Monday 21 June 2010

Walks: Mon. June 21 & Wed. June 23

Happy Summer, everyone! There were lots of good pictures from Saturday's walk, but the one I thought I'd lead with is one that you might not have seen, unless you did the 21K past the Keating Channel on Cherry Street. Notice that storm front rolling in? But we never did get that promised thunderstorm.

This week, the schedule for the Kitchener-Waterloo Walking Classic Half officially begins, though most of you have already outpaced the early distances.

Monday is hills night, but there will be a hill-free option. Wednesday would normally be tempo night, but this week we'll be having a social at Lou-Ann's after the walk to see Cynthia. Here are the numbers:

Monday:

KW Half: 5K
Reykjavik Half & Chicago Full: 8K with 6 hills
Reykjavik Full: 8K with 9 hills

Wednesday: (Note that we'll start and finish at Lou-Ann's house; reply to this email if you don't have the address.)

KW Half: 3K
Chicago Full: 5K
Reykjavik Half: 8K
Reykjavik Full: 13K (which I'm breaking into 5K and 8K over two days)

Congratulations to Margy & Rainer who did the OTMH 5K in Oakville on Father's Day. Rainer was rewarded for his double birthday-FD efforts by coming first male in the Master's category, and his good lady came in 3rd in her age category. The indefatigable couple gave the race (which has a walker's category) a big thumbs up. Something to consider for a shorter race.

And happy birthday wishes in advance to Dawn B, our Wednesday birthday girl.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

I thought I would let you know that I will be away until the 27th (summit Sunday!). I am going to England to be with Jenny. She has just heard that she has another cyst in her jaw and that when they remove it they will also take two teeth. This comes after two major surgeries over the last two months and another one scheduled for July. So the whole thing is getting to her and she has, for once, not refused my offer of going over. I will be missing walks here for a week but hopefully will get some walking in when I am there.

Barbara

P Dawn said...

I won't be out this evening (walking this afternoon instead - and will look for some hills!!

See you at Lou-Ann's on Wednesday.

Helen said...

Here's a route for 8K with 6 hills.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ca/on/toronto/484127713836752837

Copy and paste it into your browser.

For the Reykjavik Full people... which I guess will be me... we'll just have to do the bigger hills instead on Monday. See you 7ish.

debbie said...

Hi all,

Barbara, sorry to hear about the additional surgery for Jenny, but good that you will be with her...no matter how independent they think they are, it's good to be with your Mom in these situations (not to mention necessary for Mom!)

I'm back from Victoria and Tofino, was lovely, Gary and I did the half together, steady but not straining pace, finished in 3:30, very respectable for him since it was his first and he barely trained!

Hope to send some pix soon.

See you all Wednesday at Lou-Ann's.

Cheers

Debbie

Jan said...

I am planning on coming out - little worried about the heat and the hills though

Jan said...

I am planning on coming out - little worried about the heat and the hills though

Jan said...

no that doesn't mean I am doing the hills twice - just hit the "publish" button twice!!

Helen said...

For those who don't want to do hills, here's a flat 8K route that starts us all out together:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/walk/canada/on/toronto/115879763

Copy & paste into your browser.