Sunday 25 July 2010

Walks: Mon. July 26 & Wed. July 28

The Shore Things are troopers. They say Toronto has only had nine days of +30˚C weather this summer. It feels like much more. The Humidex ratings have pushed the "real feel" well into the 30s and beyond. That has been a big enough stress on our system – though probably on the Reykjavik course I'll regret my lack of hill training.

This week's distances:

KW & Scotia Half: 8K & 8K
Chicago Full: 6K & 10K
Reykjavik Full & Half: 8K & 10K

If the weather be willing on Monday, we will do some hills.

The Unstoppable Couple, Margy and Rainer, once again shone as representatives of the Shore Things, this time at the Whitby 5000 15th Anniversary Road Race, a 5K event. Here's his report:
Margie came in 3rd walker overall and second female, I was 1st... a really nice event but low turnout. It seems that there were two other events, the Friday night Heydenshore race and the Saturday am Durham 1/4 marathon. All events on same weekend sapped participants from this event which was the only one to have a walker category. Too bad....nice medal and a Tim Horton gift card.
Maybe in future, when we don't have such a large contingent training for long races, we might be able to rustle up interest for smaller events. Shorter races can be about speed, rather than endurance, so can still provide training goals, but without the big time commitment needed for the longer races.

Mind you, yesterday Bob showed me a link for the Kilimanjaro Half Marathon, and looked at me significantly. That race is in February, though, so he and I would have to wait till he retires. Phew!

8 comments:

Stacey said...

I'll be there on Monday evening, and I'm game for hills! I'm hydrating as we speak - but don't ask with what... :-)

P Dawn said...

I won't be out on Monday evening, but going out at 7.00 am tomorrow. I'll see if I can persuade the others to do the hill by the park a few times.

Anonymous said...

I hope to be out Monday night....traffic permitting.

I fessin' up that I checked the link to the Kilimanjaro half. Looks very, very interesting, to say the least.

Susan

Olwyn said...

I won't be out tonight, as I've been invited to a 'hydrating' party; but will be there on Wednesday. See you then, and happy hills tonight! Olwyn

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm on vacation and had the pleasure of walking with a few Shore Things this morning...we even did hills!

I'm going to be away for a week and a bit, so see you August 9th.
Sheila

Helen said...

Bob & I will be out Monday evening. See you at 7.

Helen said...

Bob & I will be walking on Wednesday MORNING at 7 am, leaving from our place. Give us a call if you want to join us. (I'll also check email before I go, so you can leave me a message in the comments.)

Olwyn said...

It's about 20 to 7pm on Wed night, and thunder and lightening overhead, and pouring rain out. I think I'll give it a miss tonight,and catch up another day. Olwyn