Wednesday 13 May 2009

Walks: Victoria Day Weekend

Rosetta McClain Park (or just shy of there; but the park provides a handy bio break stop) is our turnaround for Saturday's 18K.

Please note, we have an earlier start, at 7:30 am, for those doing the long walk. (If you prefer to sleep the extra half hour and walk at 8, sign in to tell your walking friends so they can choose.)

Remember to bring fuel for the long journey: gels or jellies, sports bars, or whatever you like best. It should have some salts to rebalance your electrolytes.

Also bring water or a sports drink. Take one or two sips every 20 minutes -- to keep you juiced up without making you stop to pee.

I've vowed not to talk about the weather. But bring cab money and a phone, just in case. I've also found it wise to slip toilet paper in my pouch. A ziplock bag for these things is water-tight. I say no more.

On Monday, it's a paltry 8K. Note that we'll meet in the morning, 9 am at Loblaws. We have enough people to make a morning walk work. However, if you prefer to meet in the evening, illuminated by fireworks, please say so, so that people can choose between times.

Please sign in to let us know who's coming, when and where. Hope to see you but, if not, have a great long weekend.

14 comments:

debbie said...

Hi all,

I'll be there at 7:30 am, with my dollar-store raincoat.

I'd like to go the distance, but will play it by ear, depending on the weather.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

For a moment there I thoght that was Dawns backyard. Very beautiful! I will see you 7:30 Saturday AM and Prefer Monday 9:00 AM.
Cynthia

P Dawn said...

I;ll be at Tim's at 7.30 on Saturday but won't be joining you on Monday.

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely be out Saturday...not sure about Monday morning.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

gone hiking....gone all weekend.
but do enjoy your walk & watch out for the hail.
susan

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I probably won't make it; don't wait for me. Have a cold starting plus they're forecasting lightning for the am. Enjoy the long weekend, y'all. Cheers--Michelle.

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone,
Because I'm made mostly of sugar....I'm not going to join you for 18km (unless the forcast drammatically changes)I will do 18km on Monday am if anyone wants to join.....cheers, alexis

Anonymous said...

It's looking like Ian and I are going to do our 18 km on Sunday. He can't make Saturday and I am still coughing etc.. So I will be better on Sunday!!!
Enjoy your weekend everyone.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

I will not be out today, but will be out Monday morning

Anonymous said...

the last comment is mine.

Barb S.

Stacey said...

I likely won't be out at all this weekend - I'm away, but will do the 18K on my own. See you next week. Have a great long weekend everyone.
Stacey

debbie said...

Hi all,

I'm sorry I did not let you know I was not coming Saturday...I was just too tired and the weather too lousy, but my Internet was down so I could not let you know.

I'm now out of town for a couple of weeks, handling some family stuff.

I'll stay in touch and still hope to do the Toronto Women's Half with you!

Debbie

Jan said...

anybody walking tomorrow evening instead of the morning? I was planning on the morning but my son is playing tonight so we may be out late.

Helen said...

We'll be walking at 9 am. And, as we did the 18K on Saturday (and the rain mostly held off), it'll be just 8K. See you on Monday morning.