Tuesday 5 May 2009

Walk: Wed. April 6 @ Shoppers

Not sure how many people will be out on Wednesday, as the Hot Docs festival is in full swing. However, this Wednesday and next, we'll begin with some technique review at the track.

Meet at Shoppers as usual. We'll warm up on our way to the track at Coxwell and Cosburn, will do 30-45 minutes of technique, then head out for a shorter walk to make up our scheduled distance. So this Wednesday, it'll be track + 8K to make 11K. If we need more (or less) tech talk, we'll review the distance at that time. See you at 7 pm.

Before I leave, with sunny days on the increase, it's a good time to re-post this info on sunscreens provided by Ruth last year after a talk with one of Sunnybrook's dermatologists:

To get protection against both UVB rays and UVA rays, look for a product that contains mexoryl, helioplex, or parsol 1786. If you blank out when it comes to remembering chemical names, any product that carries the seal of the Canadian Dermatology Association will provide good broad spectrum protection. There is a list at the web site below.

http://www.dermatology.ca/patients_public/info_patients/sun_safety/recognized_sunscreens.html

The dermatologist's particular recommendations were:
La Roche Anthelios

Vichy

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer


These recommendations are based on finding a product that feels nice on your skin, so that you won’t mind using it. The most important thing is to find something you like, so that you’ll use it.


As my doctor recently burned off an iffy little lesion on my forearm, I'll be paying much more attention to my sun protection from now on.

4 comments:

P Dawn said...

i expect to be at Shopper's tonight.

Anonymous said...

Barbara:

I will not be out tonight as Ian and I are going to see Michelle Shocked at Hugh's Room. See you on Sat.
I met up with the north toronto Group last night and they are interested in joining us for some summer walks. They call themselves:Toronto Powerwalkers

Trish said...

I plan on being out tonight. I am picking up P Dawn on my way back from the chiro so I guess we will both be there.

Helen said...

My brain hurts and I'm coming down with Bob's cold, but I'll be there for at least a few drills round the track. See you at 7 pm.