Thursday 5 August 2010

Walk: Sat. Aug. 7 @ Tim's

The evidence is in: Trish is back! We're invited to make her return a big splash at Lou-Ann and Paul's Pool Party on Saturday afternoon. Pot luck, starting at 2 pm. See you there.

Our Saturday walks include a 21K for both full-marathon groups. We recommend the 6:30 am start. You'll be happy you did once it's over.

Official summer start time remains 7 am, but sign in if you'll be there earlier (or later, for that matter).

The distances this weekend:

KW & Scotia Halfs: 10K
Reykjavik Half: 18K
Chicago & Reykjavik Full: 21K

Here's a suggested route for the long distances, broken into two chunks. We found this chunking strategy helped mitigate the length of the walk (or the sense that it was soooooooo looooooooooong) last week on our 35K walk:

- from Tim's, take the straight/bridge path along the Spit
- turnaround at the Rocks (before the bridge) for the 18K, OR at the end of the asphalt (just before the lighthouse) for the 21K – that's 8K and 11K respectively
- then take the boardwalk route to Queen and to the end of Neville Park for the turnaround – that's 10K
- back to Tim's for well-deserved coffee

This weekend's birthday girl is Norma, and we wish for a happy one. Cheers, everyone. Next time I write to you, I'll be packing for Reykjavik.

13 comments:

P Dawn said...

a few of the 19k people will be starting at 6.30 am from Tim's. We can decide on our route then, but we generally tend to do the boardwalk ttowards Rosetta McLean and turn aound.

My guess is we'll stick to that route tomorrow.

Libby said...

I will not be walking with the chicago group this weekend- am biking the vieneyards of niagara with lots of hydrating of a different kind! Will fit my 21k in sometime???
Welcome back Trish and Happy Birthday Norma.
see you nest week
Libby

Anonymous said...

I'll be there at 7, to walk 10. -- Michelle

Charlotte S said...

I will be there at 6:30 for the 18k. Sounds like we will do the Rosetta McLean route.

debbie said...

I'll be there at 6:30 (no more snooze button repeats tomorrow), walking distance tba!

Looking forward to Lou-Ann and Paul's pool party!

Debbie

P Dawn said...

a few of the 19k people will be starting at 6.30 am from Tim's. We can decide on our route then, but we generally tend to do the boardwalk ttowards Rosetta McLean and turn aound.

My guess is we'll stick to that route tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I will be there at 6:30 for 21 km (I better have a glass of wine & think about that one for a few minutes)

and I may walk to Rosetta McLean with the 19 km group (or not)

Susan

Helen said...

As we seem to have an anti-Spit or pro-Rosetta movement happening, who am I to go against the flow.

We'll be there for 21K in an easterly direction. The turnaround takes us just east of Midland, to the end of Undercliff. See you at 6:30.

Anonymous said...

What 19 KM? Why the heck would we want to walk farther than necessary? Sheesh.

I'll be there for 6:30 and I guess I'll tag along to go eastbound. But I'm only doing 18 km.

Norma, if you are not out tomorrow, happy birthday. If you are out tomorrow, happy birthday.

Sharon

Olwyn said...

I'll be there in the morning at 6:30 or 7:00am, depending on when the alarm goes off! See everyone at Lou-Anne and Paul's in the afternoon; Olwyn

Anonymous said...

I'll be there at 6:30, I'll keep you company Susan for the 21km.
Leverne

Stacey said...

Hi everyone and welcome back Trish! And happy birthday Norma! I won't be out tomorrow morning - though I will be walking 21K on the back country roads around Marmora. See you on Monday and enjoy the pool party.

debbie said...

To all our intrepid Shore Things soon to depart for Iceland:

I wish you all the very best in this wonderful adventure.

You have done the work, sweated the miles, walked the walk.

I know you will all finish strong and proud. We will all be thinking of you (and wishing we were there with you!).

Have an amazing time, and we look forward to hearing all your stories!

Cheers,

Debbie