Sunday 25 January 2009

Walk: Mon. Jan. 26 @ Loblaws

Quite a weekend, eh? An ice-cold -- or was that: a nice-cold? -- walk on Saturday (the film and dinner were fun, too), and two races on Sunday, with great showings for the Shore Things.

In Burlington, twelve of us completed the "chilly 8K", AKA the Robbie Burns event (Bob and Charlotte couldn't attend). We all finished well, with Arlene (guided by Libby) and Sheila taking age-category prizes. Like the Alfie Shrubb, it's a congenial community race, with novel distractions. This fella in blue-face dragging his stump for the whole distance, for instance. And you'll see some of the costumes on the Flickr page. We can also speak well for the quality of the porridge.

On the other side of the city, in Whitby, Marg & Rainer were holding up the Shore Things' growing reputation in the Philly's Haggis 5K -- each of them finishing first in their gender, as well as first place (Rainer) and third place (Marg) overall. Very well done. They even tried the haggis!

Monday's schedule posts 6K (ST-10) and 8K (Chilly). C'mon out. Think of it as a recovery walk. See you at 7 pm.

9 comments:

Jan said...

great photos! looks cccooollldd!

Trish said...

Great photos! Despite the cold it was a fun race. Porridge was delicious - probably all the brown sugar and cream I added. Thanks to our drivers for getting us there and back safely. If I have thawed out by tomorrow I will join you for the 6k recovery walk.

Anonymous said...

Bravo to all you Robbie Burns Walkers; I loved the photos, especially Trish's kilt! Hope you're all warming up with a hot toddy..or two!
Good news; my mum is home from the hospital, so she's doing better.
Hope to see you out this week; either Monday or Saturday, depending on work hours. Olwyn

Anonymous said...

Thanks to The Shore Things Waking Club for joining us yesterday. I would love to get a high-res copy of the photo of Mark Parsons dragging that tree stump.

Bob Brake
Race Director, Robbie Burns Race
bobbrake@eaton.com

Helen said...

I plan to be out tonight for an easy-going 6K. See you 7ish.

In the meantime, Happy Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day. Have some fun at this URL:

http://www.therightfoot.net/mystuff/whatever/swf/bubblewrap.swf

Anonymous said...

Don't think I am able to make it tonight, but hope to see you on Saturday (by then my blister should be healed or is it heeled)! Really enjoyed my day yesterday with everyone, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Don't think I am able to make it tonight, but hope to see you on Saturday (by then my blister should be healed or is it heeled)! Really enjoyed my day yesterday with everyone, thank you.

Trish said...

I am reneging on the walk tonight. Have a nasty headache and am headed for bed. See you Wed.

Anonymous said...

I will be out for the 6k tonight.

Barb