Thursday 10 January 2013

Walks: Sat-Wed, Jan. 12 to 16

Great turnout for our first alternative walk location
Hope you didn't put away your shorts. The weatherman predicts 11˚C on Saturday. I'm unsure how I feel about that and hope it isn't a bellwether for a hot summer. Come on out, anyway, for the distance you please. If you want company for more than 8K-ish, put out feelers in the comments.

Monday and Wednesday nights, it's business as usual, for maintenance walks of about 6K.

Unless you're doing the Hypothermic Half in February or the Chilly Half in March (and I know you keen machines often train by your own schedules), real training doesn't kick in for a few weeks. Bob has created a spreadsheet of coordinated race schedules for the four half marathons I mentioned in the last post, and it's now linked on the blog beside the interests list. (Click the + magnifying glass in the toolbar on the schedule page to increase the tiny type size.)

If you need a schedule for a different long race, you'll find our Generic Half Marathon schedule under the Racing Links tab at the top of our blog. Let me know if you need help tailoring it to your event.

Speaking of races, congratulations to Rainer (2nd walker overall) and Norma (4th walker, 3rd female) for their showings at the 9K Hair of the Dog 2013 in what I understand were icy conditions. There was also a mix-up between the 3K and 9K women's powerwalking race results, meaning that the wrong people received the awards for the 9K. We'll award you in our hearts, girl!

Now, as you can see by the turnout, our first-Saturday alternative route idea for January was a success (thank you, Trish!), and we already have volunteers for two more months. Details later. This will never replace Tim's 1 as our spiritual home, but offers those who seek variety, well, variety.

Very sunny birthday wishes to Jan – have a wonderful day!

17 comments:

P Dawn said...

I am hoping to be at Tim's on Saturday for some distance TBD. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Happy Birthday, Jan.

Ruth said...

I'll be out on Saturday. Happy 29th birthday to Olwyn and Jan.

Olwyn said...

Thanks Ruth! I'll be at Tim's on Saturday for an 8k; hope the weather holds ~

Lou-Ann said...

See the "walkers" on Sataurday and then to enjoy a coffee together!

Helen said...

Such springy weather, and Bob & I will have to miss it. I'll be at a garden event all day, and Bob has to handle our broken water heater. Guess who'll have the most fun... besides y'all.

Anonymous said...

Rainer will be at Tim's on Saturday.. I may hobble a few feet but will definitely be there for coffee( broke a toe by stubbing it on a 5lb weight at home... serves me right for going"shoeless"!)
Margy

Trish said...

I won't be out this morning. I have to head up Yonge St today so will get my distance in from home.

Helen said...

Depending on when the hot-water heater guys show up, it might be either one or none of Bob & I for Monday's walk. Will check in later to confirm or deny.

Anonymous said...

I won't be out Monday night.
Susan

Helen said...

I think we'll both be staying put tonight. I can't abandon Bob to deal with the water heater thing solo, again. So hope to see you on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Anyone walking this evening?

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Leverne & I will not be out this evening. Should be out on Wed.
Lynne

Jan said...

I think I'm going to be a wimp too and uae everyone else as an excuse. Unless you're determined Sharon???

Anonymous said...

Nay, I pass, too. So much for determination,eh!

SKJ

Olwyn said...

I'm planning on coming out Wed night from Shoppers; see you there!

Jan said...

Glad to hear Olwyn is planning on coming out - I need to walk! I am really feeling the difference, not doing the challenge (and eating all of the Christmas cookies candies etc....)

I'll be out tonight

Helen said...

I want desperately to walk on Wednesday, as I'm going a little stir crazy, but am still waiting for the hot water guy, who's running late. It's 5 pm now -- will check in closer to the event. (Bob has a meeting and won't be out.)