Sunday 26 September 2010

Walks: Mon. Sept. 27 & Wed. Sept. 29

The Shore Things (minus two) after the KW Walking Classic 2010
Our hats off to Susan and David Lewis and all the organizers for a great race with some very snazzy t-shirts and medals. The sky was blue, the temperature was just right, and despite a challenging, hilly course the Shore Things piled up milestones and personal bests at the KW Walking Classic 10K and very first half marathon.

Bob came in 2nd male and 7th overall with a personal best time of 1:24 and change. Arlene, Ruth, Sheila, Rainer and Marg each earned age-category rankings in the half and 10K. Barbara and Trish both had personal bests (I'm sure there were more; access the race results here), Jeanny completed her first half marathon, it was a first half, post-injury, for Eileen, and Maureen earned her first-ever medal. To top it all off, the pot luck dinner the night before was a big success, built around Rainer's delicious lasagna. Another tradition?

Meanwhile, back on the streets of Toronto, Olwyn was shining in her solo assault on the Scotia half marathon. Here's her report:
It was a delightful race!  My time was 3:14, give or take a few seconds... I saw Michelle under the Gardiner, she was out to support the race, and she snapped this pic!  I enjoyed it immensely; I felt like I was 'channeling' all of you through Eileen; we texted every few kilometers. The weather was perfect; the entertainment lovely, with many bands/dancers along the route; and I've never passed so many water stations in one race in my life!
It was quite the weekend. Now, the Chicago racers move into taper, but with one 16K Monday night walk left, with a more reasonable 6K interval night on Wednesday.

Except for Ruth (The Unstoppable), who is registered for the Toronto Half in mid-October, the rest of us can take a breather for a week – just a week – because we don't want to get out of form for the Shore Things 10 + 10 on October 31st (hope you'll be there). Come out on our usual nights and set your distances... 6K, 8K, 10K? Sign in and declare.

Now, I guess I'll wish myself a happy birthday, and many more!

18 comments:

Trish said...

Congrats to Olwyn for a great race in the Scotiabank.We missed you in KW. Thanks to all the shorethings walkers, families, and friends who made our weekend in KW so great. Friends, food, fun! A big thanks to Dawn who powered through and drew me along at a great clip.
I will be out Wed night and of course vote for the 6-8 range!

Eileen said...

Fabulous weekend in Waterloo. Many thanks to Reiner for the best ever lasagna, to Dawn for booking our hotel and to everyone else for making it such a fun time. BTW - did I mention I saw a ghost in my room?

Jan said...

Great weekend! So many people did so well! I think overall the Shore Things were a great presence in Waterloo.

I'm going to give myself a rest today though so I won't be out. See everyone Wednesday

Anonymous said...

Loads of fun yeasterday! Great weather.....great company......great brunch! :)

Great Job at the Scotia Olwyn!!

No rest for the weary chicago'ers tonight! we'll be meeting at Loblaws for an early start (5:30 pm) for 16km! After this one it's major tapper.....yippii!!

Eileen said...

I forgot to mention that, like Jan, I'm resting tonight and have a commitment for Wed night so I'll see you all at Tim's on Saturday.

It was loads of fun texting Olwyn during the race!

Olwyn said...

Congrats to everyone for your great race times; sounds like everybody had a great weekend! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Helen; must be your 39th?!? Hope you celebrate with your feet up, and have amusing beverages brought you you at the snap of a finger! (Bob, please take note...!) I won't be out Wed or Sat, as the opera season is full on, but do hope to be out next week sometime. Happy walking!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all the weekend racers (KW and Scotia)

I will be at Loblaws at 5:30 for the 16k.

Barb Shand

Barbara said...

Congrats to Olywn on Scotiabank. You look like you had a great time. I will not be out tonight but plan on being there on Wednesday. Happy Birthday Helen.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Helen!

It was a very enjoyable weekend in Kitchener/Waterloo...the Shorethings have certainly perfected the science of exercise plus loads of fun. And it sounds like Olwyn had her share in Toronto, congratulations!

I cannot make it for 5:30, and it doesn't look like there are any 7:00ers so far, so I'm going to tuck in with my yoga tape and stretch my sore spots.

I won't be out until Wednesday of next week due to other commitments.
See you then,
Sheila

debbie said...

The Waterloo weekend was great, good company, good weather,good walking, good food...what more can you ask?

Thanks to everyone who helped organize it...and Rainer, I want your lasagna recipe!

As long as it's not raining, I'll be at Loblaws at 7 pm tonight for whatever distance...anyone else coming?

Cheers

Debbie

P Dawn said...

I'd like to echo all the commeents already made. In a couple of words - congratulations and great!!!

I won't be at Loblaws tonight, but am hoping to be at Shoppers on Wednesday

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like Iceland minus the long flight. To all the participants, near and far, job well done. We are an awesome group.

Helen, happy birthday to you and many happy returns.

I won't be out this evening. I am allergic to rain. And Maureen is busy at home. We hope to be out on Wednesday.

Sharon

Helen said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone. Bob & I will be giving tonight a pass, too. And I won't be out on Wednesday either. So hope to see you all on Saturday. Cheers.

Jeanny said...

Since i so enjoyed KW experience I would like to sign up for Oct 31st 10 plus 10 event.
Jeanny :)

Trish said...

Changing my mind - won't be out tonight. Have had an invitation to go out for dinner. See you all Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Let me add my congratulations to all who did any races over the last weekend... we're getting good at what we do.
I'll be out to do our 6km tonight.
Leverne

Barbara said...

I will be there tonight at 7pm. It will be good to walk after today!

Bob said...

In case someone reads this late before Wednesday's walk, I won't be out. Have cold coming on and a time sensitive assignment due.