Thursday 18 November 2010

Walk: Sat. Nov. 20 @ Tim's

Great shot of last Saturday's misty morning, by our gal Eileen
They say that this week's sulky weather will smarten up a bit for Saturday. Good thing, 'cause I have leaves to shred! Shall we say 8 am for 8-10K? We need to get a walk in before Santa Claus arrives on Sunday to herald in high-calorie season.

By the way, you still have time to order a book or calendar, as I won't be placing the order till we straighten out the dates below. Every year, we seem to get reorders after people see the product, so why wait? (As I don't make a penny on the sale, this little nag is for your benefit only.)

Our poll: Votes so far overwhelmingly prefer (13-1) a spring race and fall party. If you haven't clicked in your vote (the poll is at the top of the right column on the blog), you have three more days to do so. Sorry, I can't accept votes given in the comments, as there's a danger of duplication.

Proposed dates: For our spring 10K race, how about Sunday, April 3rd (the day after Harry's and the Beach Spring Sprint)?

For our fall party, for the last couple of years it's been on the second Saturday in November. However, in 2011 that falls on a couple of Shore Things birthdays. Since we'll all know in advance, I'm hoping the group won't mind shifting the date by one week to make it November 19th (the 3rd Saturday), for 2011 only. Then we'll return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Good luck to Margy and Rainer, who are already working on deafening us at next year's party with the sound of their medals clinking. They're doing the Whitby Waterfront Race on Sunday.

I also have sad news to pass along. Many of you will remember Darrell Atherley, the extremely tall, extremely fast, extremely nice walker from Wow in Oakville. He passed away on Nov. 12th after a year-long battle with cancer. There will be a death notice soon with details in the Globe & Mail. We send our sincere condolences to his wife Joan and their family.

7 comments:

Helen said...

The thing I forgot to mention this week is that the Robbie Burns 8K is already sold out. We have 11 people registered on the Shore Things team. As we have all this time to work on it, should we try for a costume?

See you Saturday morning.

Trish said...

I'm sure with the creative minds of our group we can come up with a themed costume for Robbie Burns.I will co-ordinate car pooling.
I won't be out Saturday - I will be somewhere called Plevna. I will leave it to you to google it. All I know is that it is northeast of TO.
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Won't be out on Saturday. I'm have an unpleasant rendezvous with the dentist Friday and I am sure I will not be a happy walker. Maybe by Monday I will be more comfortable.

Enjoy your walk and any races.

Helen, please put me down for a calendar.

Thanks,
Sharon

P Dawn said...

I won't be out tomorrow as I have Maya staying over tonight. A couple of weeks ago she complained that Tim's was "too much noise" so you won't see us for coffee either.

Wow Power Walking Founder said...

Hi all Shore Things walkers,

Thank you so much to Helen for mentioning Darrell's passing. It is a huge loss to the walking community. Not only was he a great competitor but he was the best cheerleader to walkers of all speeds.

Keep up the amazing walking.

Lee

debbie said...

I'll be out tomorrow, all bundled up!

Cheers,

Debbie

debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.