA: cookies.)
For the Harry's race, special congratulations go to Dawn for placing first in her age category, for the first time everand against runners! Arlene placed third in her own category – and while equally commendable, this is perhaps what we already expect from one of our speediest walkers. And we're not positive, but we think Bob was the first walker to cross the finish line with a chip time of 57:27 (and a pace of 7:11). Considering that hill, and the lousy winter for training, well done, everyone.

After the wonderful Harry’s race (great weather, scenic course, great goodies), we are now into full swing with training for the spring/summer season. It even promises to be relatively warm at last! 

For Saturday distances: Big Sur is 16K before tapering, Goodlifer’s need to walk a whooping 20K, K-W half 18K and Niagara Women’s Half 16K. Check in on the blog to find company for your walk distance. It is so much easier with a little help from friends! Weekday distances should be 6-10K.

But come out, come out on Saturday for whatever distance you choose. Sign in to let us know what you're doing.
The Niagara International Marathon, Half and 10K registration link is on the blog. This fall half marathon on October 25th is the race Helen and Bob plan to do and it looks like fun, with varying distances for all of us. Check it out www.niagarafallsmarathon.com. The race is walker friendly but no separate prizes.

Almost at the top of that hill, with the finish just around the corner.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dawn, Arlene and Bob.

This was my first Harry's and I loved it...great race, very well organized and for a good cause. And yummy post race brunch too!

Saturday a.m. I have an appointment so won't be able to join you.
See you next time,
Sheila

Eileen said...

I'm out of commission for awhile but will see you at Tim's!

Olwyn said...

Congrats to everyone for doing Harry's 8k; it was a lovely day for a most worthy cause! Love the photos, Helen ~ I'll be out Saturday morning; I should be doing 20k, but I have to be at work by early afternoon, so I'll see how far I can go/git, before heading downtown.

Helen said...

I'll wave to you from Los Angeles. Enjoy the walk and (with luck) fine weather!

P Dawn said...

what a great group we are, indeed.

I'll be out on Saturday morning and as the weather looks promising, I might be prepared to do more than 6 k....

Have a great time in California, Helen.

Sharon KJ said...

The photos expresses so much...devotion, camaraderie, friendship, and lots and lots of special love!

I should be out on Saturday, distance to be determined.

SKJ

Sharon KJ said...

The photo expresses or the photos express...Oh well, they are both wonderful photos.

SKJ

Lou-Ann said...

I will see you at Tim's tomorrow morning...now that Dawn's has a gold or atleast a "first" she will for sure be walking the "distance" and not ever be saying "never again"! Congrats to all for a wonderful Harry's race, lots of fun and laughter during and after the race!

Trish said...

Cheryl, Eva and I are currently planning on doing 16k as training for Niagara. Also hoping to convince people to head westward.

Anonymous said...

Hi, So KW Classic is cancelled so we're off the hook
for 18km tomorrow! Phew! Im hoping to b at Tim's for
a much shorter distance
Alexis

Jan said...

Since the forecast for tonight is 70% chance of rain and tomorrow is sunny all day Bob and I thought we would wait and walk tomorrow night instead - anybody else??

Anonymous said...

I'm good with that Jan.
Leverne

Kim said...

I tried to leave a message yesterday, but was unsuccessful. Are you walking tonight? If so, where? I would like to join you if your are.

Anonymous said...

I am still planning on walking tonight (Tuesday) from Earl Haig Avenue at the usual time. Who's in?

Bob

Anonymous said...

I'm in.
Lynne

Jan said...

I'm in - looking forward to getting out.

Kim - we'll be leaving from Earl Haig - you can park in the school parking lot.

I assume we're starting at our usual time?? 7??

Anonymous said...

yup, 7pm.

Bob