Thursday 9 January 2014

Walks - Sat. Jan. 11th - Wed. Jan. 15th

Yes, ice is beautiful.....some days...especially on someone else's tree
 
Now, I've ordered warm (and dampish) weather for Saturday.  We can all hit the pavement (and I don't mean by slipping on the ice), and walk as many kms as is needed to stretch muscles and get a workout....finally. I feel like I've been held captive in my home and office given our weather. Please join us at Tim's on Saturday, won't you?
 
Mid week walks:
Daytime walkers connect through Dawn and most of you know the routine.
Evening walkers (weather permitting) meet at Loblaws on Monday at 7:00 pm for 6 km. Wednesday, at Occasions, at 7:00pm for 6 km.....or whatever we are able to manage. Sign in on the blog.
 
Is anyone interested in walking 2014 in 2014?  Let me know....I'll join you.
 
Announcements
from Dawn - sign up for our Feb. 2 brunch at TKOs and bring your $18 cash on Saturday. Dawn will add your name to the list and take your money. These brunches hit the spot on a wintery Sunday morning, so please join us.  For the hearty souls, there will be a short stroll from Helen & Bob's prior to the brunch - but more on that closer to the 2nd.
 
From Eileen - tips for walking on ice - we can certainly benefit from a review of this article.
 
From Libbyremember that the discount cut-off for Canada  Running series is Jan 27th. Check it out here:  https://secure.eventsonlone.ca/events/crs_package_east/
 
Libby is also collecting a list of races that any of us is entering or entertaining the thought of doing so. Please let Libby know. Once we have an idea of the races, we will post the training schedules so that you will be trained and ready on race day.  Does it get any better than that?
 
Just to getting you thinking....Some commitment and/or interest has been shown for these races:
KW Classic - May 11  http://www.kwwalkingclassic.com/
Cleveland Rite Aid Half - May 18  http://www.clevelandmarathon.com/We_Run_This_City/
Niagara Women's Half - June 1  http://www.nfwhm.com/
Tofino Edge to Edge Half (or full) - June 8  - new and improved course this year http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=9982
 
Thanks, Dawn, for the ice tree photos. Please send along any announcements or photos.   We aim to please!  This one makes me shiver to look at:
 
 
 
 
 
 


30 comments:

Lou-Ann said...

I will see you tomorrow at Tim's for an 8:00 walk.

Anonymous said...

I will be in St Kitts for the next two weeks...see you on my return!
Frances

P Dawn said...

what beautiful pictures!!!

I wish I could be in St. Kitts too, but instead I'll be at Tims in the morning.

Olwyn said...

Dawn you're hilarious! I plan to be out at Tim's at 8am, weather depending; if it's freezing rain, I won't be out.

Trish said...

I want to walk. I need to walk. Final decision will depend on what I see out of my window at 7am. Don't want to go swimming!

Libby said...

Arlene and I plan?? To be at Tim's tomorrow, probably wearing raincoats. How wonderful for Frances to be in St. kits. I am sure we would all love to join her!
Hope the Disney marathoners have great weather...surely better than here.
See you tomorrow

Anonymous said...

I plan to be there in the morning.

Happy holiday Frances.

All the best to Dianne - first marathon.

Susan

Sharon KJ said...

Well...I'll come out but don't know quite how to dress for the weather. If it is too messy/wet I'll just go grocery shopping instead.

SKJ

Trish said...

Not going to risk it. If anyone goes out be careful where you put your feet, Stay dry!

debbie said...

At 7:10 rain seems sporadic here in the Beaches...so I'm going to join you.
We'll see how it goes; might do a short one.

debbie said...

At 7:10 rain seems sporadic here in the Beaches...so I'm going to join you.
We'll see how it goes; might do a short one.

Jan said...

I'm going to pass this morning.

Helen said...

I'm going to be at a garden event this on Saturday. The rain will have turned the snow to ice, so be careful out there.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,

Just resting my sore and blistered feet after finishing the Disney marathon today--my first! We had the perfect day, with 20 degree weather, no humidity and a slight breeze. Thanks again for training with me and your advice along the way--it came in very handy along the route. Finished in 6:09 and looking forward to seeing you soon for some walks that are shorter than 30 km!

Dianne

Olwyn said...

I won't be out Monday or Wednesday this week, as I'm working; but will be out on Saturday. With hope, the warmer temps will melt the ice; walk with care!

Anonymous said...

What do people think about the sidewalk and ice situation? Not sure I want to chance it. I walked to work this mornig and it's slippery, and in the dark it may be worse.
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I'd love to get out tonight....but only walking on main roads/sidewalks.

anyone going?

Susan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dianne - what an awesome time - you did really well. Take a big bow.

Susan

Helen said...

Jan and I have a photo class on Monday nights till the end of March, unfortunately. If anyone's walking, keep your eye out for Bob who will be joining the group via TTC.

Bob said...

I'm also concerned about the conditions as it supposed to rain now. Has anyone been out to check?

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to head out from home at 6:00 pm and stay on Queen St. for my entire walk. Likely my safest option. So I won't be at Loblaws.
Helen - can you let Bob know? I'm not sure if anyone will be there as no one else has confirmed, as yet.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Susan

I can come out if it isn't pouring.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan:

No problem just read that you aren't going to be at Lowblaws.
Kathleen

Bob said...

I will pass on tonight. I'd be rushed to make it down and still have things to wrap up at work.

Jan said...

Congratulations on your first marathon Dianne - great time! Can't wait to hear about it.

Helen said...

Well done, Dianne. Fantastic time, especially since the weather put a dint in your final training. Wow.

Wondering who's going out on Wednesday evening? I hope to, despite the tip in temps. Going out now for a short jaunt to inspect road conditions.

Anonymous said...

I'm walking home from work, so I'll see how it feels. I'll post again later.
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I'm good for walking tonight -who's joining me?
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I can join you.

Kathleen

Helen said...

Bob's working, but Jan and I will be there. See you at Occasions.