Thursday 13 September 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, Sep 15 to 19

The cultural component of last Saturday's epic 29.3K
This is an especially long post, so please scan the headers, especially the one about requests:

First, the week's distances:

Here, the September half marathoners and full marathon trainees part company for a while – unless you're Ruth, who's doing all three! For the Detroit Full, the schedule says 29K. As that's what we ended up doing last week, I'll leave the distance and start time to you to decide.

Other scheduled distances for Saturday: Toad, 18K; Detroit Half, 16K; KW, 8K. As Bob and I are doing them all, with two races on the next two weekends, we've decided to compromise with 10K. The long distance walkers might want to start at 7:30; with those going less starting at 8 am. Sign in to state your preference.

Monday: Detroit Full, 13K; Toad, 10K; Detroit Half, 8K; KW, 6K.

Wednesday: Toad, 10K; Detroit Full and Detroit Half, 8K; KW, 5K. We're back to Occasions for hills: Detroit Full, 12 hills. The rest of us, fit in as many hills you can.

Next, some requests:

Photographs! If you have any shots of this year's events, please send them along in the highest possible resolution (aka, largest size). I'm doing the book and calendar now. One special request is for an un-blurry photo of our huge Resolution 5K team, if you have one.

Party & volunteers! Lou-Ann has reserved the room at her church for our party on November 10. We'll need one more volunteer to join Jan and Bob on our Awards Committee. We'll need set-up people and (hopefully not the same) clean-up people for the night. And, also, start dusting off your pot luck recipes. Please email me a) if you're attending, and with how many, and b) if you can help.

Orders! Let me know if you want a calendar this year (approx. $20), and especially if you'd like a yearbook. Knowing who wants a book (usually just a few) helps me organize the pictures.

Finally, good wishes:

We're in the thick of the September birthday season now, so very happy birthdays to Margy, Denise, Debbie and Fiona. We hope it brings each of you exactly what you want.

And hearty congratulations to Olwyn, whose all-women-of-a-certain-age Flaming Dragons took silver in last Saturday's dragon boat regatta, in the teeming rain, against some very tough (younger, mixed gender) competition. Great going, gals!


26 comments:

Olwyn said...

Thanks Helen! In no particular order; I'll be out Saturday morning at 8am for 8k. I would love 2 calendars. I will be at the year-end party solo (Steve is working) and I'd like to volunteer for the clean-up committee. Will forward photos to you over the next couple of days. And Happy Birthday to the September birthday girls! See everyone soon!

debbie said...

Congrats, Olwyn, you can show off your biceps on Saturday!

I'll be at Tim's at 8 am for 8 km.

Helen, I'm happy to help with the setup for our annual potluck.

And I would like a Shore Things calendar as well as a yearbook.

See you all Saturday!

P Dawn said...

Congratulations, and Happy birthday to the birthday women.

On Saturday I won't be at Tim's but, due to time constraints, will be doing 1the required 6k from my house, starting at 7.30. Lou-Lou=Ann and ? Cheryl will be joingg me. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

Monday 1.15 pm start and Wednesday 9.00 am start, both from my house - if change of plans, will let the daytime walking group know.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm saying this but....for the full marathoners, I suggest a 6:30 am start and a 31/32 km route....a slight variation of what we did Sunday would be great with me. That route was a lovely change. Lee Scott always recommends 3 training walks of over 30 kms each when training for a full. Any takers?

Susan

Ruth said...

OK, Susan. I'll do a long walk.

Ruth

P.S. What does Lee Scott know??

P.P.S. Congratulations, Olwyn and crew. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Fellow Detroit Marathoners,
I too would prefer to meet early, not too sure about the extra distance though....

See you at 6.30,

Lynne

Libby said...

Arlene and i will start at 7:30 at Tim's for 16-18k
Congrats Olywn and best wishes for to the birthday girls

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm in for the 6:30 start and I'll walk whatever everyone else does. I'm happy to be on the cleanup crew for the yearend party.
Leverne

Lou-Ann said...

Alright Olwyn!!! As Dawn states I will be walking with her and whom ever will be at Dawn's place Saturday morning at 7:30. Belated birthday wishes to all!

Anonymous said...

I won't be out tomorrow to walk as there were complications with my eye surgery. I can do either set up or clean up for the pot luck. I would like a calendar. Happy birthday to the birthday group. Olwyn, congratulations on the silver win.

I think that I have covered everything.

Happy trails, everyone.

SKJ

Barbara said...

I plan to out for 10k at 8:00 am. Birthday wishes to all!

I will help with clean-up. I would also love a calendar and book. See you tomorrow.

Lou-Ann said...

A couple of things I missed in my previous response:
1. Helen I would like (1) calendar
2. FYI East Lynn Park (Woodbine & Danforth Ave) has an arts festival/show tomorrow - Saturday and Sunday.

Sharon I hope you are ok, if there is anything I can help you with make sure you contact me, please!

Helen said...

Bob and I will be out on Saturday at 8 for 10. See you then. Have a great walk, marathoners. We'll (sort of) miss you.

Sharon, I hope the glitch was minor, and we'll be seeing you, seeing us, soon! Take care.

Anonymous said...

Us full marathoners will start on Monday at 6pm as we have to do 13km. We would be happy to have others join us.
Leverne

Trish said...

I will be joining the Bayview Bunch on Monday night and the Occasions group for hills on Wed.

Helen - I would like a calendar please.

I will help with set up/clean up as needed.

Helen said...

If no one else signs in to say they'll be walking from Loblaws at 7 on Monday, the three neighbours over here might just stay put and walk from our street.

I'll check back closer to departure time.

Olwyn said...

I won't be out tonight (Monday - working) but plan to be out Wed night for....gasp....hills! See you then!

Anonymous said...

I will be walking on Monday at 7pm now as Lynne and Susan are not walking, is anyone else walking 13km? If no one else is walking that distance, I'll walk with whoever is walking tonight.
Leverne

Helen said...

As there's one of you and three of us, Leverne, do you think we can convince you to come out our way? No one else has signed in yet for Monday...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that I didn't check in before I took off for Loblaws. I walked all by my lonesome but that was okay. I won't be out on Saturday. I am off to Ottawa for Maureen's son's wedding.

Good luck and good weather to all those participating in a race this weekend.

SKJ

Helen said...

Aw, Sharon, that's a shame. Yes, that's the reason to sign in or check in, blogwise.

See you Wednesday at Occasions for more hills.

Anonymous said...

As I missed my 13k yesterday I suppose I have to do the hills on Wed...yikes!
I would like a calendar, please, and am willing to do set up or clean up as required for the party.

Lynne

Trish said...

I will be out tonight with Cheryl in tow!

Trish said...

I will be out tonight with Cheryl in tow!

Helen said...

I'll be coming out on Wednesday for as many hills as I can fit into a 5-6K walk. See you at Occasions at 7.

Anonymous said...

Hills are my friend, so I'll be there.
Susan