Wednesday 28 July 2010

Walk: Sat. July 31 @ Tim's

Would you believe, the person who finishes the 35K first this Saturday wins this sparkling blue Thunderbird convertible!? (In our dreams.) Simply a little motivation for our Reykjavik marathoners, who do the big one this Saturday, starting at 6 am. The mind leads the body, after all. Think of us.

For everyone else, starting at 7 am:

KW & Scotia Halfs: 11K
Chicago Full: 14K
Reykjavik Half: 16K

Please sign in to say you'll be there, or to propose alternative times. Or vehicular prizes.

A great trick to stay cool on the roads: half-fill your water bottle with water or your preferred sports drink, and freeze it overnight before your walk. Then top up your bottle just before you leave home. We tried it this morning, and the ice lasts for about 1.5 hours. Thanks to the Toronto Power Walkers blog for the tip.

Belated congratulations go out to David Spall, who ran-walked the Nissan 10-Miler a couple of weeks ago. A report from Norma:
What is amazing is that he didn’t train for it and hadn’t done anything longer than 10k in close to a month and the night before we had a birthday party to attend in Grimsby and it was a late night. Plus it was quite hot that morning.  He did the race anyway and completed it in 1 hour and 54 seconds. Not bad!
That's true grit, David. It gives new meaning to the idea of cross-training. Well done.

We want to welcome home Trish, who arrives back in Canada on Friday. Remember to schedule Lou-Ann's pot luck pool party on August 7th to celebrate her return.

And a reminder to please send me your latest contact information for our Shore Things phone/email directory. Everyone will receive a copy of the latest version, so you'll know how to get in touch with each other. If you reply by email to *this* email, then the reply comes only to me. I'll forward it on to Sharon who is handling the update.

14 comments:

P Dawn said...

Some of the 16k walkers will be starting at 6.30 am from Tim's. Please let us know if you want to join us at that time.

I have been freezing my water for several weeks now - and yes, it certainly does last a lot longer. But I freeze it almost full........

Olwyn said...

I'll be there for the 7:00am 11k walk. Thanks for the 'freezing' tip, I'll give it a try. Any thoughts of doing the Monday walk in the morning? Olwyn

Olwyn said...

Oh, and best of luck to the full marathoners doing the 35k this Saturday ~ I'll be thinking of you, every step of the way!

Charlotte S said...

I will be there for 6:30am. Yikes.
Dawn, don't leave without me.

Lou-Ann said...

I will not be out this Saturday...have a nice long weekend everyone!

Jan said...

We're off tomorrow for BC - so I won't be out for Saturday! Hope the weather is good for you especially for the long-distance people.

For those of you leaving for Iceland before I get back have a super time - and good luck in the race - I'm really sorry to miss it!

Be safe everyone - I want to hear all the stories and see all the pictures

Libby said...

Fellow Chicago-ites Laverne, Barb? I will be joining the 32k'ers to test my system on a long walk.

Anonymous said...

I need to walk 14K and I don't mind a 6:30 or 7am start, is anyone else doing the 14?
Leverne

Anonymous said...

Actually I'll just do the 16k and start at 6:30 with everyone else.
Leverne

debbie said...

Majority rules, 16 km at 6:30 am it is.

Reykjavik 35 km people --kudos to you, you are amazing!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I will not be out tomorrow, as I hurt my foot 2 wks ago and have been limping since.

Barb Shand

Anonymous said...

Fellow troopers,

Any thoughts about Monday's walk? Some of us are off because of Simcoe day. I am willing to go out in the morning. I'll check back later today to see what the consensus is.

Sharon

Charlotte S said...

Some of us discussed walking from Tim's Monday morning at 8:00 that way we have somewhere to go back to after. Anyone else interested?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Monday morning is good for me.
See you at 8:00 am at Tim's.
Susan