Thursday 12 September 2013

Walks - Sat. Sept. 14 - Wed. Sept. 18

 
Misty morning walk
 
This week's distances are relatively short since it is taper time for the Ottawa group. Saturday is 12 km so let's start at the respectable hour of 8:00 am (I've had a few requests for a humane start time....).  Monday (Loblaws) and Wednesday (Occasions) distances are 6 and 5 (very manageable).  The day time walkers will organize their own times and routes. Email Dawn or Lou Ann.
 
Some updates:  1st from Libby:
There is a small group doing the PEC  half marathon October 6th. (Prince Edward County). This is a small friendly race with both Half and Marathon distances. Elaine Selke did this last year and Arlene and Marilyn Orr will join her this year. The walking contingent is very small. A group of us did this race a few years ago - a pleasant route in the country.
Lee Scott has reminded us the Robbie Burns Race is capped at 100 walkers and there are many of the WOW group doing the race. www.burlingtonrunners.com
Lee is holding a new class this fall called “Rock the 800’s”. It is repeats of 800 meters around a track. Friday night at Central Tech is the location for anyone keen to improve their race pace. It is said to be a proven training method to improving speed. www.wowpowerwalking.com
 
2nd from Helen:
Rotary Club hosts the Turkey Trot Trail Race, Oct. 20th at Bronte Creek Provincial Park. It’s a flat, groomed trail walk and with a huge community feel. From draw prizes, to a unique medal, it’s going to be amazing.  The website is www.rotaryturkeytrot.ca 
 
 Please let us know if you see any races of interest so that the information can be passed on to others.
 
See you Saturday at 8 for 12 or for whatever suits your fancy.


24 comments:

Lou-Ann said...

I won't be out Saturday; for all those walking at Tim's enjoy your walk and see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I'll be at Tim' tomorrow at 8, maybe somebody is doing less than 12....
Val

Helen said...

Bob and I welcome the chance to start at 8 am. Our distance is TBD. I don't see 12K on Libby's schedule, Susan. Am I missing something, or is this a cunning plan to get us to walk farther? Hmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

The Turkey Trot sounds really interesting, is anyone else thinking about it?

Leverne

Olwyn said...

I'll be out Saturday at 8 for 12k or less; see everyone there.

debbie said...

Val, I'm with you!

I'll be at Tim's at 8 am for 6-8 km.

P Dawn said...

I probably won't be out tomorrow. Taking a rest form walking for a a little while. But, Monday 1.30 from Lou-Ann's and Wednesday 8.30 from Debbie's. Please let us know if you are interested in joining either of those.

Just checked out the turkey trot which I would be interested in doing - and it's only 5k for the marshalled walking category.

Ruth said...

I'll be out on Saturday at 8 for 12K.

Someone seems to have signed me up for Robbie Burns. I'm sure that I would never be so foolish as to sign up for mid-winter race, so it must have been a gremlin.

Sharon KJ said...

See you tomorrow morning. I like the sound of "8".

Sharon

Trish said...

I plan to be out tomorrow at 8 for 8-10 as spirit moves.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I'll be there tomorrow but will do my best. Dianne

Anonymous said...

I will be out Saturday...see you at 8.00 am.
Frances

Sharon KJ said...

I will not be out on Mondays until after December 2.

Sharon

Jan said...

I plan on coming out tonight.

Thought we might want to avoid walking into the sun for too much so could either go south towards the lake or east towards Rosetta (turnaround Lakeside Ave & Viewbank).

Remember your lights.

Helen said...

Sounds good to me, Jan.

Anonymous said...

I plan on coming out tonight - either route is good for me.

Lynne

Anonymous said...

I plan coming out tonight.

Frances

Anonymous said...

just to say....I'll be away Wednesday so won't be walking mid week.
Susan

Helen said...

Looks like a nice night for a short walk. Looking forward to it. See you at Occasions.

Question: do we want to make this our permanent Wednesday location? If so, we/I should change the website.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out tonight, can't think of a good enough excuse not to.
Leverne

Olwyn said...

I'll be joining the group walking from Occassions tonight, for a snappy 5k. Helen, it might be a good idea to change this to our regular Wed night local; we can always alternate at the Woodbine/O'Connor Shopppers when we like.

Anonymous said...

I will be out tonight.

Frances

Sharon KJ said...

i'll be there this evening.

SKJ

Jan said...

I'll be out -thinking of a walk down to the Boardwalk, across to Kew Beach Park then turn around and come home - just 5k