Thursday 29 May 2014

Walks: Sat. to Wed., May 31 to June 4

Look, it's a Dande-Lou-Ann!
It's like old times! For the next three weeks, I'll be filling in for Susan on the blog -- so if there's anything you need to share, send it to Helen, folks.

Here's this week's distances: No distances at all! Unless you count 5K each on Monday and Wednesday for the New Albany racers in the first week of their schedule. You can manage that. Let's aim for 8-10K on Saturday, as Libby suggests, to stay in shape.

And the reason we have no distance is that this is race weekend for our Niagara crew.

From Libby:

Congratulations to our Niagara Half girls for such commitment to training and races over the last 13 weeks! We wish you well on Sunday and hope you all have a wonderful time, as the weather looks very promising for some spectacular scenery.

(As an aside from Helen: While you're in Niagara Falls, try to go see the corpse flower in bloom at the Niagara Parks Showhouse. It's a very rare experience!)


There is a growing interest in the Midsummer Night's race in August. A mere 15K doesn't warrant a real strong training commitment especially for anyone who has recently done a half. So far Olwyn has signed up with others interested. If you are, too, let Libby or Helen know.

Next weekend is the traditional Alfie Shrubb in Bowmanville with registration through the Running Room. New distances of 5 and 10 K are in addition to the traditional 8K. Walkers are well supported and the RibFest breakfast last year was amazing....just ask Rainer.

That's it for me. If I've forgotten anything, you know where to tell me.

Niagara Falls racers: On your mark, get set, go!

13 comments:

Trish said...

Looks like great weather for walking this weekend. I will be in Niagara with Cheryl, Eva, Eileen and Margy.
Have a great walk.

P Dawn said...

I won't be out tomorrow as I'll be in the country with the black flies!

Good luck to the Niagara group. Nice flat course, and the weather sounds promising.

That Lou-Ann fits in anywhere, doesn't she. Looks like the dandelions were four feet high....

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,
I won't be out tomorrow so sending my best walking wishes to all the Niagara STs...have a great time.

Sheila

Joan said...

Good luck in Niagara, does look perfect weather wise. I will not be out in the morning, extended family visits. Not that the visits are long, just lots of nephews, nieces and the like. Hope to see you all next week.

Lou-Ann said...

Wishing the ladies a good Niagara race and of course Rainer a good time too! I will not be out Saturday as we are having a "Ferris Road Street Sale" from 8:30 - 4:00. Hopefully I will be walking to the bank after with all the big bucks!!

Dawn it was hard to fit between the dandelions!

Went to Olwyn's Church's Art Sale Friday and it was lovely, go if you have a chance...a nice tea (wine) room too! St. Dunstan of Canterbury Church, 56 Lawson Road, Scarborough

Helen said...

Bob and I will be there at eight. See you then.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for the Niagara group, have a great race. See you guys in the morning. Leverne

Helen said...

Bob and I might be too late for the 7 pm from Loblaws on Monday. If it isn't raining, however, we might walk a bit later from home. Let us know if you'd like to join us.

Anonymous said...

I have an 'unhappy' tummy, probably the wrong decision to join some friends for BBQ last night! Cannot risk coming tonight will try for Wednesday.
Frances

Jan said...

Anybody else? or do I wait and go with Helen and Bob?

Jan said...

Leverne and Lynne and Frances are not going and I believe Susan is away, so I think I'll pass on tonight.

Olwyn said...

Great photo of Lou-Ann with the pretty flowers (and thanks for the tip as well!) I won't be out this week; we have visitors and will be out of town on the weekend. Happy walking to all!

Jan said...

I'll be out tonight and I think Helen is coming out - anybody else??