Thursday 11 September 2014

Walks - Sat. Sept. 13 - Wed. Sept. 17

The New Albany Walkers
Yes, they made us proud, again. Well done, Ruth, Margie, Arlene, & Rainer!
 
Join in Saturday for the distance of your choice....but some of us have distances to go and people to see....and company is welcome. Join the Corning group who has to do 20 km. or the Scotia group who has to do 16 km. I'll suggest starting at 7:30 but check the blog to make sure. Others may choose to start at 8:00 am and go slightly less. Any distance is good distance.
Weekday distances are 10 & 10 for Corning; 8 & 8 for Scotia....and for the record, that is rain or shine.
 
Announcements:
from Libby:  New Albany Walking Classic was well attended by many walkers and a huge contingent of 10K, including serious competitive race walkers in the 10K. The bad news is both distances started at the same time and it was near impossible to gain any speed if you didn’t start at the front.  It was a guiding nightmare for Ruth with Arlene in tow as the crowd did not seem to understand ‘passing on your left!”.
A big Kudos to Rainer to compete AND finish with a broken arm! Margy served as his constant mentor! Apparently the post race food was fantastic,- including ice cream, pizza and sliders! The course was scenic and not hilly and the drive to New Albany is two hours less than Cleveland so we should consider this for a Shore Things outing next year!
 
from Susan: our social committee (or any of us) might want to check into the play The Mountaintop - coming to Toronto Sept 27-Oct. 19 - great play about Martin Luther King's final night - I recommend it. Obsidian Theatre group - reasonably priced too. Any interest?

 


26 comments:

Lou-Ann said...

Congrats to Albany contingent, and a special birthday wish to Margie and Debbie this weekend!
I will not be out on Saturday.

Helen said...

Well done, New Albany crew! I'd like to say we'll see you on Saturday, but Bob and I have 20K to do and will likely see few of you. All being well, we will be leaving from our house at about 6:45, to join up with the 16K-ers at Tim's at 7:30.

Although I'm tempted by the forecast to say let's do Sunday instead, it might be better to have at least one rainy walk under our belts, just to be prepared. If I recall, last fall's long walk was a wet one, too.

But weigh in if you feel differently.

debbie said...

I'll be out at 8 am for 6-8 km, but only if it's not raining!

Trish said...

I will be part of the Scotiabank team who will be ready and waiting at Tim's for 7:30 to meet up with the Corning crew to keep them company for 16k.
Helen you are absolutely correct - last years 20k was a very wet one.
As for Saturday vs Sunday, I would like to do Saturday and get her done but might be swayed if it is pouring rain. Does that help?

Libby said...

Let us know your route 16 and 20k ers and we may try to meet up somewhere.
I am game to walk in the rain!...maybe not 16 k.

Charlotte S said...

I'm with Debbie on this...

Eileen and Trish said...

Trish and I will be at Tim's for 7:30. Plan to walk if raining unless it's really heavy. Will be here either way :)

Sharon KJ said...

I won't be out tomorrow. I have family coming from Barbados to stay for a few days (a surprise to me, too)! Welcome to the revolving door of Sharon's house!

Congratulations to the New Albaniers and happy birthday to the birthday ladies!

Remember, there is no bad weather just bad clothing. I'm still not convinced.

SKJ

Anonymous said...

Ditto Debbie and Charlotte...may or may not see you at 8:00.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

I plan to be at Tim's for 7:30 but likely not if there is lots of rain.

Susan

Joan said...

I will be at Tim;s for 8am as long as it is not raining, I have not walked in the rain for years and I intend to keep up that record. Had a great time last week at the Island 10k, good time as well as good times. Well done New Albany folks and happy birthday to all who's birthday is this week.
Cheers
Joan

Anonymous said...

Count me in for 8 for a short one,
Val

Helen said...

I have an evening class all this week, so Jan and I walked on Monday morning. Bob down with a cold, so you won't see him tonight, especially not if it's raining.

Jan said...

Given that it's raining and that I walked with Helen this morning I am going to skip tonight.

Anonymous said...

I didn't walk this morning, however given that it's raining I will not be walking this evening.

Lynne

Trish said...

I won't be out Wednesday. Parent BBQ at school!

Anonymous said...

I am on my way out of town on business will not be able to go out tonight (Wednesday). See all Saturday. Frances

Eileen said...

Is anyone planning to walk Wed night from Occasions?

Helen said...

I'm still taking that night course this week, so won't be walking Wednesday evening. See you Saturday. (Bob might be out if he gets home on time.)

Anonymous said...

It looks like no one is coming so I'll walk with Trish and Cheryl on Thurs

Eileen said...

That last post was me!

Anonymous said...

not sure about anyone else, but I can be at Occasions at 7:00 pm. Anyone else?

I'll check back at 6:30.

Susan

codebrewer said...

I'll walk tonight if it doesn't start raining

Jan said...

That was Jan BTW - I was using Ray's tablet. There is no rain in the forecast so I'll come out.

Anonymous said...

perfect - see you then.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Monday night - working late; won't be out. And, also won't be out Wednesday either - theatre night for me.

Enjoy & see you Saturday.

Susan