Thursday 25 October 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, Oct. 27 to 31

The Shore Things motored in Motor City!
What an event. Ruth took third place overall amongst the Detroit full marathon walkers, with a blistering 5:31 chip finish. Most of us would have been thrilled to even have had her clock time of 6:01. In the half, our leader was Bob; 9th overall and on the leaderboard as 5th male with a chip finish of 2:31. We all placed in the first 50% of participants. Special thank-yous for the support of our cheering section, particularly Alexis and Barbara, who restocked the thirsting with water (we were told bottles weren't allowed to cross the border). Well done, Shore Things.

See you Saturday to talk it over on a companionable 8-10K, or the distance of your choice, at 8 am from Tim's. Newbies welcome! Monday evening from Loblaws (and a possible uptown location), for 6-8K, depending on how we feel. Wednesday evening is Hallowe'en – sign in if you'd prefer to walk on Thursday, Nov. 1 instead, from Shoppers.

There are daytime walks on weekdays for those available. Just sign in and show up for our regular locations. Or contact me for the other locations, and I'll hook you up with the organizers.

A few things upcoming:

For anyone considering the Dublin Half, rates go up by four euros after October 31st.

Please start looking for next year's races, to post your interest at our party on November 10th. Our Year-End Party is both a celebration of things past, and a kick-off for the year to come.

For example, I just stumbled on the Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon on June 2, 2013. There's a bottle of VQA wine in every swag bag. Now it's not a cheap race, but earlybird rates are cheaper, and they jump after October 31, 2012. (Men can participate, but there are no prizes for males.)

Also, Bob and I are fulfilling a long-held wish to do the Cincinatti Flying Pig Half on May 5th, 2013. And I just noticed that they have a 3-Way set of combo races, like the Disney or Bermuda Triangle in January. I believe that Rainer and Margy are already signed up for the latter, as well as for the Chilly Half, and rates for that one go up October 30th.

So look around, see what you like and invite the Shore Things to join you in the races you want to do. I've updated all the updatable race links on the blog, but feel free to introduce us to new races.

Still taking orders for calendars: approx. $19.99 plus HST. However, if I hear from nobody else by end of day Saturday (emails only, please – it's the only way I can accurately keep track), I'll submit our order and with luck will have calendars ready for our party.

Now that we've completed our last big race, the yearbook is also almost finished – but send me your great photos by this weekend. FYI, Sharon got a preview Tuesday evening and immediately placed an order. Cost will be approx. $80 plus HST.

Happy birthday to Stacey! Wishing you nothing but loveliness for your day and your year. And also to Jeanny – we missed you in Detroit. Hope you're okay.

24 comments:

Olwyn said...

Congrats to the Detroit racers; well done everyone! And Happy Birthday to Stacey; have a good one. I'll be out Saturday morning at Tims' for an 8~10k; see you then.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out on Saturday, and Helen if I haven't already ordered, I'll take a yearbook and a calendar please and thanks.
Leverne

P Dawn said...

I'm not our on Saturday morning, but Monday at 1.30 from my house and Wednesday at 9.00 from either Dawn's or Lou-Ann's place.

Happy Birthday, Stacey.

Helen said...

I'd like to be out on Saturday, rain or shine, because I need to pile on the mileage. See you, suitably muffled, at 8 am -- unless the rain is really pelting down. A little drizzle won't stop me.

Ruth said...

I'll be there on Saturday, whether for a swim or a walk (depending on the weather).

Ruth

Lou-Ann said...

Happy Birthday Stacey, hope you are well and not working toooooooo hard! I will not be out on Saturday and my baking starts the following Saturday so it will be a bit before I am back on the Saturday schedule. I will keep checking the blog though! If you need gingerbread don't forget me!

Trish said...

I won't be out Saturday. A little family time. Guess it is time to go buy some real rain gear.
Stacey - hope you get time to enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

On Sat if it's pelting down I won't be out, but if it's drizzle I should be there.
Leverne

Libby said...

Congrats to all the Detroit racers. Sorry I missed the event. Happy birthday stacey. Given weather prediction of 15 to 20 cm rain , I plan to walk from up here on Sunday. Hope to see the usual Monday group at Bayview and Eglinton.

Anonymous said...

I thought that I would give myself the luxury of sleeping in on Saturday. If the weather holds up on Sunday, I may talk a stroll from Tim's 2.

Stacey, happy birthday!

SKJ

Helen said...

Unless a miracle intervenes, it will be too windy for a safe walk on Monday evening. This is to officially unofficially call it off, due to the approach of Sandy.

Hope that you've stocked up on non-perishables, *just in case* -- and please don't stand under any falling limbs. Hope to see you, safe and sound, later this week.

Jan said...

I kinda figured it would be crazy to plan to go out tonight although it isn't too bad yet.

Helen said...

Rain, rain, rain! I was going to ask if anyone wanted to walk tonight (Tuesday), but it still looks wet and blowy -- Wednesday, too. However, I would like to walk on Thursday evening. Any takers?

After coming within 4.5K of catching up for the year to-date, this week has set me back again. Drat. And Nuckle-down November begins with a business trip. Double drat. I'll be looking for company to pile on the mileage when I get back from Taiwan.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that in the same month that I did a marathon and some long distance training walks, I'm still 10k short on my schedule.
Anyone walking tonight?
Leverne

Trish said...

I am staying in tonight. Like to say I was avoiding the trick or treaters, but in fact am completing progress reports and sundry other paperwork.

Helen said...

I'll be staying in tonight -- or maybe going out for a short walk after the trick-or-treaters.

Still looking for company on Thursday evening, though. If I hear from no one, will just head out from home.

Anonymous said...

I'll do Thursday Helen, when and where?
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I'll do Thursday Helen, as long as the weather isn't like it has been for the past five days and as long as I get home in time to make it to the rendezvous. I just got in.

Where and when?

SKJ

Helen said...

Thursday evening walkers, how about 7 pm from Shoppers -- providing the weather cooperates. I don't mind a little rain, just not a deluge.

Alternatively, for a change of route we could walk from my place. Parking across the street. Which would you prefer?

I'll re-post tomorrow on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Either location is all right by me, weather permitting.

SKJ

Jan said...

either location works for me. I may have to keep the walk short though - my "pinned" ankle is giving me some grief today - don't know why.

Anonymous said...

I am ok with either location...I'll wait 'til my driver decides....

Lynne

Anonymous said...

so we'll meet at Helen's at 7pm
Lev

Anonymous said...

so we'll meet at helen's at 7pm
Lev