Thursday 9 February 2012

Sat. to Wed., Feb. 10 to 15

As Lee Scott says, this is our gym
Don't put away those woollies yet. Looks like winter will be making a reappearance toward the end of the week. We can decide Saturday's route later, depending on wind and road conditions, but let's aim for a 10K distance, with 8K on each of Monday and Wednesday. Your distance may be longer or shorter; as always, it's up to you and your body.

Arlene has organized a 4-week training session with Lee Scott of Wow Powerwalking. I'd really like to encourage newer walkers to give it a try, if you haven't done so already. Lee is a great trainer, and we always benefit from her whip cracking. The details are: four Wednesday nights at 6:30 pm (Mar. 28, Apr. 4, 11, 18) at a cost of $80 per person. That cost/pp may go down if we add a few more people. Two potential locations are being discussed (the Runner's Shop at Avenue Rd/Bloor OR Bayview/Eglinton), but I believe there's a slight preference for the former. Contact Arlene directly or myself if you want to join.

Congratulations to Margy and Rainer in the Sarnia Hypothermic Half. Margy led the field for a first-place finish and a personal best for the half, with her "favourite husband" right on her heels. Clock time: 2:50:22. Rainer suggests that it was spurred by the lack of porta-potties on the route. Whatever the inspiration, great results, you two.

A reminder that the earlybird rates for the 10th Anniversary Alfie Shrubb 8K end next week. It's a nice little event, and has always been very supportive of walkers. The weekend before is the Whitby Half Marathon. Rainer has been speaking to the organizers, and perhaps can arrange a group rate if we have enough participants. Let's discuss on Saturday.

Finally, April 1st is our own 10K race. I'd still like to hear "I'm in" from more of you so that we have strong participation from the group. Remember, it's more than a race; it's our big spring event.

Happy birthday to two more of our February gals Lou-Ann and Valentine baby, Dawn. We wish you sunshine and roses!




20 comments:

Helen said...

Any Doc Soupers interested in walking on Thursday night? I need the kilometerage.

Olwyn said...

Kilometerage?!
I'm in for the Shore Things 10k on April 1, so sign me up! Still opera-ting, so won't be out for a while yet.... Happy Birthday to Lou-Ann and Dawn!

Olwyn said...

BTW, GORGEOUS photo, Helen!!

Helen said...

On second thought, I seem to have come down with a headache and the shivers. Best stick to bed tonight.

debbie said...

Lovely dreamy photo, Helen!

Hope you feel better quickly.

It turns out I will be out of town April 1, so I will miss the Shore Things 10 km race - wah! Simply cannot change the dates of the trip I am taking.

I'll also be away the next two Saturdays in Florida, my brother has invited me down to his timeshare for a week.

I'll miss you all. But I'll be walking every day in Orlando --in between lying on a lounge chair in the sun and sipping pina coladas!

(Yes, I'm a meanie.)

See you all soon!

P Dawn said...

I hope to be at TIm's tomorrow morning, but the weather sounds like it will be pretty bad - very cold and slippery. So I may end up sitting in Tim's for the morning.

Wonderful picture, Helen. Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm in for the Shore Things on April Fools Day. I should be there on Saturday morning too.
Leverne

Maureen said...

Hello from the South. Happy birthday Lou-Ann and Dawn.

Managing to get my walking in down here. I have mapped out an 8K route, so either do it all or partial. May start water fit class Mon., Wed. and Fri.

No Tim's down here so miss it terribly. May not be there in body but certainly in spirit.

Debbie enjoy your trip to Orlando.

Will keep in touch.

Maureen

Eileen said...

Good to hear from you Maureen. Keep up the walking!

I plan to be out Saturday - will bring yak traks just in case.

Eileen said...

Good to hear from you Maureen. Keep up the walking!

I plan to be out Saturday - will bring yak traks just in case.

Anonymous said...

I'm still fighting the flu bug, won't be out tomorrow. Have good walk, stay warm.
Sheila

Trish said...

I plan to be out tomorrow. Getting the layers ready.

Helen said...

See everyone Saturday, bundled up and ready to roll.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,
I will be participating in the April 1 race and also the brunch afterwards. I will also email you directly.
Lynne

Anonymous said...

I'll be at Lou-Ann's house on Monday
at 2pm,

Valerie

Jan said...

I am planning on going out tonight - I think my quads have just about recovered from Saturday - really achy yesterday

Helen said...

Bob & I will be out on Monday. See you soon.

Trish said...

I won't be out Wed night. Going to try and get a quick one in from home. Busy week and away on the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Happy valentines day! :>

I'm solisiting for my good friend Jeanny Scantlebury (remember Jeanny?)....she is going to do the Detroit Marathon! and she's looking to share a room.....does anyone have extra space in their hotel?

Helen said...

Hoping to be out on Wednesday, transportation permitting.