Monday 22 June 2009

Walk: Mon. June 22 @ Loblaws

It's summer -- in name and deed! Hope lots of you come on out tonight for a friendly 6K. (If Bob and I don't make it, it'll be due to last-minute 16th birthday party emergencies... otherwise, see you at 7 pm.)

When I wrote about Julaine's experience in the Ride to Conquer Cancer, I hadn't realized that Libby was also braving those hills and 200+K distances. Here's her story:

As Julaine stated it was quite the awe inspiring experience. We rode as a tribute to my brother Robin, a keen recreational cyclist who died last summer in his 50th year.

Our team BFCC Robin's Ride consisted of my sister-in-law Cindy (riding Robin's bike), Jay and Cathy, Robin's close friends from Vancouver, and myself. Jay and Robin had been scheduled to ride a stage of the Tour de France last year before Robin's cancer spread.

We raised over $16,000 for Head and Neck Cancer research in Robin's name. It was a big family event and my son came from Halifax as a surprise to greet me at the finish line of day. With 3500 riders including numerous survivors, we were all linked with a common bond of having family and or friends touched by cancer. Quite the experience.

You're awe-inspiring, too. Congratulations to all the finishers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Working tonight....my AGM....so won't be able to join you, yet again.

The stories of the bike riding are indeed inspiring. Congratulations to Julianne & Libby...amazing feat!

Susan

Olwyn said...

Bravo Libby; what an accomplishment! Just letting everyone know that I won't be out tonight, as we have dinner plans...with hope, I'll be out on Wednesday. Have a good walk, O.

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring Libby and Julianne, congratulations!

I'm planning to be out tonight(hope I'm not the only one.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Leverne and I are planning to walk tonight.

Lynne

debbie said...

Libby and Julaine,

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

You are amazing and inspirational!

Hope to see you Saturday,

Debbie