Thursday 27 December 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, Dec. 29 to Jan. 2

'Twas a snow-free Resolution 5K back in 2011
Winter finally arrived, and it looks like it might stick around for the weekend. Do you know where your Yaktrax are? Whether or not you are doing the Resolution 5K, please let us know whether you'll be walking on Saturday8K sounds like a nice round number. But feel free to go shorter or longer.

Resolution folks, race kit pick-up starts on Friday. Charlotte has volunteered to pick up kits, and Bob and I will also be going. Please email your race confirmation to one of us is you'd like us to get your kits. A million thanks to Debbie for organizing the car pool, which leaves from our house at 8:30 am on Sunday. You can park in the school lot across from our house. And a million and a half more thanks to Debbie for organizing the post-race brunch. A few of the 21 attendees are for brunch only – if you'd like to be added, please contact Debbie asap. Don't know how? Contact me, and I'll forward.

Monday and Wednesday, those still on holiday might prefer to walk in the mornings. I raise my hand here. Suggestions for alternative departure points? Evening walkers on those days, let yourselves be known. Everyone, please do sign in on the blog, so your possible arrival (or not) won't be a mystery.

Congratulations to Arlene Mawson for winning the Wow 2012 Challenge draw. And well done Shore Things – we were 12 of the 20 finishers! News on Wow's Challenge for 2013 – it's an either/or: EITHER walk 2013 minutes each month in 2013 OR walk 20+13 minutes daily. Minutes can be banked in the month (from long walks, for example), but I'm unsure if we're out of the challenge if we miss our total for a month. Will write to Lee for clarification. Strange. Even those who said "never again" found ourselves trying to calculate if we could "do it again."

Brette, have a happy birthday! And Happy New Year to all of us wonderful Shore Things!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be out on Saturday for a brisk walk... hope someone else is there to walk with me.
Leverne

Olwyn said...

I won't be out Saturday morning, but I'm looking forward to seeing our big group on Sunday at the Res Run! Happy New Year to everyone; and here's to another great year of walking together! And thanks to Helen, for all you do!

Jan said...

I'll be out tomorrow morning - usual time? 8?

Anonymous said...

I'll be out at 8 am for a brisk walk and some calorie burning.

Susan

Lou-Ann said...

Leverne you are not alone, there will be a few of us walking Saturday. I know I need to calorie burn but not sure if I am up to it Susan! If I don't see all the Shore Things, have a Happy New Year's Eve and a healthy 2013!

Helen said...

Bob & I will be out Saturday (and Sunday, plus brunch). Burning calories on one day, piling them back on on the other!

Happy New Year, everyone. We have an idea for a Shore Things Challenge to share with you soon.

Helen said...

Anyone feel like a 9 am walk on Monday (New Year's Eve)? We could start from Tim's 2 or, if there are no takers, the gang on our street will head out from here.

Helen said...

That's 9 am Monday morning, just to make it clear.

Anonymous said...

I get to use the car! I'll be out tomorrow. Just let me know where.

Thanks,
SKJ

Anonymous said...

I'm good for 9 at Tims2
Leverne

Helen said...

Okay, 9 am at Tims2 it is. 6-8K.

Helen said...

Happy New Year, everyone!

Helen said...

Bob & I will be walking Wednesday evening with Olwyn. Sorry to miss the morning get together!

Anonymous said...

what time & from where on Wednesday evening? I'm back to work and may be home on time to join you. If you don't hear from me, you'll know I didn't get back in time to join you.
And, Happy New Year to all.
Susan

Helen said...

Susan, regular time and place: 7 pm from Shoppers

Jan said...

I'll be out tonight - weighed myself to get the New Year started off......

Olwyn said...

See Helen, Bob and possibly Susan for an amusing 6k from Shoppers on Wed night, Jan 2nd. See you then!

Olwyn said...

...and also Jan, and any other New Year Walkers!

Anonymous said...

See the walkers this evening at Shopper's.

A happy, blessed, and prosperous New Year to all! Happy birthday to all the folk you will be celebrating this month.

SKJ

Anonymous said...

Hi Shore Things

hope to be back out with you soon!
it's been a long while...
I have signed up for Toronto Life 10k and Niagara Falls Women's 1/2....
Hoping to have my health on track for successful races this spring!

Cheers
Kathleen