Monday 25 January 2010

Walks: Mon. Jan. 25 & Wed. Jan. 27


Hey, Shore Things, I'm hoping you won't mind this temporary shift to two posts a week: one for the weeknight walks, and one for Saturdays. It'll make my life easier till my courses end in mid-April. Use the Monday post to sign in for both nights to let people know if you'll be there.

So first our walks: still 6K each night this week. Be careful Monday tonight, as this mild weather is about to take a dip after dark.

Next, a race report: A good time was had by all at the 30th anniversary of the Robbie Burns 8K. The rain gods smiled and the rain held off till we were safely on our way home. Bob, Ruth and Arlene all received plaques for being top-three finishers in their age category. We're sure that Rainer would have been up there, too, but the poor guy lost his chip on the course, so had no official time. Please give him the cheers he deserves. The porridge was tasty and the medals were particularly cute.

If I can say one thing, though. I should listen to my own nagging: nothing new on race day. The clips on my InstaKilt gave way in the first five minutes, and I struggled with that #@%*, I mean very handsome, towel for the rest of the race. Repeat after me: nothing new on race day!

Finally, a race suggestion: After checking out transportation options to Cincinnati, Bob & I have decided to save the Flying Pig for another year. Instead, we're looking at the Waterloo Half on April 25th (FYI: same day as the Mercedes Benz 10K). This doesn't conflict with Hot Docs, is relatively close, and is supposed to be a pretty country course. The downside: no walker's category, though walkers are said to be welcome in the half. Earlybird rates apply till March 1. Think about this one.

Have a safe, happy walk... or walks!

11 comments:

Helen said...

I won't be out on Monday -- the plan is to walk with Jan on Tuesday morning. Hope to see you Wednesday.

Oh, of course I forgot to mention that I have vest samples at last! They look good. With luck, we'll get this order underway soon. Let me know if you'd like to try for fit.

Jan said...

I won't be out tonight either - I spent yesterday on the couch battling the stomach bug that has been plaguing my family - better today but tired so figure I won't be up for a walk tonight.

Barbara said...

I will not be out in the east end this week as I have an appointment on Wednesday afternoon in our neighbourhood and will not make it back to walk at 7pm.

I am interested in trying the vests. Enjoy the walks this week.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I will not be out tonight...need to rest my weary bones! I'm not sure yet about Wed. but will post......I'm interested in trying the vests helen.....thnx, ag

Anonymous said...

opps......ag is Alexis.......

Trish said...

Love the photo. You all look very Scottish in your insta-kilts. Sorry i missed it! Congrats to all on a great race.

Anonymous said...

Have to work late so won't be out tonight, hope to see you Wednesday.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I will not be out tonight.
Barb Shand

Lou-Ann said...

Well it doesn't look like anyone will be there so I won't be either...started to drizzle on my home so what the hay...

See you on Saturday as I don't walk on Wednesdays. Eileen I will pick you up on Saturday. Thanks for the ride home Bob and Helen.

Lou-Ann said...

Hi Trish...missed you this year!

Helen said...

We'll be there tonight -- I'm thinking 5K. Anyone object?