Wednesday 6 January 2010

Walk: Sat. Jan. 9 @ Tim's


Hey, we have bookend birthdays this week: Olwyn on Friday and Jan on Sunday. A very happy birthday to you both!

Saturday, we'll maintain our 8K maintenance schedule. Our route will depend on the weather.

Marathon news: Bob & I just took the plunge and registered for Reykjavik! If you're also doing a marathon this year, please let me know which one. In a few short weeks, we'll begin serious training schedules, and I'll try to keep us in sync for our long walks.

Rainer and Marg are doing the Chilly Half – anyone else? Do the Around the Bay racers need a schedule? I'm happy to help, but need to know what you're up to.

If you want to D.I.Y., generic half marathon and full marathon schedules are posted on the blog. Just print up a copy and plug in your dates, working backwards from the week of your event. Despite what the schedule says, for full marathoners, I recommend we keep weeknight walks to 10K or under. To compensate, full marathoners will add one more day of training: a 6K walk at your race pace or faster. That should be easy to squeeze into a lunch hour or morning, or even a recovery walk after the long distance on the weekend.

That's it for now, folks. I won't be there on Saturday, as I'm at a seminar this week.... and I'll miss Mondays from now till April, as I'm taking a course. But be sure there will be Shore Things at Tim's ready to walk at 8 am. Hope you'll be among them! Have a great walk.

7 comments:

P Dawn said...

I will be at Tim's on Saturday

Eva said...

I'm back... New year, new beginning.

I will be at Tim's on Saturday.

I've just registered for the KW Minds In Motion half.
Still trying to decide another half and maybe, a big maybe, a full... all these in preparation for Camino in 2011.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Olwyn and Jan.
I will only be out on Saturday if the wind chill is above -15!

Lynne

debbie said...

Helen and Bob and Sharon --exciting that you've signed up for the full monty in Reykjavik!

Think how cool it will be to toss out, in casual conversation, "oh yes, we'll be in Reykjavik this summer...just doing a marathon..."

Seriously, sounds amazing.

As of now I'm sticking with halves, but I plan to do lots of them, and I'm looking foward to doing some of the long training walks with you guys.

Meantime, re tomorrow...I'm with Lynne....if my nose vaporizes when I open the front door in the morning to check the weather, I'll go to the gym instead.

Cheers,

Debbie

Lou-Ann said...

I will be there Saturday morning, lets hope it is not too cold. Dawn and I are going Friday January 22nd to pick up Robbie Burns' race kits, so if you want us to pick yours up just let us know.

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone......you guys are brave...(re: last Sat.)....I looked out the window and then got back unter the covers! Lou Anne and Dawn....I would greatly appreciate if you could pick up my race kit too.....who should I send the confirmation to?
Thnx, alexis

Anonymous said...

So...I'm registered for the kitchener half in Sept. Wondering about another (or 2) half marathons between now and then...gonna look at the list to see what you're all planning.....alexis