Friday 19 December 2008

Holiday Wishes

A client sent me this poem as a greeting for the season. I was touched by it – even more because the poet is Welsh, as my mother was – and I thought it was worth sending on. Hope you enjoy it in this weekend of snows:

SOMETIMES

Sometimes things don't go, after all
from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel
faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail,
sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war;
elect an honest man; decide they care
enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.
Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best efforts do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we mean to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen: may it happen to you.

by Sheenagh Pugh, a poet from Wales.

(Interestingly, Pugh hates this poem. For some FAQ side reading, click here.)

Bob and I won't be there for the Monday night walk – hope some of you get together for eggnog antidoting Ks at Loblaws. Then stock up on the rich stuff afterwards.

Our Wednesday walk falls on Christmas Eve. I might be up for a walk on the morning of, rather than in the evening. For an early start on the last-minuteness of it all, I'd suggest 8 am, with a distance of 5-6K. Would there be any takers? I'll check in later to see.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going out .... hope to see some of you there.
susan

Trish said...

I would take you up on the Wed morning. Are we meeting Tim's or somewhere more local?

Ruth said...

Wednesday morning is good for me - any location (Shoppers, Tim's).

Ruth

Helen said...

I had been thinking Shoppers for Wednesday morning. However, as two of the four takers are very close to Loblaws, and since we have to get the car out in either case, perhaps Loblaws would be best? It also gives us access to a washroom. Opinions?

Ruth said...

Loblaws works fine for me. They even have coffee (though it is downstairs, with no place to sit and enjoy it).

Anonymous said...

I'll plan to walk Wed. morning, especially if it is at Loblaws. I didn't make it Monday night (slow slow traffic) so I'll be doing double with Helen (who missed Sat.) and Trish (who missed Sat.)

Susan

Trish said...

Loblaws works for me - won't have to get out of the back lane. It will now just be dependent on the weather - if you can believe ice pellets. Hope not as I still need to get down Queen and get my turley.

Jan said...

I had planned on going out tomorrow morning, but I have last minute stuff to do for a client, not to mention Christmas, so I am going to pass - I am really going to need a walk soon though - I am feeling really sluggish.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Helen said...

Still hoping to get in a few klics, but if it's too soggy might be tempted to rethink. It was a long, white-knuckle drive from Quebec today. I still feel like I'm moving.

Anonymous said...

not going on Wed. am....too much snow....Merry Christmas everyone.

Susan

Trish said...

OK So it looks like I too am backing out this morning. While it looks like a beautiful morning the trudging through the smow will be the end of my knees.
Have a very Merry Christmas!

Helen said...

Okay -- I think that we'll also skip the walk this morning. Would hate to have anything mess up our Christmas -- and I have a big gang expecting turkey tomorrow.

See you at the Resolution. Have a happy holiday in between.