Sunday 26 December 2010

Note changes: Post-Christmas/New Year walks

At the Resolution 5K, what a turnout for the Shore Things, partners and kids!
A great showing for the Shore Things on a blustery cold day at the Exhibition Grounds. We even had a winner (Ray) at the post-race draw. And a most serious spread at Debbie's afterwards. Thanks, Debbie, from all of us for your generosity. We all want your flat now, though, as well as your recipe for brownies.

Next week, for those who are free during daylight hours, Dawn has again offered to host morning walks. For this week only, we'll switch our days to Tuesday and Thursday, for 6-8K starting at 9 am.

If you'd prefer company for our usual days and times, please make your requests here.

As Saturday is New Year's Day, we're also going to do a one-time switch for our weekend walk to Sunday at Tim's. So we don't completely go off the rails for our first walk of 2011, let's keep it to our usual 8 am start time; distance 6-10K.

Next week, we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Another memorable calendar year draws to a close for the Shore Things. Some of us have been walking together since the beginning of 2003 – which means we're heading into our ninth year as a group. My my, time really does fly when you're having fun. As Sharon wrote in her Christmas letter:
I have met truly amazing people, men and women alike. I could not have imagined that I would have so many friends that I could share so many ideas and interests with. I never thought that I would travel to so many places, even out of the country (imagine, Iceland!)… all the time challenging myself to push that much harder, to go that much further, to always improve and to be a better person.

We have been the best support group for one another. We have been there in the worst of times and the best of times. We have shared triumphs and disappointments. We have laughed heartily and have eaten our way to oblivion. We have celebrated milestones and endured everything that life can throw at us. We have done it all…
More good stuff in the months ahead, beginning (I think) with the Robbie Burns 8K on Jan. 23rd.

Belated Happy Birthday to Eva, Advance Birthday Wishes to Brette, and a very Happy New Year to each and every one.

10 comments:

Libby said...

Does this mean Tuesday's walk starts from Dawn's at 9am? Greg and I may join the group to wear off some of our Christmas treats!

Eileen said...

I'll be at Dawn's on Tues and Thurs for a short walk.

Anonymous said...

I went out this morning for a 7 km walk. I am sure glad that today's weather was not around for yesterday's Resolution Walk. It is bitter cold and the wind knocked me off course a couple of times. Still, it was good to get out and I probably burned off more calories than expected 'cause I booted it. It was too cold to do anything else. Anyway, thanks to everyone who made my week off a most enjoyable and busy one.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I'll be at Dawn's on Tuesday & most likely on Thursday.

Susan

Helen said...

Yes, Libby, Tuesday and Thursday will start from Dawn's at 9 am. Bob & I plan to be there tomorrow (Tues.), though we have to be home by 11. Hope to see you then.

Ruth said...

Thank you Dawn (and helpers) for a great feast. Reminded me of the story about Stone Soup :-)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR one and all!

I thought that we had done the Resolution Walk a tad too early and so I went to the Bluffs this morning, parked the car at the top of hill, walked downhill and around the base of the Bluffs and made my way back up the hill. Now that was the way to end the year!

I will see those who dare to venture out, Sunday morning at 8 AM.

Sharon

Helen said...

We'll be there on Sunday. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Everyone! I'm hoping to peel my butt off the sofa and get to loblaws tomorrow at 7!

Anonymous said...

Sorry.....forgot to tell who I was....but I bet the "butt on the sofa" part was a clue!
Alexis