Thursday 2 August 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, Aug. 4 to 8

Bucolic scenery in Taylor Creek park – as we make for the shade
Oh, dear. Is it really 19K for the Detroit marathoners on Saturday? It's going to be a killer, hot and humid, so how about the long-walkers start at 6 am? Certainly, no later than 6:30. Sound in.

KWs, you have 10K; Toads have 11K – and my permission to start at 7 am, or the time of your choosing.

Monday is a holiday. The schedules call for 6K (KW), 8K (Toad) and 10K (Detroit Full). Let's meet at Tims 2, Gerrard at Victoria Park, at 8 am. (If no full marathoners are actually present, we might choose to split the difference with an 8K walk.) Anyone preferring to walk in the evening, ask for company in the comments.

Wednesday, the morning group starts at 8 am from Lou-Ann's. Distances are 8K (KW) and 6K (Toad and Detroit). Afternoon or evening walkers, please give your details in the comments.

Saturday at around noon, the Olympic race walkers start their 20K race. With some of us having just done 1K less that morning, it will be humbling to compare our times. The following Saturday is the 50K race walking event. Follow up on those results if you really want your mind blown.

A message about upcoming races from Rainer:
Hello fellow walkers
It has always been difficult to find races that recognize walkers or have separate walker categories  .... well here we have a couple of races that are upcoming in Sept / Oct that Margy and I have done that are a lot of fun and that Support Walkers,
Separate Walking Start, Separate Walker Awards.... 
Saturday Sept 29 Cavan 10km - nice small country race just south of Peterborough, in the country, very pretty route, with FANTASTIC
home made butter tarts & Home made baked beans and other goodies afterwards .... worth it for the buttertarts alone ....
http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/8245/Brochure2012.pdf 
Saturday Oct 6 - 7th Annual Fall Festival Run/Walk - 5km & 10km race - in Newcastle 5min east of Bowmanville - nice friendly event same day as the the Newcastle fall Festival - no finishers medals but Finisher Gloves .... they look great http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=7903
Here we have a couple of small race organizers who have agreed to support walkers. Lets have a good turnout for walkers. Both events are fun as well as supporting a worthwhile cause. Spread the Word....
Rainer
Rainer has also written good things about two other walker-friendly races to keep our eyes on for next year, both in Whitby: the Whitby Waterfront Summer 5K race and the Durham 1/4 Marathon 5K and 10K walking categories. If you prefer shorter races, these might be for you.

We have two special birthday girls for this period, Sharon and Norma. Hope you both enjoy wonderful days with lots of good stuff in them.

21 comments:

Helen said...

And, in the inevitable "I hit publish too soon" category: A wonderful wedding celebration on Friday evening to Erin, beautiful daughter of Cheryl and Ralph.

P Dawn said...

I am away this weekend, so won't be joining you on Saturday or Monday, but will be at Lou-Ann's at 8.00 am on Wednesday.

Have a great long weekend, everyone. I'll have to try to record the Olympic walkers on Saturday.

Good luck to the Manore family with they wedding celebrations tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! I will be out for the very long one on SAturday. I'll drag myself out for 6 a.m if that's the concensus but I can be convinced to start at 6:30 also! Hopefully I'll have company :)
alexis

Anonymous said...

Oh....and I'll also be at Tim's 2 on Monday morning for the 10km.....hopefully we can sleep in that day and start at 7am? alexis

Ruth said...

One thing for sure - the mother of the bride will be beautiful Friday night.

I'll be out for 19K on Saturday too and will watch the blog for the time - I share Alexis's opinion about 6 a.m. (but I also really hate this hot weather).

Ruth

Ruth said...

One thing for sure - the mother of the bride will be beautiful Friday night.

I'll be out for 19K on Saturday too and will watch the blog for the time - I share Alexis's opinion about 6 a.m. (but I also really hate this hot weather).

Ruth

Helen said...

As much as I hate dragging myself out of bed for a 6 am start, the humidex for Saturday could be as high as 40. As I hate the heat, I'd be willing to brave 6 am.

We'll stick to the boardwalk, for the breeze and shade. We could also avoid that long, hot stretch along Lakeshore by starting and finishing in the lower parking lot at Ashbridge's Bay... then driving back to Tim's for refreshments afterwards. Thoughts?

Olwyn said...

I plan to be at Tim's 2 on Monday morning - not sure about Saturday morning at 7am, so if I'm not there please don't wait for me. A happy long weekend to everyone!

Anonymous said...

I'll be there for 6:00 pm because I hate the heat.

I'll come at the usual time, Ruth.
Susan

Libby said...

Arlene and I will come out for 7 am if anyone else chooses to join us. Best wishes to the Manore family and Happy birthday Sharon and Norma.

Ruth said...

OK, 6:00 Saturday morning it is. I'll be the one still wearing my pajamas :-)

Anonymous said...

First and foremost, congratulations to the Manore family on this joyous occasion. I pray the weather co-operates in all ways. Happy early birthday, Norma!

Now, I will be at Tim's for 6 on Saturday, Tim's 2 Monday morning and Lou-Ann's Wednesday morning.

Sharon

Jan said...

I can't believe I'm saying this but see you at 6...

Anonymous said...

Just had a look at the blog befire getting some shut eye
And now im not sure if we're doing tim's start or helen's
Idea (ashbridges bay) so im gonna go with tim's and hope
You are there. Alexis

Helen said...

Alexis and everyone, As no one took me up on the Ashbridges suggestion, let's meet at Tim's as usual. See you soon.

Helen said...

Monday morning walkers, the time will be 8 am from Tim's 2. See you at 8 for 8.

Anonymous said...

Any slowish walkers game to walk with one of the walking wounded at 8am for 6k?

Charlotte

Anonymous said...

I'll be there at 8-4-8, see you tomorrow,
Sheila

Trish said...

I will be there with Cheryl and Arlene. I believe Ruth and Ellen are meeting us too.

Jan said...

See everyone tomorrow morning at 8

Helen said...

Bob & I will be walking Wednesday morning.