Wednesday 29 August 2012

Walks: Labour Day Weekend & Wed. Sep. 5

Where some of us met the sunrise on Saturday
While we were all off walking in interesting places (the Island, the Brickworks, Owen Sound), Alexis was busily breaking bones in both ankles. Now that truly deserves a special prize. Get well, Alexis!!

This weekend, being the unofficial end of summer, we have lots of choices, so listen up:

Saturday 7 am at Tim's: KW and Detroit Full, 16K; Toad, 11K; Detroit Half, 10K.

Sunday 7:30 am at the Brickworks: Distances as above, if you're not walking Saturday. Weekend parking fee is higher than weekday, so bring $9; carpooling advised. Cheryl notes the antique market is Sundays, if you need added inducement.

Monday morning – I'm going suggest 8 am, but speak up if you prefer later/earlier – Tim's 2 (Gerrard & Victoria Park). Detroit Full, 13K; KW, 10K; Toad, 8K; Detroit Half, 6K.

Monday evening 7 pm from Loblaws, should anyone prefer to meet at our standard time.

Wednesday evening, 7 pm from Shoppers OR place TBD: Our evening walks have resumed, although I believe there will also be an afternoon option when Dawn returns. Whatever we do, it will include six (6) hills. KW and Toad, 10K; Detroit Half, 8K; Detroit Full (you slackers!), 6K. We can't be too hard on them, as they're gearing up for 27K next week.

Rainer reminds us that the Cavan Hills 10K (AKA "The Butter Tart Race" in Shore Things circles) is coming up at the end of September. Here's the link if you want to give it a go. Early bird rates end on Aug. 31.

And an extra Get Well message to Alexis, because two broken ankles deserves twice the good wishes!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone! Yup it's true! I'm officially on
the injured list! Sounds worse than it is ...
two broken ankles but i'm already quite impressed
with the progress! Sad about detroit and not seeing
all of you for awhile.... but optimistic about
my recovery:) So "walk on friends"......and i hope to be
lacing up the runners well before the snow flies!:)
Alexis

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your news Alexis. How did it happen? Healing wishes from Newfoundland. Dawn, Charlotte, & Susan

Ruth said...

Best wishes, Alexis, for both your ankles. We're going to miss you.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

All I can say is when Alexis tells you how it happened, my name should not be mentioned. I won't be out on Saturday or Monday morning as I'll be at a cottage for the last weekend before school. Everyone should enjoy their long weekend, it promises to be sunny and hot.
Leverne

Olwyn said...

So Leverne, are you telling us that you had something to do with Alexis' ankles?! Alexis; at any rate, may you have a speedy recovery! I won't be out this weekend,I'll be in Stratford seeing some Shakespeare. Wishing everyone a wonderful final fling of summer!

Libby said...

Ditto on the get well for Alexis!
Arlene, Ellen, Greg!!! and I plan to walk Saturday at 7am- I do hope this is the end of 7am start! Distance TBD but somewhere between 11 and 16.

Trish said...

I will be at Brickworks on Sunday morning with Cheryl. The route is 11k, and at Tim's 2 on Monday morning.
Alexis - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ruth said...

I'll be out on Saturday at 7, and at Tims 2 Monday morning.

Have a great weekend, everyone, whatever you're doing.

Ruth

Helen said...

We'll be out on Saturday at 7 for 16K, and Monday morning at 8 for a distance TBD. Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Lou-Ann said...

Oh my goodness Alexis, so sorry to hear of your injury...wishing you the speediest recovery though! I will not be out on Saturday or Monday but will walk in the afternoon on Wednesday as I work in the morning. I'm sure a notice will be going out later this weekend from one of the hikers! Welcome back hikers, look forward to seeing you and hearing about your travels.

Anonymous said...

Alexis, what can I say that hasn't already been said. I am truly sorry that you are out of commission with not one, but two broken ankles! I wish a speedy recovery for you.

I will be out tomorrow but the distance will be decided in the morning. I will also be out Monday morning.

SKJ

Trish said...

I won't be out Monday after all. Hannah and I are celebrating last day of summer by going to brunch. We will walk to the restaurant - it is 11k.
Have a great walk!

Anonymous said...

I'll be out on Monday morning (most likely, possibly, maybe) and need to do 13 km. Tims 2

I'm hoping to hear how Alexis broke both ankles and since Leverne is out of town for the weekend, I just might get the "truer" version. Meanwhile, I wish Alexis a speedy recovery - I can't begin to imagine how you manage with both ankles broken...

Susan

Anonymous said...

We will be out Monday morning at Tim's two with our Camino backpacks on..
Alexis.. best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Margy and Rainer

Jan said...

Who is going out tonight?? I plan on going - just want to know if I'm doing hills alone!