Friday 20 September 2013

Walks - Sat Sept 21 - Wed Sept 25

Early evening sunset walking from Occasions
 
It's a big week(end) for many of our folks.
 
Dawn, Lou Ann and Sheila are taking off for their trek and adventures in Spain. We wish them a wonderful journey and look forward to hearing all about their experiences and seeing their photos. Happy hiking on El Camino.
 
A group is headed to Ottawa for the half marathon on Sunday - make us proud! Good luck to all and if you see Michelle, give her a big hug from me.
 
And, yet another group of us is staying in Toronto and will meet to walk on Saturday for any distance we like. I'm going to suggest 10 km starting at 8:00 am.
 
However, please note: Leslie Street is closed between Lakeshore and Queen St for construction. I think it is still possible to enter the parking lot from Eastern Ave but I haven't been able to check it out. We may need to find an alternate meeting spot during this construction which will likely last at least several weeks/months as they lay street car tracks along Leslie. 
 
My question - what is a good alternative meeting spot?  Do you have a suggestion? Put it in the blog. We have met at Loblaws and/or Tim's 2 (Victoria Park & Gerrard) in the past mainly because parking is plentiful. What's your preference?
 
We need some volunteers to help with the year end party on November 9th. Tasks include set up, clean up or awards committee for example. The social committee will be glad to hear from you if you are able to help - contact Barb B, Lynne, or Leverne.
 
And, lastly, Rainer suggests that we consider:
 
Sat Sept 28 is the beautiful Cavan race. About 10min south of Peterborough, starting from one of the volunteer's farm. Small, friendly country event. Nice 10km through the countryside. Buttertarts to die for ....all monies goes to charity .... Margy and I have done it for the last 5 years .... http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=9361

The other one is October 5 Saturday in Newcastle. The running Maniacs are hosting an event the same day of the Newcastle Fall Fair. Small, friendly event with a separate walker category and separate walker starts. There is a 5km and a 10km walk section.
http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=9428
 
 


31 comments:

P Dawn said...

I will be at Tim's tomorrow for a slow saunter and coffee.

Olwyn said...

I'll be at Tim's tomorrow to join Dawn for a slow saunter and a coffee; but shouldn't you be packing?!? Best of luck to the people heading to Ottawa; have a great race!

Lou-Ann said...

Wishing the Ottawa gang a wonderful weekend together and a a great race, please give my best to Michelle!
I will be joining Dawn for a shortish walk and coffee at Tim's tomorrow morning.

Olwyn said...

I just heard the weather report, and it's supposed to be stormy in the morning. If it's raining cats and dogs, I may not be out. Also, best of luck to the Camino-gals; Lou-Ann, Dawn and Sheila; have fun!

Trish said...

Best wishes to the Camino group. We will be waiting breathlessly for pics and reports. Ottawa weather looking spotty for Sunday. Everyone send out positive vibes for sun. Have a great weekend everyone.

debbie said...

Unless it's raining hard, I'll be at Tim's at 8.

All the best to the Camino gang and to the Ottawa halfers. We'll be thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I will not be able to join the group tomorrow, Saturday. If anyone would like to go out Sunday morning let me know.

Hope the Spain folks have an amazing trip and good luck to our Ottawa competitors.

Frances

Charlotte S said...

Unless it is pouring, I will be at Tim's for a saunter and a coffee. I will bring the T-shirts.

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Charlotte said, and I'll try and remember my cheque too!

Lynne

Jan said...

Forecast for tomorrow morning looks pretty crappy - might come for coffee and skip the walk!!

Helen said...

Bon voyage, señoritas! Have a wonderful, wonderful trip. Our train is just setting off for Ottawa. Enjoy your coffee!

P Dawn said...

it's raining so Lou-Ann and I won't be at Tim's this morning. See everyone in a few weeks.

Hope the weather is good for the Ottawa crew tomorrow. ANd good luck to all.

debbie said...

I'm with you and Lou-Ann, Dawn. No point to a soggy start to your trip!

Have an amazing adventure-I'll call you both and Sheila later today to wish you Bon Voyage!

Stacey said...

I won't be out this morning either. Rain, rain go away...El Camino Trekkers - have a great time! Ottawa racers - You go girls!

Olwyn said...

It's not raining too hard, so I'm heading to Tim's, if I can get in the parking lot! See any other die-hards there!

Jan said...

Count me out this morning

Jan said...

Have a wonderful trip El Caminoers and hope the weather in Ottawa is good for tomorrow for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Plan B:
If anyone is interested, I'm game to meet on Sunday at Tim's 2 at 8:30 am for a crisp 8-10 km.

Please sign in if you are joining me and (I hope)Frances.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Count me in for Sunday, Tim's 2 at 8.30 am.

Frances

Anonymous said...

I'd love to join you tomorrow too at 8:30... Is Tim's 2 at Vic Park and Gerrard?

Dianne

Anonymous said...

Not feeling well this evening, got the "chills" and ache all over, will depend how I feel in the morning. If I am not there by 8.30then leave without me.

Dianne you are correct Tim's 2 is at Vic Park and Gerrard.

Frances

Anonymous said...

two things:
1. I plan to walk Monday night from Tim's 2. Hope some others will be there.

2. I deleted the rain date blog posting - I hope I haven't confused things further by doing so.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I think I'll try to fit in a walk this afternoon and enjoy the sunshine!

Dianne

Helen said...

Monday night from Tim's 2, Susan? Did I miss something -- not Loblaws?

Hoping to be out this Monday evening for a short, recuperative walk. Let us know if the location has changed.

Anonymous said...

SHOULD BE LOBLAWS - my error - sorry.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I plan to be at Occasions Wed. night at 7:00 - anyone else?

Susan

Helen said...

Planning to be at Occasions on Wednesday, but not for a long walk. That half marathon snuck up on me, and I felt it more as the days passed. Hoping to be in shape for Saturday, so don't want to overdo it.

Anonymous said...

I'll be there tonight too, and I'm happy to make it a "not long" walk-
Leverne

Anonymous said...

Such a gorgeous afternoon could not resist going out for walk so will not be coming for group walk tonight.

Frances

Sharon KJ said...

i'll be out this evening.

SKJ

Jan said...

I should be there - at Glencairn station