Thursday 12 January 2012

Walks: Saturday to Wednesday, Jan. 14 to 18

Who's Goofy now, eh?
First, short and sweet:

Saturday at 8 am, 10K if weather permits (a few of us are walking Sunday instead; contact me if you want to join us)

Monday and Wednesday at 7 pm, 8K if we can.

Next, the report from Disney via Libby:
The Disney "gals" accomplished the mission arriving home with three well earned medals. Our goal was to have fun and that we did,! The weather was cooperative although the finish of the marathon was a very warm 27 C.  Early am starts of 5:30 each day with a bus ride and long 20+ minute walk to corrals meant a 3 am wake-up two mornings in a row! 
The course of the half was wickedly crowded  with very few break away's particularly in the theme parks, making for lots of jostling- not a race anyone could expect a good time.- so we just relaxed and enjoyed the scenery and characters , bands and amazing support along the route.  We stopped for character photos along the way! The full was slightly less crowded ( a mere 18000 vs. 23000) but required careful maneuvering through 5 theme parks. Ruth stayed with us for the full (too crowded to find her for the half until the end) and she was a fabulous third hand to prevent people cutting in front as we walked in tight areas. Arlene and I are suffering from broken blisters today but amazingly well otherwise. The slower pace certainly helps in recovery!
Ruth passes along this important info for those who use Advil during long walks:
The information we got prior to the Goofy contained the following information, which I have to say was quite a shock to us (though one of Libby’s friends said that she was already aware of the warning).

“Recent medical research has shown that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc. may be harmful to runners’ kidney function if taken within 24 hours of running.  Only acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) has been shown to be safe.

NSAIDs are thought to increase the possibility of hyponatremia while running long distances by decreasing blood flow to the kidneys and interfering with a hormone that helps the body retain salt.  Therefore, it is recommended that on race day (specifically, beginning midnight before you run) you DO NOT use anything but acetaminophen if needed until 6 hours after you have finished the race, are able to drink without any nausea or vomiting, have urinated once, and feel physically and mentally back to normal.  Then, an NSAID would be beneficial in preventing post-event muscle soreness.

Vitamin supplements (Vitamin A, C, and E) can alter urine color, so be wary of hydration status if taking these supplements.

Caffeine and other amphetamine-like compounds containing pseudophedrine, such as Sudafed and most sinus and cold preparations, taken within 24-hours of race time can also raise core temperature, increase blood pressure and heart rate, and should be drastically limited during this time.”

I did a bit of Googling, and there does indeed seem to be research showing that NSAIDs prior to a race are harmful.  So, particularly on hot days and for long walks/races it might be best to avoid NSAIDs (and of course to be sure to replace electrolytes using gels, Sharkies, and/or Gatorade or other drink containing electrolytes).
Our race interest lists are filling up! The Detroit Half has quite a crowd of Shore Things. The Alfie Shrub 8K this year is having its 10th Anniversary, June 3rd. Early bird rates in effect till Feb. 15th. And I'm thinking that we might hold our Shore Things 10K on the Island this year. What say you?

Good luck to Margy and Rainer in the Bermuda Half on Saturday! Bring some of that weather home.

20 comments:

Stacey said...

Congratulations Disney gals! I am in awe of your determination and stamina and that picture is wonderful! Peggy and I have been walking up a storm for the past 2 weeks and have walked 67K so far. This is hard! But I have to say it is getting easier. See everyone on Saturday at Tim's!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, ladies (Arlene, Ruth and Libby). Amazing stamina and determination. The three of you are great inspirations. The info on the meds was a true eye-opener. Thanks for that.

Go Rainer and Margy! You are unbeatable. I appreciate your choice of destinations for races.

I think that I would like to walk on Sunday. I think that I will give myself a treat and sleep in on Saturday. Yeah, that's a good idea. See you Sunday Helen.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Stacey,

What are the chances of us hitting the send button at exactly the same time!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Congrats Disney Ladies! What an accomplishment! Sharon and Stacey.....buy a lottery ticket today! :) Enjoy Bermuda Margi and Rainer! I'm going to give my lungs another day off tomorrow and might join in on Sunday....I'll sign in before evening tomorrow to confirm. Happy Friday everyone! :)
Alexis

Olwyn said...

Congrats to the Disney girls; well done! And best of luck to Rainer and Margy; have fun. I'm hoping to be out Sat morning if it's not too stormy. Otherwise, what time are the Sunday walkers heading out?
And bravo to Stacey and Peggy for logging 67 kms over the past two weeks - way to go!

Helen said...

I'll be at the Master Gardeners Technical Update all day Saturday, so will miss walking with many of you.

Instead, I'll be walking Sunday, starting from Tim's in the plaza at Victoria Park and Gerrard at 9:15. Henceforth, the name of this starting point will be "Tim's 2" (thanks, Trish). Should be 10K to Rosetta McClain.

Stay warm!

Lou-Ann said...

Wow...oops no I mean how fabulous Ruth, Libby and Arlene...congrats!!! You go Rainer and Margy, enjoy the warmth of the day. I will be walking on Saturday, hopefully there will be one or two others, enjoy your gardening update Helen.

Trish said...

Congrats to the Disney gals. Looking forward to seeing some pics of you with Mickey. Margie and Rainer - hope you have a good race.
I will be joining the Sunday group at Tim's 2.

debbie said...

Ruth, Libby and Arlene, you rock! Talk about determination, perseverance and stamina!

I'll be missing both of this weekend's walks (some other obligations) but, despite the weather, I did walk today with my daughter Bonnie, who is visiting from Washington. It wasn't as bad as it looked!

Hope to see you all next week!

Anonymous said...

I didn't walk Sat (back giving me trouble again), but I'm going to go Sunday from Tim's2
Leverne

Barbara said...

Ian and I will join you tomorrow at Tim's 2.

Congratulations to the Disney trio! You all look so fresh after the marathon and a half++! Amazing.

Barbara said...

Ian and I will join you tomorrow at Tim's 2.

Congratulations to the Disney trio! You all look so fresh after the marathon and a half++! Amazing.

Anonymous said...

I'm still having posting issues....confusing! Just in case here goes again.....I'm not gonna make it tomorrow (Sun) a.m so have a great walk! alexis

Eileen said...

You Disney Gals are awesome! The training you did in preparation is truly admirable! Margy and Rainer I hope you had a fabulous race and a good holiday down south.

I'll be walking from Bayview and Eglinton on Monday night (at 6:00) and will be at Shoppers on Wed night.

Trish said...

The sun appears to be shining for Wed. See you all at Shoppers.

Helen said...

We might be able to dodge the rain tonight if the radar maps are right. Hoping to be out on Monday, but if transportation becomes an issue, we will probably just walk from home. Don't wait for us.

Anonymous said...

You Disney gals are simply amazing... congratulations.
Hope to see you saturday morning
Rainer & Margy

Helen said...

I have 123.22 KM under my belt so far for January. Only 1888.78 km to go for 2012 km in 2012! I think I will pass on Wednesday's walk. My thighs are aching. I think the walk on Sunday in the snow did me in. I hope to see everyone on Saturday.

Sharon

Helen said...

Looks like Wednesday will be cold, but no precipitation. I can live with that, and hope to be there.

Helen said...

I reposted that comment from Sharon, as she posted it on an old message (something that seems to be happening more often; why?). I only wish I had 122KM under my belt, but I will eventually.