Sunday 15 May 2011

Walks: Mon. May 16 & Wed. May 18

We mist you!
Congratulations to all the finishers in both of today's races. It looks like you dodged the rain! Great times, and now you can take it easy. For a couple of days, at least.

This week, our Toronto Women's Half racers have 8K and 13K on the schedule – although we've unofficially changed all weeknight walks over 10K to 10K, you can do whatever distance you feel best prepares you. The rest of us, come out and keep them company.

Now, here's what I propose for us kooks who have accepted Lee Scott's Wow Powerwalking ultra-challenge this fall. Many want to do the 25K warm-up walk For the Toad – which you won't do at race pace, just for endurance. So:

As that's 9 weeks away, in July, let's begin a half-marathon training schedule to prepare you for the walk. Immediately after, we'll begin another 9-week half marathon schedule for the K-W Half, followed by the Run (AKA Walk) for the Toad.

For an idea of what that will mean over the next weeks, have a look at the black distances in the schedule currently posted. You can see the count-down weeks in brackets in the left column; start at Week 9. If that makes sense, we'll post a training schedule. We will all be in great shape!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea to do Run for the Toad....but......I'm planning a trip to Montreal that week end so....I'm in for the training with all of you as it sounds intense and judging from how I felt after the half marathon yesterday....it's what I need! So count me in for the training! :)
Except tonight that is....I need to rest my tired body! alexis

Trish said...

Helen, I love your thinking. I won't be doing the Run for the Toad, but am considering the warm up walk so would love to do the training. Need a new challenge and would certainly have me in shape for KW.
I plan to be out both tonight and Wednesday, weather cooperating.
Yes yes yes I will go buy some proper rain gear.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Congrats to all the Sunday racers...good times!

I also plan to be out tonight if it stays like this...sort of an Irish-misty-drizzle. If it pours, you won't see me.
Sheila

Helen said...

Bob has a meeting tonight, and Jan and I have to shop for appliances so we might not be finished in time.

Trish said...

At 6:00 when my workshop ended it was rainy and sky looked dark so I decided to go home. Hopefully Wed. will be better.

Trish said...

So now I have to back out of Wed night. Hooked up to a heart monitor til Thurs noon and the idea of washing hair etc after a long walk just doesn't wash with me. See you Sat.

Eileen said...

If it's only a light rain, I think I'll go walking tonight. Is anyone else going?

Eileen said...

Sorry folks...plans have changed I won't be out walking tonight.

Helen said...

If the sunshine sticks (or, at least, if the deluge stays away), I'll be out tonight.

Helen said...

We'll show up at Shoppers, and make the decision then... depending on the storm clouds.