Thursday 6 September 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, Sept. 8 to 12

When not acing races, they're training for El Camino
Okay, Detroit Marathoners, this Saturday is when the shoe leather (or synthetic version thereof) really hits the pavement: 27K. The marathon trainees I've spoken to think a 6:30 am start will be quite early enough, thank you. Rain is predicted, but I see only a 40% chance of isolated showers totalling < 1 mm. That might actually help rather than hinder the long slog. Dress for a little rain. However, if the forecast changes and Sunday seems better, sign in to say whether you want to switch.

That's the marathoners out of the way. For the other trainees, Saturday brings: KW 18K; Detroit Half 16K; Toad 13K. Motivated by some grumbling from the masses, let's move this start time to 7:30 am. Please sign in and come out if you're doing a shorter distance. There will likely be company for you.

Monday, 7 pm: Detroit Full 11K; KW and Toad 10K; Detroit Half 8K.

Wednesday, 7 pm: Let's meet outside Occasions on Eastwood Rd. for hill training and a walk (or, a walk and hill training; or, heck, just a walk if you don't have a race in your near future). It's 9 hills this week. Detroit Full 8K; everyone else 10K. Afterwards, beer optional.

This week, we send a very special birthday-cum-get-well wish to Alexis, the first of our many September birthday gals. Let's hope the year ahead brings healing, health and happiness. Happy birthday to you, too, Julaine, wherever you may be.

Dawn also forwards this heads-up about some community engagement sessions on planning for the future of Toronto's natural trails. If you're interested in attending and providing input, bring your two cents to these meetings:

As part of our ongoing community engagement strategy we want to hear from you! We will be hosting the following information and planning sessions:
Don and Highland Creek Watersheds Tuesday-  September 18th at 6:30pm at the Papermill Theatre and Gallery at Todmorden Mills, 67 Pottery Rd (http://www.toronto.ca/culture/museums/todmorden.htm)
Etobicoke and Mimico Creeks and the Humber River Watersheds Wednesday-  September 19th at 6:30pm at the Swansea Town Hall, 95 Lavinia Ave (http://www.swanseatownhall.ca/).
Please contact us to register for either or both of these events.
For more information on the City of Toronto's Natural Environment Trail Strategy please visit our website atwww.toronto.ca/nets or email trails@toronto.ca.
Natural Environment Trails Program
www.toronto.ca/trails 

29 comments:

debbie said...

I'm back from my week in Victoria --lovely weather & spectacular flowers - and will be at Tim's Saturday at 7:30 am for a modest 8 to 10 km.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

P Dawn said...

I am hoping to be at Tim's for 16k on Saturday - Lou-Ann, please take note of the earlier start time............

Monday the slow, short walkers will be starting from my house at 1.00 (with Charlie) and later on those of us who are supposed to be 'training' will start also from my house at 5.15 pm for 8k.

Wednesday those of us 'training illl be doing a morning walk either from Lou-Ann'es or Dawn's place - time not yet determined, but it will be in the morning, probably about 9.00. And we'll have to look for a hill!

Anonymous said...

okay...6:30 am for me, I guess. See a few of you there....including you, Ruth, and I'll pick you up.

Susan

Trish said...

I am looking for some company on Sunday morning as I am out of town all day Saturday. Monday I will be joining the Bayview gang and probably the Occasions gang on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

If it is teeming with rain, as predicted, I would be willing to do the walk on Sunday. Heavy rain is predicted for late tonight and Saturday morning, 20-40 mm (just listened to the weather on 680 AM).

I'll keep checking in but I would otherwise be there for 6:30.

Sharon

Ruth said...

Oops, my last comment seems to have disappeared into cyberspace.

Thank you in advance, Susan, for the ride. I'll be out at 6:30 Saturday, ready for a walk to Oshawa (or perhaps we don't have to go 'quite' to Oshawa).

Ruth

Anonymous said...

Leverne and I are also interested in walking on Sunday rather than Saturday given the weather forecast. Shall we meet same time (on Sun) same place?

Lynne

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for all the good wishes! They were very effective:) I got terrific news at the fracture clinic today! The radiologist "cannot see fractures on the xrays" is what the Intern told me. So the Doc and Technician at TEGH cannot read Xrays :) Instead I have a bad sprain in both and I have permission to toss the walking accessories...instead only needing something to support the ankles. This is such good news to me ,....now I can walk unsupported all the time (not just when people aren't looking...which is what I was doing) since 3 days after the accident. I don't think my ankles are strong enough to pick up where I left off but definately strong enough to pick up!!:) see you all soon...alexis

Helen said...

Bob & I plan to do the 27K. I'd prefer to walk on Saturday, if possible (i.e. if it isn't pouring and windy), but will wait to see what the weather brings.

If raining Saturday, we'll see the marathon trainees on Sunday at 6:30 at Tim's. And if it's raining again on Sunday, well I guess I'll have to walk in the rain.

Great news from Alexis! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

If it is raining heavily on Saturday, like torrential, then Sunday will be my day of choice. Even if it rains on Sunday, it isn't supposed to be as bad as Saturday. Only time will tell. But you know, it could rain on the day of the race. Disregard the last comment.

Alexis, you have the fastest healing "broken ankles" ever! Way to go!

Hopefully, I'll see the 27 km walkers tomorrow morning.

Sharon

Helen said...

It's 5:30 am on Saturday. The rain out there isn't torrential, however the radar maps say it's going to be pretty consistent all morning. Given the sun symbol over Sunday morning's forecast, I think I'd rather go with Door #2 and walk tomorrow. Will check back after after a bowl of cereal.

Jan said...

Just looked at the forecast - rain steady until 2pm this afternoon. I could wait until tomorrow....

Anonymous said...

I am set to go but was deterred when I heard that there is a chance of thunderstorms. It's not the thunder that bothers me but the lightning. Tomorrow is doable. Will check back in 15.

SKJ

Helen said...

Looks like we're developing a quorum for a Sunday walk instead of today.

Anonymous said...

okay....Sunday works for me....rain or no rain.

Susan

Helen said...

Okay -- see the 27K walkers on Sunday morning, Tim's 6:30.

Anonymous said...

And now the rain is beating against the windows. Going back to bed. See you tomorrow.

SKJ

P Dawn said...

Trish and I are planning to do 13k tomorrow (Sunday) morning at 9.00 from my place if anyone else is interested in joining us.

Libby said...

Arlene, Ellen and I plan to walk from Tim's tomorrow at 7:30. We started out today but had coffee at Starbucks instead. There really is such a thing as bad weather when you aren't training for a race! perhaps we will see the 27k'ers for coffee?

Ruth said...

It was a good morning to sleep in!! I'll see the long-walkers at 6:30 Sunday morning, and hopefully we'll see the 7:30 realistic-walkers at Tim's afterwards.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

I plan to walk Monday night & hope that some others will be at Loblaws....for me, that is traffic permitting.

Susan

Helen said...

I feel pretty recovered from our 29.3K on Sunday, and am ready for the next batch (8-11K) on Monday eve. Hope to see you at Loblaws. As I think Jan has other plans, if I don't hear from Bob in time, I'll be walking from home.

Olwyn said...

I'll be walking from home tonight, (Monday) but hope to join the gang on Wed night at Occassions; see you then!

Anonymous said...

I'm heading to Loblaws and hope that someone else will be there.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I plan to do some hills on Wednesday with whomever....assuming I get past the regular traffic, TIFF traffic, and Madonna concert traffic tonight.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I am planning to walk tonight. See you at Occasions.

Denise

Anonymous said...

Don't feel like doing 9 hills...and Emily is making my dinner so I will not be out tonight.
Lynne

Helen said...

From Trish -- our plan for Wednesday:

Hello,
I have a route for Wed night. Hills! Hills! Hills!
It sounds complicated but when you see the map it is pretty much up and down.
9.3 or 9.9 k depending how far up the hill you want to go on the return trip.
If you go to gmap.pedometer and start at Coxwell and Gerrard you will get a better idea
of what I am talking about.

So... Starting at Occasions.

Cross Eastwood and go south on Gainsbourough, looping back up on Highcroft.
Cross over Eastwood and follow Gainsborough around on to Wrenson.
Go past school yard to Bowmore Rd.
North (left) on Bowmore up to Gerrard.
Right on Gerrard to Bellhaven.
Down and up Bellhaven.
Right on Gerrard to Normandy.
Down and up Normandy.
Right on Gerrard to Kingsmount Park Rd.
Down and up Kingsmount.
Right on Gerrard to Glenmore.
Down and up Glenmore. (the longest and steepest)
Right on Gerrard past Woodbine and Devon to Golfview.
Turn right and go down Golfview to Corley.
Turn right on Corley.
Go west back past Woodbine and Glenmore. (We are only doing this hill once)
For the next 3 up/downs people might only want to go as far up as Fairmount- just short of Gerrard)
working west go up and down Kingsmount, Normandy and Bellhaven.
At bottom of Bellhaven, follow Eastwood west back to Occasions (a short steep hill).

Have a beer and relax!
Trish

Anonymous said...

I'm leaving in 10 minutes. I hope we still meet at Shopper's.

Sharon