Thursday 25 April 2013

Walks: Sat-Wed, April 27-May 1

Olwyn takes on Yonge Street
Sunday was a great day for 10K, and Olwyn was smiling just as happily at the end of the race (although the picture is fuzzy), with a 1:24 finish. Well done, Olwyn! You also might be interested in seeing this YouTube video of Lee Scott coming in to a first-place finish – great form in action. And she makes it look so easy, damn her.

This Saturday, it's the June racers who have the long distance of 16K. Trish has put in a request for the Rosedale route, so please look at this route map. FYI, there's a rumour of a 7:30 am start; TBC in the comments.

Note your turnaround if you're doing less (May races have 8K on the old schedule*, 12K on the Wow version). As always, you might prefer a different route or a different distance. Sign in and let everyone know.

Monday and Wednesday, May racers have 6K and 5K; June has 8K both days.

*To explain "old schedule/Wow schedule", Libby has volunteered to create the race schedules this year, and will be moving us to Wow training (rather than the Marathon Dynamics version we've been using). The key differences are that Wow tends to have shorter, more intensive evening walks plus a few longer walks on Saturdays to build endurance. We'll groan a little at first, but in the long run (or walk) it will be better.

This just in from Libby – please put June 15 on your calendar:
We are planning a "location" walk on June 15th to start at either Sunnybrook Park or my house (more details to follow) - and everyone will be invited to my back deck (or house if it rains) for coffee and sustenance afterward. The coffee gathering will serve as a time to introduce the new roles for the Shore Things upon Helen's "retirement". 
And Lynne is this week's birthday girl. Hope it's smashing, my dear!

A reminder that this is the Hot Docs festival, so some of our weeknight schedules might be screwy. All the more reason to sign in, folks.

21 comments:

Trish said...

I will be joining the 16k group for a 7:30 departure.
As mentioned in the blog, I would really like to do the northbound route. Check it out in the links. The eastbound route towards Rosetta is also a possibility, so please sign in and state your preference.

P Dawn said...

the rumour is correct. The 16kerrs are starting at 7.30 from tim's on Saturday. the two options are the one Trish suggested, or the other one is to go East towards Rosetta McLean, but not that far. I think that turn around is at Brette's house.

If you are in the 730 16k group, please state your preference for the route so that we don't have to discuss it when we (I) are not fully awake ot TIms.

Well done, Olwyn. And happy birthday. Lynne.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'll be there for the 16k and prefer the eastern route, but will defer to those going north if that's the consensus. It's going to be a great day for a walk either way.

See you Saturday at 7:30.
Sheila

Libby said...

Arlene and I plan to taper (Yea!) to 12k from Tim's at 8. Although happy to go with the group route choice, the east route is preferred.
Wondeful race Olywn! . and Happy birthday to Lynne!

Anonymous said...

I am in for 16K @ 7:30. and wouldn't mind going north for a change of scenery.

Cheryl (yes it's really me!)

Anonymous said...

I'm up for the northern route, but only to the lookout and back as I'm not in training yet and an 8am start too.
Leverne

Ruth said...

I'll be sleeping in on Saturday!!!!! I'll plan to walk lots of hills in San Francisco as my training.

Congratulations, Olwyn (but how come you never look tired, whether it's after a Dragon Boat race or a walking race?) Happy birthday, Lynn and thank you for bringing such nice weather.

Ruth

Ruth said...

I'll be sleeping in on Saturday!!!!! I'll plan to walk lots of hills in San Francisco as my training.

Congratulations, Olwyn (but how come you never look tired, whether it's after a Dragon Boat race or a walking race?) Happy birthday, Lynn and thank you for bringing such nice weather.

Ruth

Lou-Ann said...

I will be walking at 7:30 and like the east route.
Congrats Olwyn!!!!
Birthday wishes to Lynne.

Olwyn said...

Thanks Everyone! I walk because of all of you! Happy Birthday Lynne ~hope it's a good one.
I may or may not be out Saturday morning at 8; I'm working until 11pm, so may sleep in and get in a walk later in the day....or on Sunday. Happy Saturday to all!

Anonymous said...

I will be out for the 12 km at 8 am.
-Happy belated birthday to Bob
-Happy B'day to Lynne
-Great race time, Olwyn!

Sharon

Helen said...

I'll be out for 12K at 8. I'm easy about the route. (The northbound route is the one that goes through Cabbagetown into Rosedale, for those who haven't actually looked at the link... just saying.)

Eva said...

Congratulations Olwyn... Great time !!!
Happy Birthday Lynne.

I prefer the east route... straightforward and familiar

Eva --- it's really me :-)

Jan said...

I'll do 12 too I guess......

Eva said...

btw, i will join the 7:30am start...

Helen said...

Bob's coming down with a cold, and Jan's in tax land, so I'll either walk locally or (especially if the rain comes) give it a pass on Monday and try for tomorrow morning. Have a good walk!

Anonymous said...

Don't think I am up for a wet walk this evening, I'll wait for the sunny weather on Wednesday.
Lynne

Anonymous said...

There is no guarantee that it will be a sunny weekend in Cincinnati and we really should train for all weather conditions but I decided that I'll just take a rain cover with me for the race and will pass on the walk this evening.

Hopefully, Wednesday will be more pleasant.

Sharon

Helen said...

We'll be out tonight for a brisk 5K-ish. Might even break out the shorts!

Anonymous said...

Won't be out tonight both Leverne and I have docs.
See you on Saturday.
Lynne

Anonymous said...

I'll be out tonight and I DO have my shorts on!

Sharon