Thursday 3 January 2013

Walks: Sat-Wed, Jan. 5-9

How's that for a snow castle?
Saturday, Jan. 5th we're going to mix it up with a once-a-month new departure point (remember, we talked about that?). Trish has created an 8K route, starting from Tim's at Eglinton Ave. E. and Brentcliffe Road. Here's a link to directions. We start at 8 am, and Trish will have printed route maps.

Note that this is an optional alternative for those interested. Naturally, some will prefer to meet at our usual time and place. Please sign in to let us know where you'll be.

Mondays and Wednesdays return to regular programming, for maintenance walks between 6-8K.

Bob has created a concurrent training schedule, which I'll upload soon, for some of 2013's upcoming races: May (Cincinnati, Toronto and Mississauga Halfs), June Niagara Falls Women's Half, August Dublin Half and September Canadian Army Half. If you're doing different races, let us know.

By now, you've had time to think about Wow's Challenge for 2013. The 20+13 Challenge is quite do-able (walking 33 minutes a day), but most of the veterans are balking at 2013 minutes a month. But don't let that stop you. Jan has created tracking Excel files for all three versions (Ks, 33 mins a day, or 2013 mins a month), so let me know if you'd like one.

Susan desperately seeks company to do either a yearly 2013K or 2013 monthly minutes – speak up if you'd like to join her. You'd qualify for Wow's finisher medal if you choose minutes, and if you choose Ks, the Shore Things figure out a way to reward you.

In fact, I'm putting out a call to have 2013 be our Year of Personal Bests. Set yourself any personal challenge. For me, it's going to be to do my best half marathon time. Yours might be to do a longer race for the first time, or simply to walk more often. Doesn't matter what you pick, have a goal in mind, and we'll celebrate our accomplishments in November.

Our flurry of January babies begins this week with Alisa and Olwyn – have fun-filled birthdays, gals!

22 comments:

Trish said...

Happy New Year to all!! The route for Saturday goes through North and South Leaside in a large circle. I will have turn arounds for 5 and 6k in case some would like to do a shorter walk. The original route was to go partly through the valley but I think we will save that for the spring. Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday.

Eileen said...

I'll be doing Trish's route in Leaside on Saturday. Planning to do 6k.

Lou-Ann said...

Will see you on Saturday at Trish's Tim's in Leaside, looking forward to the new route!! Thanks Trish for organizing this route.

debbie said...

I'm in for this new route. Thanks, Trish, for suggesting it!

Debbie

debbie said...

I'm in for this new route. Thanks, Trish, for suggesting it!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I am interested in staying at our usual location for Saturday's walk. Is anyone else planning to stay put? I'll come if I know someone else will be there.
I hope the rest of you enjoy your new route and new location.
Susan

Libby said...

I'll be at the Brentcliff location. The route is flat but if the weather allows we could add in a hill in the park (optional)
Happy birthday to the Alisa and Olwyn

Anonymous said...

Plan to be at the usual place at 8a.m
Rainer may or may not join me..
Margy

Jan said...

I'll try the new route - I enjoy learning new parts of the city.

Olwyn said...

Thanks for organizing the new route, Trish; I'll be there on Saturday morning. Happy New Year to all!

Olwyn said...

Happy Birthday to Alisa, and to Jan, our other January b'day baby!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Everyone!
I'll be out for 8am tomorrow....at whichever location (route) my good friend (and driver) Leverne chooses to take me :) Also...Susan..I am interested in taking on one of the 2013 challenges for sure. alexis

Trish said...

I have created an out and back for 8k with turn arounds for 6k and 7k. Tried for less travelled roads. Just for LIbby I have added a hill!!!!! See you all in the morning.

Stacey said...

Happy new year to everyone and happy birthday to Alisa and Olwyn! I'll be there in the morning to try out the new route - thanks Trish! Oh - and thanks a lot for the addition of the hill as well...

Anonymous said...

I'll be out to give the new route a go. How is the parking situation in that area?

Happy birthday to Alisa, Olwyn and Jan!

SKJ

Helen said...

I'll be at the Brentcliffe Tim's for a change of pace. See you there.

Eileen said...

As much as I'd love to join the gang tomorrow, I'm still dealing with the flu. Have fun everyone and enjoy the new route.

Trish said...

Lots of parking. If Tim's plaza is crowded there is a big lot across the street by Marshalls and Staples.

Anonymous said...

Is anyone walking tonight (Monday)? I can be there and would love some company.
Susan

Helen said...

Susan and friends, Last time Jan and I discussed it, we were planning to be out on Monday evening.

Anonymous said...

great....see you then. Thanks for replying, Helen

Helen said...

Quite a few of the Wednesday night regulars will be at Doc Soup tonight, which I forgot all about when I wrote the post. Sorry for the late notice!