Thursday 6 January 2011

Walk: Sat. Jan. 8 @ Tim's

Portrait of a Quonset Hut. You know which one!
Saturday's forecast seems to be snowy, but not too blowy. The schedule for the Chilly Half is now on the blog, and the distance is 11K. That's straight out to the lighthouse if we take the spit route, or to the top of Fallingbrook hill if we head east – or another route, should you care to plan one. (I say "we," but I'll be at a seminar on Saturday, and will be looking for company on Sunday instead.) Which will you do? Show up for an 8 am start and let your voice be heard.

If you're doing the Chilly, or any other race, please let Dawn H. know right away. It's easier to create training schedules, coordinate rides or race-kit pickups and organize post-race brunches for our team when we know who's playing. Dawn has volunteered to keep our race lists up-to-date, but she needs our help to do so.

And speaking of races, here's a link to the race in New Zealand that Bob & I have been chatting up for 2012. It's the Mizuno Lake Taupo Half Marathon around the first week in August. It's for runners and walkers, but describes itself as "the country's largest walking event" – and it's very walker-friendly, along a flat, scenic, lakeside there-and-back route, with what looks like a 4.5-hr time limit. Average winter temps in Taupo offer good walking weather at around 12˚C. Things to think about.

Olwyn is our birthday girl on Saturday – and we wish her a lovely day!

10 comments:

P Dawn said...

I plan to be at Tim's on Saturday morning. If I'm not still shovelling, that is.......

Lou-Ann said...

Hey there, I'm back...whether you like it or not. Best Birthday wishes to Olwyn! See you at Tim's at 8:00...I like the Fallingbrook route myself, however I will walk where ever we go. Nice blog P Dawn!

Trish said...

I plan to be out Sat. My vote would be Fallingbrook or the northern route. However as Lou-Ann says you start walking and I will follow. The spit for me is a spring place.

Jan said...

I plan to be out on Saturday and I think I would like to do the Boardwalk route for a change too

Ruth said...

I'll be out on Saturday. And Helen, if you'd like some company, I'm happy to walk on Sunday too.

Barbara said...

I would be happy to walk on Sunday as I am still recovering from a cold so the extra day would be great. So see you at 8 am on Sunday, Helen.
Have a wonderful brthday, Olwyn.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out Saturday. I'm not keen on the Spit. Like Trish, I think that the Spit is wonderful for the spring or summer.

And Helen, I'm up for a walk on Sunday. It's just that everyone who offered to walk with you will leave me in the dust (snow). There are all so speedy. And no, I am truly not fast.

Happy birthday, Olwyn. Wishing you a day of love and celebration.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

.....They're all so speedy. Sheesh!

Sharon

Maureen said...

Saturday morning, just looked out the window, Helen I'll join you Sunday, want to get one last walk in before going away. See you at Tim's on Sunday. Sharon if you don't walk today I can pick you up Sunday. Have a great birthday Olwyn.

Helen said...

Hi, Sunday walkers. I'll see you at 8 am on Sunday at Tim's for 11K or a distance of your choosing.